facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello from the UK

Hello from the UK 09 Jul 2019 05:29 #1

• Flip
  • Flip's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Name is Flip, from the U.K. Just got my self a 1973 Yamaha RT-3 in bronze, got it running and now time to strip it and renovate it! Any advice gratefully accepted.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Flip.

Hello from the UK 09 Jul 2019 05:47 #2

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Welcome from a fellow Brit Flip. There are a few of us here and Mauser (Simon) and I both have RT2s.

Post any questions as and when, but here's a couple of tips for you to start with:-

1) If a previous owner hasn't done so already, fit a voltage regulator (6v obviously!). Link to the Yamaha bulletin on the forum is attached below.
2) If the silver/grey sleeving covering your wires is all brown and cracked, then DEET on the forum here supplies some great replacement.

Is the bike complete, or are some parts missing?

All the best.

Alan

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/se...e-voltage-regulators

Hello from the UK 09 Jul 2019 11:45 #3

• Flip
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Fantastic, yup my wiring sheathing is cracked as you say. Can you explain why the regulator is needed? I was wondering if 12v conversion was possible?

Thanks for the helpful reply and the welcome

Hello from the UK 09 Jul 2019 11:50 #4

• Flip
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Forgot to say, the bike is mostly complete, I’m missing all four indicators, need a seat cover and the foam and also some handlebars to replace the bent original bars

Hello from the UK 09 Jul 2019 12:12 #5

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I'm not clever enough to fully explain why the regulator is needed, but basically if there is no battery, or if it is jiggered, there is nothing to limit the voltage coming from the charging circuit and you'll find most of your bulbs blowing!

Yes, some have done 12v conversions. If you use the "search" function on the toolbar at the top of the screen and put in the relevant words, you should find more coherent explanations for the need for a regulator and also how others converted to 12v.

For all things seat related, check out KDI Reproductions on the menu on the right (just scroll down a little and you'll see the link).

I got my original bars via ebay. You can get some generic ones from Yambits in the UK, although the gap between the two bars is shorter than original and fitting the bar mounted indicators is tight, but quite possible. You never know, someone on the forum reading this might have a spare set.

Original indicators (and fitting washers/rubbers) are quite scarce. You can buy washer/rubber kits for the XS650 that are the same, but you have to drill a hole in one of the parts for the locating lug on the indicator. Many Yamahas of that era used the same or very similar indicators, so make your search description very wide.

CMSNL and Partzilla are great for showing what other models used the same parts. Also look at lots of photos of what you need, as often sellers don't know what they are advertising and so will say it is for a different model (I include the UK importers in this category - be very careful with them!).

I think that the service, owners' and parts manuals are all in the Tech Library on this forum. However, I have hard copies of all 3 if you get stuck.

Regards.

Alan
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Flip

Re:Hello from the UK 09 Jul 2019 12:21 #6

• Flip
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
You’re very helpful thanks. I’ll be sure to check out all the advice you’ve offered. Have a good evening and thanks again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Hello from the UK 11 Jul 2019 01:36 #7

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Flip

Some more "helpful" hints have just come to mind!

1) The white wire coming out of the main loom under the tank is effectively a spare. It is used to boost charging if the red/green wire isn't providing enough. Photo attached.
2) Do not, whatever you do, plug an earth wire into the black wire roughly between the carb and gearbox sprocket. If you do, you won't get a spark. Apparently the wire is used for testing the points, timing or such like. Again, photo attached.
3) If your bike is missing a flasher unit as well as the indicators, the original 3 wire one sits under the battery box. Photo attached.

Regards.

Alan

Attachments:

Hello from the UK 11 Jul 2019 03:46 #8

• Mauser
  • Open Class
  • Open Class

Flip wrote: Forgot to say, the bike is mostly complete, I’m missing all four indicators, need a seat cover and the foam and also some handlebars to replace the bent original bars

I like my RT2 original, however the seat was toasted I repaired the seat pan and used PK Classics to replace the foam and cover....wasn't cheap £180 but end of the day I could have messed up the recovering process as never done it before so £90 seemed cheap for the labour.
www.pandkclassicbikes.co.uk/default.html
Mine runs fantastic on the 6 volt set-up, starts first kick normally so I'm sticking with the original wiring etc. Mine blew the headlight as the tail light bulb wasn't working, my understanding is the system works fine as long as all bulbs are drawing power, if 1 bulb goes then the excess voltage causes the others to blow....I fitted a single wire regulator and no more bulbs going south.
Indicators are expensive unless you don't mind the reproduction ones and you can pick up a flasher unit on fleabay or get a modern electronic flasher. Great bikes to work on and well made, fit yourself a Motobatt sealed battery so the fumes won't eat your rear fender lol....any more help just ask I'm no expert but my advice is always free.

RT2 ~ XR650R ~ DT175MX ~ ZX12R ~ XJR1300 ~ DT125LC ~ XR250R ~ XL125R ~ RD350LC ~ MT50 ~ GPZ1100

Re:Hello from the UK 11 Jul 2019 11:24 #9

• Flip
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro

Gr8uncleal wrote: Flip

Some more "helpful" hints have just come to mind!

1) The white wire coming out of the main loom under the tank is effectively a spare. It is used to boost charging if the red/green wire isn't providing enough. Photo attached.
2) Do not, whatever you do, plug an earth wire into the black wire roughly between the carb and gearbox sprocket. If you do, you won't get a spark. Apparently the wire is used for testing the points, timing or such like. Again, photo attached.
3) If your bike is missing a flasher unit as well as the indicators, the original 3 wire one sits under the battery box. Photo attached.

Regards.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I’ve got to get stuck in this weekend so I’ll check this out :)

Re:Hello from the UK 11 Jul 2019 11:26 #10

• Flip
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro

Mauser wrote:

Flip wrote: Forgot to say, the bike is mostly complete, I’m missing all four indicators, need a seat cover and the foam and also some handlebars to replace the bent original bars

I like my RT2 original, however the seat was toasted I repaired the seat pan and used PK Classics to replace the foam and cover....wasn't cheap £180 but end of the day I could have messed up the recovering process as never done it before so £90 seemed cheap for the labour.
www.pandkclassicbikes.co.uk/default.html
Mine runs fantastic on the 6 volt set-up, starts first kick normally so I'm sticking with the original wiring etc. Mine blew the headlight as the tail light bulb wasn't working, my understanding is the system works fine as long as all bulbs are drawing power, if 1 bulb goes then the excess voltage causes the others to blow....I fitted a single wire regulator and no more bulbs going south.
Indicators are expensive unless you don't mind the reproduction ones and you can pick up a flasher unit on fleabay or get a modern electronic flasher. Great bikes to work on and well made, fit yourself a Motobatt sealed battery so the fumes won't eat your rear fender lol....any more help just ask I'm no expert but my advice is always free.

Thank you! Could you point me in the right direction for a single wire regulator please?

• Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart