facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New From Maryland

09 Dec 2019 12:54 14 Dec 2019 19:20 by Makotosun.
JimmyC
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
New From Maryland #1
Jimmy here. Had a few Yamaha Enduros over the years. Started back in the 1970's. JT1's 2's , 73 DT360. I just picked up a complete 1976 DT400 all original with 1100 miles on it from my cousin. He bought the bike brand new. The interesting thing is, it was delivered to the motorcycle shop with 250 stickers. I know this as fact as I remember when he got it ( I was 18). We thought it was cool because some of the guys couldn't figure out why that 250 was faster than other 250's.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post 1971DT250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Dec 2019 14:47
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
New From Maryland #2
Welcome. now that's a good trick, 250 stickers, might try that myself haha.

09 Dec 2019 17:19
Badger52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
New From Maryland #3
A “wolf in sheep’s clothing”, this would appear to be quite rare. Very nice of your cousin to keep it in the family. You also have a unique style of Yamahauler parked in the garage.

288501A
Attachments:

09 Dec 2019 18:47 09 Dec 2019 19:24 by JimmyC. Reason: spelling
JimmyC
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
New From Maryland #4

Badger52 wrote: A “wolf in sheep’s clothing”, this would appear to be quite rare. Very nice of your cousin to keep it in the family. You also have a unique style of Yamahauler parked in the garage.

I believe 2 of these 400's were delivered to Blalock cycles in Wheaton, MD. with the 250 badging. I've told my cousin for years my interest in the bike because I took my motorcycle test on it for the MVA. The bike hasn't been started in over 20 years. I had to clean the tank and carb. I checked the mag for debre and the oil injection to make sure it was working. This thing fired right up. Went to ride it and of course the clutch would not disengage. I rode it for a while to put heat in it and put it in 3rd gear with the clutch lever pulled in. I hit the throttle and let off multiple times and the clutch now works perfect. Things needed to make it whole, air filter, gasket for the oil injection pump ( tore when I took the cover off), battery, straps for the CDI and tool kit. Everything else is 100% original and 0 dry rot on the tires. I cleaned the bike up but don't want to touch up paint anything because of its originality. Also had these low profile mirrors on it. Not sure if they're Yamaha but stamped Japan. Need to clean them up an put them back on.

I have interest in a few things hence the truck. I collect mini bikes, old toys (slot cars, cox gas cars, model kits, ect.) Fly RC helicopters.
Attachments:

09 Dec 2019 19:42
DEET
More
New From Maryland #5
Have you got a photo of the other side?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...
The following user(s) Liked this Post shyted

09 Dec 2019 20:03 09 Dec 2019 20:11 by JimmyC. Reason: spelling
JimmyC
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
New From Maryland #6

DEET wrote: Have you got a photo of the other side?

The other side of the mirrors?
I started to clean them, still need to do the other one and both mounting hardware. Each one is missing a screw.
Attachments:

09 Dec 2019 20:32
DEET
More
New From Maryland #7
No.
The other side of the bike.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...

09 Dec 2019 20:43
JimmyC
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
Topic Author
New From Maryland #8

DEET wrote: No.
The other side of the bike.

Attachments:

09 Dec 2019 23:43 09 Dec 2019 23:43 by Gr8uncleal. Reason: more text
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
New From Maryland #9
Cracking find!

Over here in the UK, when the law changed in the early 1980s to reduce the capacity of bikes that learners could ride from 250 to 125, a lot of owners of RD200s just changed the side panels on their bikes, or the stickers thereon. I bought what I thought was a RD125 that had failed its annual MoT (safety test), but on closer inspection turned out to be a RD200 wearing RD125 stickers - the electric start was a bit of a giveaway!

10 Dec 2019 05:42
1971DT250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
New From Maryland #10
Hi Jimmy,

I'm in northern Virginia. We may have crossed paths back in the day. Me and my buddies would hang out in all the dealers in the DC area. I remember Mr. Blalock. He was very gracious to us while we were sitting on the bikes in the show room and helping ourselves to the brochures on the counter.

Bill

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart