facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Finding parts for my beloved Vintage Yamaha's

20 Feb 2020 19:55
29George
More
Topic Author
Finding parts for my beloved Vintage Yamaha's #1
I am working on restoring several Vintage Yamaha's......I will be needing parts and services for some of the things I don't have the knowledge or tool to do the job.......Mostly I will be needing a few good parts sources.

The Bikes are a 1973 Yamaha LT3 100 MX........and a 1982 Yamaha XT250.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

George........ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2020 22:40
Rick C.
Collector
Collector
More
Finding parts for my beloved Vintage Yamaha's #2
Welcome George, You found the spot !!
Someone will chime in and chat about those bikes soon.

21 Feb 2020 01:01 21 Feb 2020 01:04 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: text
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Finding parts for my beloved Vintage Yamaha's #3
Welcome! from the UK George.

First up, check out this forum's Tech Library using the menu bar above for any parts, service manuals etc.

Regarding sourcing parts, first of all do as much research as you can as to what the exact part you need actually looks like - sounds obvious, but quite a few vendors mis-describe what they are selling. Usually not deliberate, but it might be in the wrong packaging or a friend of a friend told them what it was off! Period photographs, brochures etc can be useful sources for this info.

As many Yamaha models shared common parts, use websites such as Partzilla (US based) and CMSNL (Europe) to see which bikes, according to their databases, shared a part. To do this, once you have found the exploded diagram for the area of the bike you are looking at (on both sites, this is a fairly straightforward follow the instructions process), select the specific part, scroll down and both sites will show other bikes that used this part. If you are very lucky, there might also be a photograph of the part. Knowing what other bikes shared a part will enable you to widen your search.

With regards to sourcing parts, a good place to start is a wanted advert on this forum! Ebay can be very useful, as can a general internet search. Some motorbike breakers will batch loads of parts up into one listing and a part that you need might be in there (sell on what you don't need), so search on ebay under job, joblot, lot, misc, miscellaneous - you get the idea!

Hope that this helps and good luck!
The following user(s) Liked this Post 2fishkev, FrankC

21 Feb 2020 07:37
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
Finding parts for my beloved Vintage Yamaha's #4
For eBay type year/model/part, then the word "used". Cuts down on all the new junk.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart