facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Hello From Eastern OK!

20 Sep 2020 11:47
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #1
Hello! I'm Andre Ming of eastern OK.

I started riding (dirt) in early spring of 1969 at the age of 16. Been riding ever since.

I've been into vinduro (VINtage enDURO) bikes since the late 1990s, however, I did go for a couple years or so without any vinduros. I currently own three vinduro bikes, two of which, as of about 3 or so weeks ago, are now up and running. All my vinduro bikes are "tiddlers". The two that run are:

'71 (mfg date) Zundapp GS125 (LOVE this bike.)
'72 (mfg date) DKW GS125. (Still sorting some nagging issues.)

The one waiting its turn for the lift table is:

'73 (mfg date) CZ 175 Trail

A picture of my Zundapp (if I'm doing the picture thing right):

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

A pic of my DKW:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

By now, you're probably wondering... so where's a Yamaha?

It isn't in the garage yet. In fact, I'm just starting the "knowledge quest" about the finer points of the Yamaha 125 enduro's w/electric start. BUT... it's not for me. (At 6' 1" w/33" inseam, I don't fit a small frame tiddler bike, one of the reasons I ride West German tiddlers.) No, this is for the wife.

My wife has ridden off road and dual sport with me (off/on) since the late 1970s. She's taken various hiatus' from riding, but last year she said that if I'd promise to not taker her on some of the crap I used to try to take her over, that she'd like to ride again, but ONLY on forest roads, county dirt roads, back road pavement, etc. I agreed, she did (her aboard the XT225, me aboard my WR250R), and I have kept my promise. She loves it more than she ever has now, because she's riding for HER love of riding and not MY love of riding. She's racked up over 3000 dual sport miles our last riding season! (Riding season: Roughly late Sept into May.)

I've just recently hooked up with a vintage tiddler group (T-Town Tiddlers) here in the region I live, and my first group ride with them will be Nov. 7th, right here in my part of OK. A friend of mine offered my wife one his tiddlers (in this case a Honda XL100) to ride so she can ride with us. Surprisingly, she has tentatively agreed to ride the little XL100. (I told her it would almost be like riding her KE100's that she's owned over the years.)

I've said ALL the above to let you know where I'm coming from (and my wife, too) so that I can tell you this:

The other day she shocked the snot of me by asking about possibly getting her a vinduro bike for these tiddler rides, as well as our own tiddler rides. HOWEVER, she asked... is there one with electric start? (She's spoiled to the magic button.) I said an enduro-type bike with an electric start pretty much puts her on a Yamaha 125 enduro from the early-mid 70s.

I described that a Yamaha 125 Enduro w/electric start would have a much lower seat height than the XT225 (32" vs about 28") so she could likely flat foot the stop signs, and it will weigh another 20+ lbs lighter than the XT225 as well as having a lower center of gravity (making it feel even lighter), BUT it would have no where near the chugging power of the XT225 but noticeably more power than her little KE100's she used to ride.

She's interested.

SO.. I'm here to learn more about the Yamaha 125 Enduro's with electric start. Such things as their strong points, weak points, how fragile the electric start system is, can it be fixed when it fails, are crucial parts available, etc, etc.

Of course, if it gets to the "serious" stage, I would hope that you all can give me some tips on such a bike that is for sale.

Any tips, pointers, cautions, whatever, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andre Ming aka "Vinduroman".

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R
The following user(s) Liked this Post Scootern29, Rick C., Badger52, Von, LongStride, YZBill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Sep 2020 11:59
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #2
Hey welcome and thanks for the back story! Well, not exactly a 125 but I've owned a 1972 CT2 175 and XT225 at the same time. The CT2 175 frame is the same as the AT2 125 frame, in fact the engine is similar enough that a 175 piston and barrel can be swapped on, I think that takes the 175 wrist pin too - if you want more power.

It wont chug along quite as well as the XT225 but for a two stroke it does surprisingly well, better low end than a '72 Suzuki TS185. The CT2 is shorter and lighter than the XT225 by a surprising amount. I've found it to be a super reliable ride that's never left me stranded in the 3k miles I've owned it, an unrestored bike that had a fresh top end put on it. Parts are very available, but I don't know enough about the electrical system of the electric start model to chime in on that, I'm sure others will.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2016 Yamaha WR250R

20 Sep 2020 12:04
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #3
Welcome Welcome! Vinduroman, that's a great story and your local tiddler ride sounds like a lot of fun. Your Zundap and DKW look awesome! Have I seen your bikes on ADVrider?

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
20 CB500X Halfrica Twin

20 Sep 2020 12:38 20 Sep 2020 12:39 by Vinduroman.
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #4
darinm:

If it were me, I would would prefer more power than what a Yam 125 Enduro will deliver, but it's not for me. Plus, as mentioned, I just don't fit the small frame bikes so they're a bit awkward for me to ride. Case in point, my Zundapp has something like a 33" seat height and the DKW a bit taller than that. They are both TALLER than the XT225 the wife rides on dual sport rides. When she swung a leg over the Zundapp yesterday, she had to tippy-toe to touch the ground when! Plus, both bikes are quite "aristocratic" with accompanying idiosyncrasies, and you have to ride them accordingly, thus, neither the Zundapp or the DKW are realistic for the wife as a tiddler ride. Otherwise, we would just use the DKW and the Zundapp: Me on one, her on the other. She could probably kick start the Zundapp, it's super easy, but the DKW with its Sachs engine is awkward to kick and has a TON of compression, so her being able to kick start it would be out of the question. However, there's the height as well as the "race bike" nature of the Zundapp and DKW. (The DKW has 24 HP.) I figure the Yam 125 with its electric start and much more "user friendly" nature, would be just the ticket. Besides, IF NEEDED (i.e. the starter quits), I'm sure it can be kick started easily enough... about like the KE100's that she used to kick start herself.

Hi KennyV!

Thanks for your kind words on the post and the pics. Yes, I also post some at ADVrider. However, my main "hang outs" are my "Vinduro" Facebook page for vinduro-type bikes of all persuasions, and the FB page "Vintage Dualsport Motorcycles and Dirtbikes".

All fer now!

V-man

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R

20 Sep 2020 17:17
1971DT250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #5
Enjoyed reading your background. Having a wife that rides is great. Having a wife that wants a vintage Yamaha Enduro is really great. Does she have a sister?

The 175 Enduro is easy to kick start. I suggest picking that over the 125, the electric start with the 12V battery ignition is more complicated than the 6V magneto ignitions of the other Enduros.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

21 Sep 2020 05:44
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #6
Hi '71DT250!

I'm a'feared the electric start is the strongest drawing card. Give that up, and she's not interested. As lightweight as my wife is, she'll be fine with the power of a 125 in view of what we would do with a pair of his/hers vinduros. Besides, she used to ride all over the nearby mountains on KE100's!

I've found one, but I think she's gonna' gag at the price and knowing her (married to her for 47 years), I highly suspect the high cost of buying in could end her idea of her own vinduro bike. We shall see!

V-man

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R

21 Sep 2020 17:30
apex
Content Contributor
Content Contributor
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #7
The biggest drawback, from my perspective, is if the riding will be pavement mostly, factory gearing makes 45 mph a comfortable speed, and 50-55 in bursts, not sustained. If that's the range your group will be riding in then it'll be fine. But if cruising speeds need to be 50-55, you'll have to go after a bigger front sprocket. I have a 16/45 setup on my kid's '72 125 and it'll now cruise 55 no problem...except of course the next issue is into the wind/uphills, the engine struggles. Can't do much with 14 hp.

Which is why the 175 top end on the 125 electric start bottom end is a good combo for street & higher speed cruising. "Except..." in my experience the electric start struggles with a cold 175 startup, and is an easy once warmed up startup. So cold it may need to be kicked.

The '72 model has re-shaped seat foam and overall height, so if "can I touch at a stop?" is a worry, the '72 & '73 are good choices.

Allrighty Then
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

21 Sep 2020 18:26
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #8
Hi apex:

Thanks for your input.

The vinduro rides we will do as a couple will be paved back roads and forest (dirt) roads/county dirt roads. Our rides will be able to controlled to the point that any back road pavement required can be negotiated at sustained 40-45 MPH. The group rides I mention stays off main highways (obscure back roads mainly) and also holds top speed to about 40-45 MPH.

However, when it comes sprocket time, assuming our future 125 has stock gearing, I can foresee considering gearing it for more top end at the expense of down low crawling. However, that would be decided after we see how its speed range compares to the vinduro bikes I will be riding, that is, my Zundapp GS125 or my DKW, GS125, both having stock gearing.

Seat height:

I can't seem to find the data on seat heights, but I "think" I recall it being something like 28" - 29". She currently has to tip-toe on the 32" seat height of the XT225, so lowering the seat height another 3"-4" would really be helpful.

Weight:

Can't find two spec sheets that agree. The one I "hope" is correct is the one listing the 125's weight at 100kg/220.46 lbs, which would be nearly a 20 lb reduction from the XT as well as lower center of gravity which will make the 220 lbs feel even lighter than it truly is.

V-man

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R

21 Sep 2020 18:51
darinm
Collector
Collector
More
Hello From Eastern OK! #9
Height is substantially lower than the XT225. I'm quite short and could do both toes on the XT225 and can do both feet on the 125 frame.

Weight, both are weighed dry, so their real world weight is higher, I think the XT225 comes in around 260 plus a rack if you have one, hand guards and the farkles new bikes tend to acquire, while the 125 weight is with the factory rack.

1972 Yamaha CT2 175
1972 Suzuki TS 185 Sierra
2016 Yamaha WR250R

21 Sep 2020 19:14
Vinduroman
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Hello From Eastern OK! #10
darinm:

Seat height confimation:

Excellent! That's exactly what I was hoping for!

Weight:

Spec sheets for the XT225 has the same weight issue as the spec sheets for the 125! (Inconsistency.) The lightest one said 238 lbs, but didn't indicate if dry or wet. Either way, a small tiddler 2s in a smaller frame surely has to be lighter than a larger cc 4s in a larger frame.

V-man

'72 Zundapp GS125
'72 DKW GS125
'73 Yamaha AT3 (Wife's!)
'73 CZ 175 Trail
'02 Yamaha XT225
'12 Yamaha WR250R

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart