facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Yamaha SR japan

01 Aug 2019 18:43
DT400BYam
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
Yamaha SR japan #1
Around t January I was picking a Kawasaki ke175b up. USA import I was having look round and noticed a bike with chunky tyres a small bobber style tank single trials or bobber seat alloy guards. I liked it ,and the more I looked at it and the better it got, it was fresh in from japan, it was a SR basically a XT500 engine all work that had been done was to a high standard battery eliminated small cast alloy indicators small chrome head light I thought it would be perfect for my wife to have a play on it’s light low but feels really solid, the shop had put it on eBay for sale. Said I’d have to bid if I wanted it but four people had gone to the trouble of turning up that day just to check it out the sales man said they seemed very interested in it. As I was.It wasn’t perfect the fork legs and engine cases real Nasty oxidised badly. I did a bit of research and found in Japan they love theses bikes there’s a big market in after market parts. This bike was 1980’s with a Manx Norton type twin pull front hub, I loved that it seemed to have everything all ready done it had aftermarket front and rear alloy fenders / mudguards back of frame cut down and a new loop fitted, fat tyres old style rear light taco removed fitted with billet eliminator alloy handle bars small speedo k&n filter after market silencer domino throttle.a last minute bid and it was mine. Picked it up polished cases new gaskets. Polished forks new seals and dust covers a good engine flush and then another engine flush new oil new air filter and oil filter fitted a iridium plug and a carb manifold put the carb in the ultrasonic. New grips Some cleaning oiling.cleaned the brake drums and refaced the pads and we have some mowed grass land behind my house it has some bumps climb s more like a golf cores than a dirt track, on sunny days I take it on there let her ride until she runs out of petrol. She only passed her test a year ago it’s good experience for her and Yamaha suites her pulls like a train. A great little bike.
Pictures are when I picked it up. So it’s prettier now just wandered if others like it too. Thanks Paul.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post KennyV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2019 18:35
2fishkev
Open Class
Open Class
More
Yamaha SR japan #2
Hey, thanks for sharing! I do like that. Very simple it seems. I’m a big fan of the sr/xt/tt clan. Seems as though they are a dependable versatile platform. I have a 78 xt with no title and an aluminum fuel tank that looks like a potato waiting at the back of my short line of projects. Would like to see the exhaust, if it is as solid as the rest.

04 Aug 2019 03:33
DT400BYam
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
Yamaha SR japan #3
Hi it is a simple bike but when she rides it, it is so 1950s. I really looks great. As I said the workmanship of Japanese mechanic s is Top, notch, everything works perfectly.and finished. When they removed taco cable fitted aCNC plug. The drum brakes and fat tyres sold it to me plus the big Yamaha engine the exhaust uses the chrome standard down pipe with a stainless shorter silencer I think is called Zeus it quite expensive and one of the better ones in Japan.when I brought it home I told her I’d do anything she wanted to it street scrambler bobber but after servicing and cleaning I decided to leave it exactly as it was for a wile at lest, but it really was a bargain, I consider a bargain when it feels like you got a lot more than your money’s worth.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, bluntz465, RT325

04 Aug 2019 04:37
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Yamaha SR japan #4
We sold a few SR500's at work back in about "79 by memory. Damn good bike too. My cousin had one for years. Now i want one lol. Is yours a 400 or 500.

04 Aug 2019 04:59
DT400BYam
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
Yamaha SR japan #5
Sorry didn’t realise I hadn’t said the Japanese model is 400cc There are some good points to it being a 400. It starts hell of a lot better than the xt500’s I’ve owned. In fact it’ starts really easily
That’s a nice difference. And it seems to rev a bit better it doesn’t lack power at all. I have some XR650r’s and it pulls every bit as good and that’s impressive I’d buy one cheers Paul

04 Aug 2019 05:29 04 Aug 2019 05:35 by Don Dieago.
Don Dieago
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Yamaha SR japan #6
Ok forgive me for being so American but I first read the last post and was thinking what the Hell is a Taco cable?
Then It dawned on me tachometer cable. Im slow took me a minute. Thats what does appeal to me about the bobbers is the simplicity. I also like the idea of doing a suzuki LS650 savage or the newer ones are called a s40 man they have a good looking engine I think. Question did the Sr and TT 500 share any parts?
Attachments:

04 Aug 2019 06:51
2fishkev
Open Class
Open Class
More
Yamaha SR japan #7
The SR, XT, and TT are all the same basic motor. This is referring to the late 70s early 80s 500. Other displacements based off that. I think there were differences in the valvetrain between xt/tt and the sr.

05 Aug 2019 18:08
DT400BYam
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
Yamaha SR japan #8
Sorry about the Taco thing . I wouldn’t have thought the TT and SR share anything apart from levers handlebars And crankcases. TT was a out and out Racer at least it was in 1978, Stunt mans choice in C.H.i.P.s. The poor SR was more for riding to work good and reliable but a bit boring. In standard trim. But a pipe K&N filter iridium plug and bit of jetting really brings them to life. Mine seems to have been fitted with with a up rated CDI maybe that’s why it revs quicker and starts a lot easier the the XT500 s I’ve owned and being smaller and lighter. All ways helps. I’m taking my wife out on it tomorrow I’ve built a bonfire on the back field so I’ll have to stay with it so I’ll take the SR and probably the ke250 May as well have a play it’s freshly mowed. Be a shame not to.
Attachments:

05 Aug 2019 18:15
DT400BYam
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
Yamaha SR japan #9
Yeah that’s bang on the SR has a better engine than it really deserves, and I wouldn’t think a SR would get the same abuse as XT/ TT s makes for a good project bike. Thanks for the info

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart