facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Oil Seal replacement on left side

01 Nov 2019 13:53
PigDoc
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Oil Seal replacement on left side #1
I ordered 3 oil seals from E Bay for my DT3 for the left side. The one I'm concerned about was: 93102-12321-00. What came was made in China and was marked LY110-Seal-YFZ350 Banshee 350. Looking at other sites with 93102-12321-00, genuine Yamaha, lists for 80's various models. Any input would be appreciated. I took that part number directly from Yamaha Genuine Parts DT2_RT2_DT3_RT3 manual. I get a leak particularly after driving not very significant but thought this might be a good fix. I ordered a new sealing boot too.

Finally, I was told earlier from someone on the forum these could be replaced by prying out old ones and carefully tapping new ones in place? Just confirming.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Charlie Francisco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Nov 2019 15:58
LETSJET
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Oil Seal replacement on left side #2
Couple of youtube videos out there they may help, although one guy puts the seal in backwards. I'm about to do the left side of my RT2 which is the same seal. Pretty sure left side is for the air side and the right side is the oil side. If it smokes probably the right side seal, if it won't tune, idle or runs poorly, most likely the left side seal leaking air. Somebody correct me if I got it wrong.
question, can you tell if a seal is bad visually ?

01 Nov 2019 16:42 01 Nov 2019 17:00 by Kosmo.
Kosmo
Open Class
Open Class
More
Oil Seal replacement on left side #3
Not a DT3 but here is my video on it.

In short, yes you can just pry it out but be careful not to damage the seal journal or your crank. The only thing I demonstrated poorly is how to press the new seal in. In short, I just tapped mine in carefully and it's holding up.

If you want to watch the whole struggle by all means that'd be cool if ya did, but the seal pulling starts around the 6 minute mark :)

02 Nov 2019 03:10 02 Nov 2019 03:15 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Oil Seal replacement on left side #4

Attachment dt3 seal No5..png not found

You're talking the gear change shaft seal? i gather. If so then carefully pry it out . i just use a screwdriver at a severe angle & being super careful not to graunch the case or the shaft. Best of luck. No5 in the link.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1973/dt3/shifter-b
Attachments:

02 Nov 2019 03:23 02 Nov 2019 03:24 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Oil Seal replacement on left side #5
rethinking that it could be the final drive seal behind the sprocket leaking which is quite common but can also be caused by the sprocket nut being slightly loose so it's creeping out under the spacer. Also don't 'way overfill' the gearbox You'd get away with a reasonable amount too much but i've seen them way over filled & it'll come out wherever it can. One liter from totaly empty & forget about it. To totaly empty you'll need to move the bike over left & right a little from the vertical to get 99% out anyway & do it when oil is hot after a ride so it'll flow easier. Dipstick will tell lies for a while until the oil settles right through clutch & gearbox.

12 Nov 2019 08:42
PigDoc
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Oil Seal replacement on left side #6
My bike runs perfectly. The reason I'm replacing the left side seals is due to a mild oil leak. I'll check the videos. I'd like to have a RT. I almost bought an RT3 but no title so I passed.

Best regards,

Charlie

12 Nov 2019 08:44
PigDoc
Novice
Novice
More
Topic Author
Oil Seal replacement on left side #7
Thanks for the video.

Best regards,

Charlie

12 Nov 2019 08:52
LETSJET
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Oil Seal replacement on left side #8
I just did the left side on my 1972 RT2 yesterday. With an impact gun and the flywheel holding pliers it was easy start to finish.

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart