facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

JT1 Rear Shock Mystery

11 Aug 2019 05:29 11 Aug 2019 08:51 by JT1 - It’s for the kids.... Reason: Added photo.
JT1 - It’s for the kids...
More
Topic Author
JT1 Rear Shock Mystery #1
I started out to clean up the rear shocks for my JT1 project this morning. I’m trying to get them ready for installation. What I discovered was my rear shocks appear to be mis-matched (see pic below).

According to my intense analysis (using paper plate engineering), one has 23 coils and and the other 25. I seriously doubt this is manufacturing variation and figure the most likely scenario is they are two different parts. I also noticed the inactive coils are arranged differently on the two shocks (one has inactive coils at the top and the other has them at the bottom). I checked the parts lists and the JT1 and JT2 rear shocks are indeed different part numbers. I have no idea what the physical difference is. I also see that the GT80 shocks will interchange with the JT’s (yet a third part number in the puzzle). A search of the archives didn’t show anything on this subject.

I would sure appreciate it if someone could help educate a newbie on this topic and outline a simple way to identify a JT1 Rear shock from a JT2 or GT80 rear shock.

My hunch is I’ve got one JT1 shock and one JT2 shock.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post Makotosun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Aug 2019 07:25 11 Aug 2019 07:27 by Makotosun.
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
JT1 Rear Shock Mystery #2
Shoot a pm to Mini-enduro-man - he is our point of reference for the little guys!

https://yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/my-own-profile/1006Link

IF it isn't one thing, it's another.

11 Aug 2019 08:47 11 Aug 2019 09:00 by JT1 - It’s for the kids....
JT1 - It’s for the kids...
More
Topic Author
JT1 Rear Shock Mystery #3
Thank you Makotosun.
I will attempt to reach out to Mini-Enduro-Man with my questions. I’m still learning how to navigate thru the forum.
Regards

11 Aug 2019 22:50
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
JT1 Rear Shock Mystery #4
That's interesting, but if the kids are hanging out to ride it then just carry on with them until you find some genuine replacements. Possibly some Chinese copies on Ebay. When my kids were young i shortened the rear & the front until they grew a bit. Somehow spaced the front forks down internally & shortened the shock shafts for the rear & re-threaded but must've taken a coil or 3 of the spring--well front & rear. 45 years ago haha.

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart