facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

RT3 headlight.

07 Apr 2020 12:14
Yamrt3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
RT3 headlight. #1
The RT3 being a 6 volt system, does the engine need to be running for the headlight to funtion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Apr 2020 12:43
HouseofEnduro
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
RT3 headlight. #2
Yes, it does.

07 Apr 2020 13:21
Yamrt3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
RT3 headlight. #3
Thanks, great news. That means I have all the electrics sorted out finally. What a process. I couldn't check the light myself due to the bike still on the lift and I'm putting it all back together or I would have just started it and checked myself. Asking you guys was just a faster way to ease my mind.

Time to find and buy another old Yamaha and get it going. This hobby is very addictive. Thanks again.

07 Apr 2020 13:53 07 Apr 2020 13:53 by Gr8uncleal.
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
RT3 headlight. #4
Have I mentioned voltage regulators yet?!

I have attached a link below to Yamaha's own Service Bulletin on it.

Some people swear by sticking a 12v bulb in the headlight. However, if you're still running the sealed beam (which you can test by connecting it direct to a 6v battery), then that isn't an option for you at the moment.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/service-bul...e-voltage-regulators

07 Apr 2020 14:02
1971DT250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
RT3 headlight. #5

Yamrt3 wrote: Thanks, great news. That means I have all the electrics sorted out finally. What a process. I couldn't check the light myself due to the bike still on the lift and I'm putting it all back together or I would have just started it and checked myself. Asking you guys was just a faster way to ease my mind.

Time to find and buy another old Yamaha and get it going. This hobby is very addictive. Thanks again.

What are you looking for? I have some for sale.

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

07 Apr 2020 16:03
Yamrt3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
RT3 headlight. #6
The bike has a sealed beam, I suspect that's stock for this bike and it is working. Would this be a good way to stay for now? I won't be driving at night anyway.

07 Apr 2020 16:10
Yamrt3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
RT3 headlight. #7
I want to stay with enduros due to the fact that I can use them on the street as well as trails. Nothing smaller than a 250 and preferably Yamaha due to the help in this forum and parts availability. I have this RT now, probably a DT series for a change, mid to late seventies, 175cc and up. It would depend on where you are. I'm on Vancouver island in British Columbia.

08 Apr 2020 00:12
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
RT3 headlight. #8

Yamrt3 wrote: The bike has a sealed beam, I suspect that's stock for this bike and it is working. Would this be a good way to stay for now? I won't be driving at night anyway.

I'd go with fitting a regulator then.

08 Apr 2020 00:14
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
RT3 headlight. #9

Yamrt3 wrote: I want to stay with enduros due to the fact that I can use them on the street as well as trails. Nothing smaller than a 250 and preferably Yamaha due to the help in this forum and parts availability. I have this RT now, probably a DT series for a change, mid to late seventies, 175cc and up. It would depend on where you are. I'm on Vancouver island in British Columbia.

So you've waved farewell to our royal resident then?!

08 Apr 2020 19:00
Yamrt3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
RT3 headlight. #10
Got your message about getting a regulator. If my sealed beam is working now, why would you suggest a regulator? I suspect, like our other messages on my bike's issues that you have helped me with fixing, you must have a good reason for this. Sounds like it would be in my interest to hear it. Thanks.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart