facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine?

06 Nov 2019 11:14
Middy63
More
Topic Author
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #1
My 2 sons recently bought me a restoration project, it was advertised as a US barn find DT1 DT250 1973. When it arrived I discovered that the Frame number was DT1F -22088 and the Engine number was DT1- 22088. It has no wiring loom at all, no lights, indicators, ignition or even a battery. My dilemma is that I don't know what model or official year my bike is, so I can't start to buy any spares because I don't know if they will be correct. Does anybody have any advice. Many thanks Middy63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Nov 2019 11:17
monel12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #2
Go to the tech library on this site and look for vin numbers, you will find your answer.

1971 RT 1B
1971 RT 1B
1970 RT 1
1970 RT 1
1969 CT 1
1971 DT 1
1974 100MX
2016 BMW F700 GS
1982 Yamaha Towny
1971 CT 1
1975 DT400

06 Nov 2019 11:45 06 Nov 2019 11:45 by Gr8uncleal.
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #3

Middy63 wrote: My 2 sons recently bought me a restoration project, it was advertised as a US barn find DT1 DT250 1973. When it arrived I discovered that the Frame number was DT1F -22088 and the Engine number was DT1- 22088. It has no wiring loom at all, no lights, indicators, ignition or even a battery. My dilemma is that I don't know what model or official year my bike is, so I can't start to buy any spares because I don't know if they will be correct. Does anybody have any advice. Many thanks Middy63

The text of the advert makes me think that you are in the UK? Welcome! from another Brit if you are - a few of us here now.

I have attached a link to what you need below - looks like you have a 1971 DT1E. A lot of the UK importers mis-describe what they're selling - nothing malicious, they just don't know!

Loads of manuals in the Tech Library and worth a couple of hours of your time browsing and searching through the forum for info and tips.

Also, post some photos of what you've got! :Useless :Useless

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/250-cc-vin-numbers

06 Nov 2019 12:58
Middy63
More
Topic Author
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #4
Yes in UK, cheers for link, will have a look
Later

06 Nov 2019 17:35
Ctune80
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #5
There are a couple of things that don't add up, the frame and engine should have the same number both should have the DT1F prefix.
It sounds like you may have a '71 model DT1E Badge tank model Mandarin Orange Serial DT1F-20101 to 45120

If so it will be a piston port induction model with no reed valves

The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient.....

06 Nov 2019 23:04
Middy63
More
Topic Author
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #6
I agree that it may well be a 1971 DT1E.

06 Nov 2019 23:44
shyted
Collector
Collector
More
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #7
Hello mate and welcome along.
Where in the UK are you?
Put some pics of your bike up then we can see what you have and then where you're up to.
Regards Dave

07 Nov 2019 01:28
Mauser
Open Class
Open Class
More
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #8

shyted wrote: Hello mate and welcome along.
Where in the UK are you?
Put some pics of your bike up then we can see what you have and then where you're up to.
Regards Dave

Yeah don't be shy us Brits need to stick together lol, keep them pond boys in check !!!

RT2 ~ XR650R ~ DT175MX ~ ZX12R ~ XJR1300 ~ DT125LC ~ XR250R ~ XL125R ~ RD350LC ~ MT50 ~ GPZ1100

07 Nov 2019 02:18
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #9
Apologies if you know some or all of this already, but here are a few tips for sourcing parts:-

Familiarise yourself with what the parts actually look like by viewing as many photos of original bikes, brochures etc as you can. A fair few vendors don’t actually know what they’re selling and so often mis-describe them. Also, new old stock (nos) parts may have been taken out of their original packaging, but put back in a different, incorrectly labelled one.

Don’t limit your search just to parts for your own model. A lot of generic parts (eg indicators) were used on a load of different models. CMSNL (in Holland) and Partzilla (in the US) are good websites for both buying parts and seeing which other models used that part. On either site, if you click on the part number and scroll down, you can see which other bikes that part was fitted to. The slight limitation on this is that their databases are limited to US models.

If you intend putting the bike back on to the road, seriously consider fitting a 6v voltage regulator. I have attached the Yamaha Bulletin on this subject below.

Some forum members are able to supply new original or high quality reproduction parts – eg DEET has, amongst many other items, replacement silver/grey sheething that covers the wiring, 6v regulators and I believe that he also makes brand new complete wiring harnesses/looms. Therefore don’t be afraid to ask here for any parts that you need.

All the best.

Alan

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

07 Nov 2019 09:17
Middy63
More
Topic Author
what exactly is my bike model and year, and is it genuine? #10
I am in Northamptonshire. I will put up some photos of bike once I've worked out how to do it. Cheers David

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart