facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

wiring

10 Jul 2020 12:55
#1RT2
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
wiring #1
New to the sight just joined today in fact My name is Dave 62yrs young just purchased a 1972 Rt2 I'm changing out the hacked up original wiring harness with a very expensivve NOS harness purchased on ebay my question is can any one tell me where the single black lead from the coil plugs in? I'll remember to take pictures before disconnecting next time. Thanks in advance for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jul 2020 13:13 10 Jul 2020 13:16 by DEET.
DEET
More
wiring #2
Did you buy one of the harnesses that I make? My eBay store is Enduro Doctor.
I send a diagram with my harness showing where every wire goes.

The ignition coil wire plugs into the main harness. The black wire it plugs into comes out of the harness at the same location as the black grounding ring terminal.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...

10 Jul 2020 13:13
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
wiring #3
Welcome! from the UK.

Photos of mine attached.

Likely to be a single (albeit fed by 2 wires) female bullet connector exiting the main harness just in front of the part label - attach this to the male from the coil.

Do not, repeat, do not use the single black wire exiting the generator harness, roughly level with the carb - this is a points diagnostic wire and you won't get a spark if wired to earth.

The white wire from the generator is spare.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post 2fishkev

10 Jul 2020 13:20
DEET
More
wiring #4

Gr8uncleal wrote: Do not, repeat, do not use the single black wire exiting the generator harness, roughly level with the carb - this is a points diagnostic wire and you won't get a spark if wired to earth.

????
The coil plugs into a black wire that is electrically the same as the 2 black wires coming from the magneto.

I agree that you should not ground those wires... but I don't think that is what he is doing.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

10 Jul 2020 13:29
#1RT2
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
wiring #5
Your a life saver I see that wire in the new harness but thought with it being black it was a ground I will connect it there. Thanks again for the quick reply one more question can you tell me where the neg battery terminal connects. Thanks Dave

10 Jul 2020 13:31
#1RT2
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
wiring #6
Unfortunately no a diagram would have been great

10 Jul 2020 13:48
DEET
More
wiring #7
Battery should have a ring terminal that grounds to the frame.

10 Jul 2020 14:47
#1RT2
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
wiring #8
Have a black lead with the large round eyelet will connect it to the frame then the battery Thanks again for the help and the pictures you sent were perfect took all the guess work out of the equation

10 Jul 2020 15:48 10 Jul 2020 15:49 by DEET.
DEET
More
wiring #9
That doesn't sound correct.

The battery should have a black wire permanently attached to it with a ring terminal. That ring attaches to the frame under the seat.
The main wire harness has a black wire with a ring terminal that attaches to the ignition coil mounting bracket.
There is one other ring terminal jumper that attaches to the bottom stud on the battery box and its other end plugs into a black male connector coming from the wire harness behind the air filter box.

The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

11 Jul 2020 00:15
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
wiring #10

DEET wrote:

Gr8uncleal wrote: Do not, repeat, do not use the single black wire exiting the generator harness, roughly level with the carb - this is a points diagnostic wire and you won't get a spark if wired to earth.

????
The coil plugs into a black wire that is electrically the same as the 2 black wires coming from the magneto.

I agree that you should not ground those wires... but I don't think that is what he is doing.

Just thought I'd pre-empt with answers before queries regarding those two wires were raised!

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart