facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
02 Sep 2019
Your admin has not been on the site much as of late as my main computer apparently seized up :( I have had limited access, but will be back soon. Thanks. Mako
  • Page:

TOPIC: Crankcase separation

Crankcase separation 13 Sep 2019 09:04 #1

• bezzer
  • bezzer's Avatar Topic Author
I have a 1981 U.K. DT175MX and am about to overhaul the engine, anyone have any advice on separating the 2 halves of the crankcases?, and any further advice on the best puller tool to buy or which to avoid?.

Thanks in advance bezzer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crankcase separation 13 Sep 2019 13:24 #2

• djr
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
when I did mine a few years ago I was changing the con-rod and fitting new crank bearings and seals , the gearbox was fine so I think I left that in one side of the crankcase, as much as possible .
seem to remember using a 2 leg puller on one side of crank { probably flywheel side ? } , but the other side wasn't such a tight fit and puller not required

Advise & things I can remember -

I think the puller I used was just a universal 2 leg car/bike tool , nothing special . { yambits sell a nice 3 leg puller }
you will probably need to get some long bolts to use with the puller ( unlikely to be supplied with puller }

if your not familiar with these engines then dowload or get a paper workshop manual before attempting ( this should also show what tools needed }

use a good sealant on the case join - i used Threebond , but there are others that people will recommend

if it has never been apart before , its now been together for 38 years ! , so may be stuck on corroded dowels & hard sealant
dont be tempted to chisel it apart { a hot air gun & GENTLE use of a soft hammer may help }

make sure all screws are removed, i think there is one which is a bit hidden { how do i know this ? }

Good luck
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bezzer

Crankcase separation 13 Sep 2019 15:19 #3

• bezzer
  • bezzer's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks djr, some good advice there, like you my intention is to renew the Conrod, bearings and seals etc. I have done many RD/LC twins in the past, but they split horizontally, and I’m yet to attempt a vertical pair!.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart