facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

...And Then There Were Three

08 Aug 2020 07:29 08 Aug 2020 08:03 by Noobz. Reason: Photo Blunder
Noobz
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
...And Then There Were Three #1
Greetings fellow motorheads.

Short part - About me:

I'm a machine junky; Cars, motorcycles, aircraft, computers, and robotics. I have operated an automobile forum for more than 20 years that remains privately owned and operated and I fully appreciate the value of these kinds of forums over bookface and Twits.

Now the real portion of why I'm here:

I recently came into possession of 3 bikes. I have two 71 AT1 125s and a 71 DT1 250. I started with the best looking of the 125s and promptly put it back in its parking spot to move to second best after finding the fuel tank lining spread all over the inside of the gas tank and covered in a heavy coat of rust (ick).

Here are some images of the AT1 before cleanup began:

I still have a clutch pack and set of fork seals on order for this one. I have a few other details that I want to address as maintenance dictates the removal of various parts.

I'll put some 'after' shots in the next post.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post LongStride

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Aug 2020 07:35
Noobz
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
...And Then There Were Three #2

It looks a bit better IMO. Heh

The following user(s) Liked this Post Steve F, LongStride

08 Aug 2020 07:50 08 Aug 2020 08:06 by Noobz.
Noobz
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
...And Then There Were Three #3
The one that needs the most work is the 250. It is probably the one that I will adopt for myself and use to run down to the store for milk, beer, and smokes:

I've begun the tear-down of the 250. It's taken me two days just to get [most] of the dirt and grime off. It's been caked on for years and given a helping hand by all of the fluid blowing back from the leaking forks.

I've not even tried running this one yet. It still has all the old fluids etc. Once I'm satisfied that all the pressure washing is done, I'll change fluids and rebuild the carb then crank it up and see if it leaks anywhere.

Thanks you all for the add and thanks for the small cache of technical documents that I've already discovered! :)

I'll get a Tech/Progress thread going in the near future. I don't think it will too ominous. Overall, these bikes all appear to be in pretty good shape. They are all in "Barn Find" condition versus "Open Field".

A quick note about where I found these; These are the motorcycles that my lovely wife, her friends and family rode when she was a little kid. Her dad finally reached the, "These gotta go" decision and I happened to be around to say, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!".

The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, LongStride

08 Aug 2020 08:39
Midlife Motor
Open Class
Open Class
More
...And Then There Were Three #4
Way to save these bikes. Looking forward to your progress.

It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

08 Aug 2020 09:26
Noobz
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
...And Then There Were Three #5
Thanks! I believe it's a sickness. I needed another hobby like I need another hole in my head. LoL

I didn't want them to get parted out and I don't think my father-in-law wanted to see that happen either. My plan is to restore (fully, over time) and keep them in the family.

As it happens, their birthday is the same as mine. :EEEK
The following user(s) Liked this Post apex, 2fishkev, Steve F, KennyV, Gr8uncleal, LongStride

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart