facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds

03 Aug 2019 17:39
Nitto05
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #1
Ok so I got it running tried to record but it was laying on a brick to record and I'm guessing to paused it and only got 40 seconds in right before it runs but I got to hear it it wasn't as loud but was awesome supper hard to kick so adding to the list of parts to buy is a decompression valve
But with spark wise it is very weak I'm getting a lose ground only getting 2.8 to 3 now instead of almost 4 or 5 so I gota work in the ground issue also it tried to start back goes it was the points timing and the carburetor needs to be cleaned as well as the tanks and oil pump then it done any suggestions

With a strong will you can achieve anything

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2019 17:54
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #2
Best thing realy is a video so be good when you can do that. Good audio of course if possible. If we're talking DT! 250 then there's realy no need for a decomp valve. My leg gets tired kicking when my DT1 doesn't want to start after a long sleep & fuel has gone off--like 6 months or more. 360 is a different story as mine don't run a decomp so i drain the fuel if it's been left for long as pretty hard work kicking & don't like kicking it for fun knowing i'm getting nowhere lol.

03 Aug 2019 18:15
Nitto05
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #3
Also it does when I try to open the throttle

03 Aug 2019 18:19
Nitto05
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #4
Yep in getting no where if I dont clean that carb well and find the lose ground situation but kicking gets tired the kick starter I have is pretty close to the frame and I always get caught on the foot peg I'm probably gonna sell it and bett a better one not planning on all original but I am planning on taking care of it sorry I couldn't get a vid of it running I will tomorrow but with a small fuel tank since the one that the bike has is lightly rusted and has a little fuel leak

03 Aug 2019 18:20
Nitto05
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #5

Nitto05 wrote: Also it does when I try to open the throttle

I mean dies

The following user(s) Liked this Post Snglsmkr

03 Aug 2019 18:55
Don Dieago
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #6
Just stay at it you will figure it out. Thats how I started when I was 14 we were poor and I so wanted a bike. So I bought a 72 TS125 out of a barn and I was determined to get it running or die trying and I got it going cleaned the carb on back porch. Then a 175 then a KH400 and the rest is history. That was back in 1976. Read read read. Back then we didnt have the internet or google

03 Aug 2019 19:07 03 Aug 2019 19:11 by Don Dieago.
Don Dieago
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #7
Your choke passage goes down the brass tube into the hole in bowl and picks up fuel. Make sure the hole in top of bowl down tho bottom is not stopped up!! your low speed screw passage will connect with low speed jet and the hole on the back air filter side. your high speed jet will also connect to the other hole on air filter side. make sure fluid comes out all these passages. remove the high speed jet and emulsion tube and clean clean clean. when unstopping a low speed jet take a pair of pliers and pull a strand of wire from a large hand brush these are perfect to run thru a jet. if it is really bad stopped take and hold it loosely in a pair of pliers and heat it up with a lighter then blow compressed air through it before it cools. dont squeeze it to hard or it will smash when hot. then make sure your points and condenser are good and fresh. and no oil or grease on points. you can drag a clean piece of paper or a dollar bill through them when closed to clean oil from them. And mpost important make sure you have good compression! Just some tips. ALSO! if you buy one of the cheep kits do not use the slide needle or the jets and emultion tube! Just use the needle n seat and bowl gasket

03 Aug 2019 20:06
Nitto05
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #8
Ok thanks for the info I'm going to try again tomorrow mhh someone overnighted the carb to the spacer on the left side but not the right guess I'm going to have to keep it ther way or I'll have no way to put a gasket there

03 Aug 2019 22:09 03 Aug 2019 22:10 by liferbiker.
liferbiker
Collector
Collector
More
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #9
sounds like a very lean condition as giving throttle w/choke on defeats choke. either idle circuit plugged, needle jet full of crud in metering circuit, float height wrong or needle & seat flow into carb low. spray some carb or brake cleaner at carb mounting area to ck for air leak there as soon as you can get it started again, as you mentioned overtight one side? Get someone to spray it, as dying so quickly won't give you time. you can get gasket paper @ auto parts store, (10 bucks) the only gaskets I bought were reed holder and cylinder base from Yamaha, I made the rest sittin in front of tv. keep at it, it's frustrating at times, but satisfying when you diagnose @ repair it. Old bikes espicially 2 strokes are pretty straightforward, spark must be reliable, intake system free of air leaks, carb mixing air & fuel properly (clean & float adjusted & getting enough fuel into it) to run.

04 Aug 2019 11:41
Nitto05
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
I got it running for 50 seconds but now wont stay on for more than 10 seconds #10
Ok I got reliable spark I have a video of it running with choke on but never off
drive.google.com/file/d/1-y5kUmzsaH1APrK...77/view?usp=drivesdk

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart