facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

1973??? yamaha enduro not getting spark

13 Nov 2019 06:07 13 Nov 2019 06:09 by iconley21.
iconley21
More
Topic Author
1973??? yamaha enduro not getting spark #1
Hi i am new here, i recently was scrolling through craigslist and found a older enduro for 100$ and it seemed in decent(ish) shape i am new to these bikes and really didnt need another motorcycle. my issue is what seems to be a similar issue to what many people have. i am not getting spark to the spark plug but i have all lights and the engine will turn over with the electric start. but i am really not sure where to start, i would like to get the bike running and i figured someone here might have some insight on what i should do to get some spark. i have restored a few bikes but i think i am going to leave this one as trail beater and hopefully tackle some michigan trails in the summer and i would like it to be reliable by then. any insight would be greatly appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Nov 2019 06:41
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
1973??? yamaha enduro not getting spark #2
Looks to be an AT3. You can verify with the VIN lists in the Tech library.

It has a 12 volt generator/starter system. Completely different than the other Enduro models that had 6 volt magnetos. As far as spark, it's a battery/points system just like cars had. Much easier to troubleshoot spark issues..

You need to have a good 12 volt battery for spark on that model. First step I'd take is clean the contact points.

Tech library has manuals with pretty good troubleshooting... just make sure you're looking at the 125 electric start which was basically the same design from 1969 to 1976 in the USA... early manuals sometimes have more details.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

13 Nov 2019 08:12
iconley21
More
Topic Author
1973??? yamaha enduro not getting spark #3
I put some sandpaper in the points because they were full of rust, but still nothing. Although I didn’t have the bolt in the thing on the outside. Sorry I don’t know what it’s called but I attached a photo

13 Nov 2019 08:13
iconley21
More
Topic Author
1973??? yamaha enduro not getting spark #4
Attachments:

13 Nov 2019 10:02
shyted
Collector
Collector
More
1973??? yamaha enduro not getting spark #5
Hello mate and welcome along.
Step one,print the workshop manual of this here site .It's free. You will see the heading on the top line.
2. Get your self a multi meter if you don't already have one.
3.Make sure the battery is fully charged.
4.Check all the earth points and clean them if you need to.
5.Check all the connectors for corrosion. Clean them if you have to.
6.Check the coil connections.
7.Check the HT lead and cap are screwed in tight
8.change the plug for one you know works
9.Change anything that looks bad because it usually is .
10.Now your ready to find the fault if you haven't done already.
You will narrow your work scope down massively just by doing the things i've listed.
Don't flit around like a flee clutching at straws. Be methodical and don't guess.Make sure you have 12V at the coil.Therefore you know your switch is operating. Go from there.Read the diagnostic checks.
Good luck chief.
Regards Ted
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, 2fishkev, Snglsmkr

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart