facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

RT3 swing arm removal.

23 Feb 2020 16:11
Yamrt3
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
RT3 swing arm removal. #1
Still pretty new at these enduro bikes. I have an RT3 and have taken all the back end apart to pull the swing arm due to the right side grease fitting is broken inside the end of the shaft. I thought the swing arm shaft just pulled out like the rear axel but it won't budge. I tried to tap it free but no luck and I don't want to damage anything. Any advice on what I should try next. Still pretty new at these things.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Feb 2020 18:10
mike8162
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
RT3 swing arm removal. #2
The swing arm shaft is probably rusted together with one or all three collars in there. I soaked mine with penetrating oil for a couple days. Then I sacrificed the nut which I threaded about three quarters of the way on and used an air hammer. No damage to the shaft, I was hoping it wouldn't distort the threads on the shaft and fortunately it didn't. It would not budge with a hammer manually. You will probably have to replace the two outer collars and the bushings. I know some are using brass bushings, I used the factory nylon bushings which are still available through Yamaha.

Cheers

23 Feb 2020 18:34
johninga
Open Class
Open Class
More
RT3 swing arm removal. #3
can you drill a hole in the threaded remains of the grease fitting and remove it with an ease-out? It should not be in to tight.

23 Feb 2020 19:15
Yamrt3
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
RT3 swing arm removal. #4
Two great solutions to my problem. I'll be doing both of those first thing tomorrow. The swing arm moves very freely up and down and has no sloppiness to it at all, so if I can just change the grease fitting I'm good with that. I'm just wondering if I should still try to get the shaft out and replace all the bushings regardless and make it like new. What would you pros do in my situation? That's my last bothersom question on this matter, thanks in advance.

24 Feb 2020 03:06
Schu
Collector
Collector
More
RT3 swing arm removal. #5
I'm not a pro by any stretch....but I would try and remove the broken fitting as my first approach. Especially since you have been able to verify there is no slop at the pivot point.

Schu

70 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha CT175
71 Yamaha JT60
72 Yamaha JT60 (2)
74 Yamaha DT360
75 Yamaha GT80
75 Yamaha DT100
75 Yamaha DT125
75 Yamaha DT175
76 Yamaha DT175
75 Yamaha DT250 (2)
75 Yamaha DT400
76 Honda Z50
17 Yamaha SCR950

"Someday, you'll own some Yamahas"

24 Feb 2020 07:37
Yamrt3
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
RT3 swing arm removal. #6
That sounds reasonable, first thing this morning, I'll remove and replace tho old grease fitting and see where I stand then. Thanks, Dan.

24 Feb 2020 08:58
Yamrt3
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
RT3 swing arm removal. #7
Just tried the drill/easy out method for the grease fitting, worked perfectly and the new fitting is in place. Great help, much appreciated. I've put WD40 at each end of the pivot shaft to see if it will come loose, if it does not I know I have good movement in it anyway and a new grease fitting installed. Thanks for all the help on this. Talk soon, more work to do today. New brakes all around.

24 Feb 2020 09:33
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
RT3 swing arm removal. #8
Good news, well done! :likey

If you're stuck for a read on a long cold winter's night, entertain yourself by looking up on the forum other folks' efforts to remove their own swing arm shaft/bolt!

24 Feb 2020 09:38
Yamrt3
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
RT3 swing arm removal. #9
Never thought about checking on what others have done. Thanks for that. I'll get on that sooner than later since I have the back end of the bike all torn down already. Thanks again.

24 Feb 2020 11:37
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
RT3 swing arm removal. #10

Yamrt3 wrote: Never thought about checking on what others have done. Thanks for that. I'll get on that sooner than later since I have the back end of the bike all torn down already. Thanks again.

It'll make you chuckle!

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart