facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Checking a coil

20 Feb 2020 18:02
Hockins
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
Checking a coil #1
I get no spark on my 72 DT2. Bought a coil off the internet and I'm getting readings of .09 ohms on Primary side (ohm meter set at 200) and 2.88 on the secondary side. (Ohm meter set at 20K). Book says should be 6500.

Did I get fleeced on the coil or am I measuring wrong? If I have bogus coil, does anyone have a working one to sell?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Feb 2020 18:58 20 Feb 2020 19:06 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Checking a coil #2
Yes my original yamaha workshop sheets says 'that' 0.9 primary & 6.5 thousand secondary. I don't think readings are set in stone, but does sound a long way off secondary. try it set on one K ohms but i'm getting out of my depth. Check the source coil in the mag if all else fails, as that's what drive everything. Says 1.53 ohms. Just thinking if you have a plug cap on the coil ya testing then add about 5 grand. [resistor type cap that is].
Keep editing as anything bracketed early in the writing doesn't show when posted. Then the style of writing changes --I dunno.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart