facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Additional charging?

Additional charging? 11 Aug 2019 10:11 #1

• Dad637
  • Dad637's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
So I have not gotten things quite right. The new battery is being drained quickly. It sits at 3.7v approximately and after a short ride will jump up to 5v ish. Then seems to drain itself back to the 3.7.
Sunday funday, bike is running great but having battery and or charging issues.
I am assuming the rectifier is working due to charging that happens while riding?
I have installed a 6v regulator, that is a new addition. Should I try to use the spare white wire (pick attached)for extra charging, I think? If so Is it the red and green to attach to?Not sure if that would help?
I also am curious, I have three rectifiers, one new, one came original on the bike, and one off eBay.
Pics are attached of new rectifier, all three are testing the same way with small variations but with red to red and black to white I get nothing and 8-10 when I reverse. My volt/ohm meter is testing them all the same but backwards to the service manual. Kinda confusing this simpleton. I have only read about what the extra white is for but have not heard or anyone using.
Thanks gents
Cheers
I promise I am trying to search for these already asked questions but have not mastered the search yet.
Last pic is after10 minute ride around the neighborhood. When I left 3.8v.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Dad637. Reason: Additional info

Additional charging? 11 Aug 2019 11:00 #2

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Sounds like your battery is bad.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Dad637

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Additional charging? 11 Aug 2019 22:38 #3

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
If anything the regulator would limit the charging but probably best to leave it connected. If you disconnected it the charge to the battery will increase with revs which in your case might be a good thing but possibly at the detriment of the bulbs but only if the battery is empty of water or totaly stuffed beyond absorbing charge. If you tapped into the yellow that'll be your highest output i think, but at night time lights rule so battery will only get the drips left over. Could test the output of all your lighting/charging related wires then just write it down. As MarkT said, the battery sounds sus!!. Just thinking--is there a discharge when you put the bike to bed for the night. I'd doubt it but could use an ammeter [amp meter] between earth & the frame [earth unscrewed from the frame of course], get the meter the right way around but should be zero anyway . Personally I'm talking analogue type meter as hate those modern fangled digital things [me old fashioned lol].
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Dad637

Additional charging? 12 Aug 2019 10:50 #4

• Dad637
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Thank you, I replaced the battery and things are looking good other than rapid flashing on the turn signals. Not sure why this is happening but will do some research. I have ordered a new flasher relay, we will see if that makes a difference. All bulbs are correct voltage and wattage.
We will have to see if this battery will hold a charge?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr

Additional charging? 12 Aug 2019 18:21 #5

• Snglsmkr
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
In response to the testing of the rectifier:

It appears all three of yours pass the meter test. The likely reason your test results are opposite those of the manual is that two different meters were used.

In order to obtain a resistance reference a small voltage is applied (by the meter) to the component being tested and the current passing through the component is measured to determine the resistance of the component.

The polarity of the test voltage applied may or may not align with color code of the meter leads. This is dependent on the meter.

The important thing is that the rectifiers measured "open circuit" (high resistance, very low current flow) one direction and "nearly closed circuit" (low resistance, high current flow) in the opposite direction.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: bluntz465

Last Edit: by Snglsmkr. Reason: Misspelled word, clarified one statement

Additional charging? 12 Aug 2019 18:38 #6

• Dad637
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I appreciate that comment. It’s all somewhat floating in front of me but when all things test the opposite of the service manual, it makes for exponential confusion. Bike and battery working fine after first ride with new battery today.
Flashersare flashing quickly but bright and flashing. I was born in Missouri soooo I will wait and see what happens (the show me state).

Additional charging? 13 Aug 2019 00:41 #7

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I realise that you've already stated that the flasher bulbs are "correct". I'm just checking that they are correct as per the manual or correct as per the wattages shown on the side of the flasher relay?

Additional charging? 13 Aug 2019 10:44 #8

• Dad637
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I will double check. Original relay on the bike, not sure if it has any writing on it. I will take a look. Good idea!

Additional charging? 13 Aug 2019 18:52 #9

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
If ya running normal bulbs [not led's or stuff i don't understand] then it should say on the relay something like 6 Volt 8 Watt X 2 + 3. Or variations of that depending on the relay which just means two bulbs of 8 watt plus a 3 watt on the dash [or in the tacho wherever]. Higher wattage bulbs will make it flash faster & lower might end up with it glowing but not flashing. Higher to a point, like 10 watt but if ya went 17 watt on an 8watt relay she'd likely cry 'enough--well one bulb only would flash but two would go mad. Often the units used to be in CP Candle power. For instance [guessing from way back] 27CP was 17 Watt--i think. Ok, not sure where that was going lol.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart