facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride

11 Feb 2020 08:23 11 Feb 2020 10:25 by KennyV.
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride #1
A friend is in the process of organizing a dual sport event here in Floyd County Va. and I'm helping with planning the route so I thought I would post something in case anyone here is interested. I will be participating riding one of my Enduros. This is a work in progress with lots of details being worked out. A tentative date is set for the first weekend in April and bikes will need to be licensed and registered. There will be a registration form and fee with all proceeds going to the Floyd County Humane Society. The route will be 90% dirt / gravel roads simular to forest service roads. There will be ocasionally short stretches of pavement that are still very rural back roads with very, very little vehicle traffic. There won't be any technical / difficult single track but it will still be an interesting and fun ride through the Blue Ridge Mountains. The route will be up to 150mi with shorter options and there will be fuel stops. Part of the route will be on dirt / gravel roads that parallel the Blue Ridge Parkway. I will post more information as details are worked out. Here's a link that tells a little about Floyd County and our very cool little town of Floyd. visitfloydva.com/

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
The following user(s) Liked this Post Enduronut, MarkT, t-bone, MACE6772, Snglsmkr, Bwestern

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Feb 2020 20:14
Bwestern
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride #2
Looking forward to the details, keep us posted!

15 Feb 2020 04:56
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride #3
Just an FYI, as of yesterday after some thoughts and discussions we decided that putting this event together with in the given time frame is too ambitious so we have moved the date to the first weekend in May. We are going to ride the entire route today and start creating the GPS track and then we'll be making roll chart as an option. I'll keep posting updates.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, MACE6772, Snglsmkr

15 Feb 2020 10:16 15 Feb 2020 10:16 by Bwestern.
Bwestern
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride #4
Is this event just for older bikes, or are all welcome? I know a few people who may be potentially be interested: (an 05' ttr250, 16' cb500x, 18' klr650, and ??' Gs1200)

15 Feb 2020 11:51
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride #5
All are welcome! It's being organized by modern dual sport riders.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
The following user(s) Liked this Post Badger52, Snglsmkr

23 Feb 2020 15:14
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride #6
A few updates,
The 2020 "Blue Ridge Gravel Rooster" will be on the first weekend in May, May 2 and 3. It will be a two day event for anyone that wants to ride a second day.This is a fund raising event and all proceeds will go to the Floyd County Humane Society and there will be a registration and a fee that can be done online. I'll post a link when that is set up. As of now, last I heard, fee will $30 and this will cover breakfast and a dinner on Saturday. Depending on how many people, posible breakfast on Sunday.
Saturday will be the organized ride with a GPS track or roll chart. I don't have the specific breakfast, starting and dinner times yet. As I said before, this will be a 150 mi loop with shorter options. In my first post i said it would be 90% dirt / gravel, 70 - 80% is more realistic. It is large, small and old :) dual sport friendly.
Sunday will be a free ride day. People who want to head off and explore the area on their own are certainly welcome, myself and other locals will be happy to lead rides, it's all good!
The ride will Start and finish here onthewaterinfloyd.com/ . It looks like you will be able to camp here also if you would like. The facilities are limited.

On The Water,

For anyone interested in other lodging or camping options please visit visitfloydva.com/ .
If anyone has any questions about lodging or camping options, or any concerns please send me a PM and I'll reply with my contact info (I can't create / send a PM but I can receive and respond)

A few pictures from some of route that I rode today,

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post 2fishkev, JayB

17 Mar 2020 17:30
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride #7
So it's been a real eye opener helping to plan an event like this and it looks like all of the hurdles have been cleared. Here's a link to the the Facebook post with regestration. I'm hoping to see, meet and ride with some folks from here.
m.facebook.com/events/889432858171813

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar

20 Mar 2020 18:19 20 Mar 2020 18:24 by KennyV.
KennyV
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Southwest Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Ride #8
With Covid-19 there's a lot of uncertainty with this event as with everything, we are being optimistic and and hoping for the best. As of now some of us locals are still planning to do this ride and practice proper social distancing. Any updates or changes will be posted on Facebook so please use the Facebook link in the previous post. For those like me who don't do Facebook I will be happy to answer any questions.

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart