facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Yamaha piston rings

24 Oct 2019 17:04
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
Topic Author
Yamaha piston rings #1
I was just wondering if the if the piston rings for 78 dt400 are the same for upper and lower if they are interchangeable? My clymer manual does not specify so I just want to make sure. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2019 20:02 24 Oct 2019 20:03 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Yamaha piston rings #2
I Think--& could be corrected--if they look the same then they're interchangeable. If one is shiny & one isn't then the shiny one goes on top. If one has an expander then that's the second groove & 'that' ring is narrower to sit the expander behind. Partzilla if you expand the pic it sort of shows expanders behind both but don't think that's right. I've seen expanders break up but that's after a very long time.
The following user(s) Liked this Post bluntz465, FrankC

24 Oct 2019 21:14
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
Topic Author
Yamaha piston rings #3
Thank you for the detailed explanation.

01 Nov 2019 14:41 02 Nov 2019 08:00 by FrankC.
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
Topic Author
Yamaha piston rings #4
Your advice was spot on RT 325. Just got a new ringset in the mail. Both piston rings were a grayish color.The bottom ring with the ring expander was thinner from inside to outside and thicker top to bottom than the top. Looks like the ring gap was good? The book called out for 12 to 20 thousanths inch. I got 14 and 16 thousanths. Thanks again.

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart