facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
02 Sep 2019
Your admin has not been on the site much as of late as my main computer apparently seized up :( I have had limited access, but will be back soon. Thanks. Mako

TOPIC: Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 12 Jun 2019 20:43 #1

• YZArin
  • YZArin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
I know this site is dedicated to vintage motorcycles/endures but I have two 2017 Yamaha YZ450's that both make clicking noises. On my spare YZ450, it makes a louder clicking/thumping noise than my main bike. I don't know if that's an issue but I hope you guys would say if it normal or not?? I just had the bikes checked many months ago and all test came out great so I don't know how the clicking noise comes on every time they fire up or run. But again, I don't know if its an issue for these bikes or its just normal? the last thing I need is to pay $2500 to have the motors rebuilt for no reason.

One more thing, one of my neighbors has been fixing bikes for 40 years and told me its normal. I would still want a second opinion if you guys happen to know.

I hope its nothing problematic:Ugh

YZArin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 12 Jun 2019 21:16 #2

• Midlife Motor
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I am no expert at that model, but if they are both making the noise AND an experienced mechanic tells you they are fine AND they are 2017 models it’s probably nothing. I do have a 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere and am a member of that forum. It was very common for members to start threads and describe noises they were concerned about. The common reply was “Ride more, worry less.” Your concern for your bikes is understandable, but do t let little things get in the way of enjoying the ride. Your engines are not gonna blow up if you do routine maintenance.

It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 12 Jun 2019 21:22 #3

• YZArin
  • Novice
  • Novice
Midlife Motor, I seem to start them up easy and run them with no problems but all I wanted was other peoples opinions if its an issue or not. But its good to hear from you saying that I shouldn't worry about anything:OnFire

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 12 Jun 2019 21:56 #4

• Midlife Motor
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I understand what you’re after and it’s a common post in both motorcycle and quad forums. Funny noise post. If this helps, I was a motor cop for six years and my bike was a Kawi Concours. I never abused the bike by any means, but I definitely rode it like I stole it. It made a LOT of funny noises. Because it wasn’t my bike, I didn’t worry about it. That bike never had any issues. My point is it’s normal and common to be concerned, but don’t let concern keep you from enjoying the bikes.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: YZArin

It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 12 Jun 2019 22:31 #5

• YZArin
  • Novice
  • Novice
Midlife Motor, I always take care of my toys. My pop taught me to do the simple maintenance and never had any problems! He's no longer around anymore. I hope my bikes will last me a very long time! And trust me, I want to bring both my YZ's to Dave's Gorman events and I want the bikes to be ready every year for any desert trip I take them. That's one of the reasons why I wanted to make a post to see if you guys say clicking noises are normal or not.

YZArin
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Midlife Motor

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 12 Jun 2019 23:03 #6

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector

YZArin wrote: My pop taught me to do the simple maintenance and never had any problems!
Sounds like my dad. He was a fighter pilot from 1942-1966, and he just almost beat the details into us boys. Paid off well for my two brothers who flew Hueys in Vietnam.
He's no longer around anymore.
My dad either.

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 12 Jun 2019 23:55 #7

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Re--not vintage, it'll be vintage soon enough lol. Then what'll we call our current old bikes. Is the rattle in the top end, just thinking about the easy start valve lifter. Not sure if they do anything, like break a spring etc. Cam chain rattle from wear or adjuster not holding. Audio or video with audio would be great but you don't always get a good listen to the sound compared to standing by it.

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 13 Jun 2019 12:49 #8

• Rick C.
  • Collector
  • Collector
My dad taught me if a funny noise happens in a motor,
Start it on up, take a long screwdriver or a piece of wood, set it on the motor, put your hand on the other end and put your ear on your hand, Move the screwdriver or wood around the motor and " Listen to the motor " for where there may be a problem, grinding or funny noise.
Using this method will tell you if you are gonna have a an issue and or where the issue is.
You will be able to almost pin point where the noise is coming from.

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 13 Jun 2019 21:33 #9

• YZArin
  • Novice
  • Novice
RT325, I know you would request a video/audio of the bike running but I don't know how to post youtube videos so I could forward it to you with the strange clicking noise. I know it doesn't do much standing by it but all I can say it clicks louder than the other bike. But the last thing I need is to take it in again and have it checked out.

Clicking noise in a 2017 yamaha yz450f 13 Jun 2019 21:39 #10

• YZArin
  • Novice
  • Novice
Rick.C, I actually tried your method and once I fired up my spare bike, I started from the bottom moving up the screw driver and there weren't anything grinding from the bottom end. But as soon as I got to the top, I felt a lot of vibration from the top end. The screw driver was right against the piston/cam chain. All I could find was a lot of rattle from the top end, not bottom. I hope that's no indication something is about to fail pretty soon? Maybe its normal on most modern dirt bikes/ Yamaha's made from 2017 to today?

Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart