facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
18 Feb 2019
Sorry - I had to take the site offline for about 15 minutes tonight. Emergency repair. Please review the Site Upgrade Post for more information which will affect you. It's all good.
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT 100 Resto-mod

DT 100 Resto-mod 09 Feb 2019 17:04 #11

• Kosmo
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Putting in some good work man! I'm catching up at work after the flu fiasco, hoping to get back into the shop tomorrow. My gas tank is pretty messed up as well...was thinking of taking it to a local paintless dent repair place and getting a quote...

I'm not counting how much this is costing me. Don't need that negative energy LOL. Although I did get decent deals on the bikes so I should still be under a grand..depends on how much the powdercoating ends up being.

Looking forward to more updates! Keep it up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT 100 Resto-mod 11 Feb 2019 17:45 #12

• vantangler
  • vantangler's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks Man!!! I'm not powder coating, (The old frame cleaned up pretty well actually) and regarding the tank I just want to pop out the dent to a reasonable hieght so I can put some Bondo on it. Bodywork should not be a cost factor for me.

I got a bit more done on the DT this weekend. I didn't take too much pictures but everything is coming together fine.

Started the day off by making the frame a true rolling chassis:
To reiterate what I said about buying new brake shoes immediately, this is what I meant. I took apart the back drum annnnnnnddddd:

OMG!!! this would have contributed to an abrupt end to a potentially fun trail ride. Luckily I bough new shoes.

Here it is with the rear wheel back in place:

Following that I went to work on the engine...

The rings on the piston from the original DT were in fine shape. The rings from the RT engine...not so much. I swapped RT the rings over to the DT, honed out the DT cylinder. I also swapped the flywheel and stator from the DT engine to the RT engine.

I made a new base gasket with karrok .4mm paper from Canadian Tire ($8.00), it worked out very well, and I still have a template, and a bunch of gasket paper for future projects.

After buttoning up the engine on the bench, I bolted it to the bike. After fiddling with the wires for a few minutes I managed to get spark.

I hooked up the compression tester and got it up to 90 PSI, I then realized that I was not totally seated in the spark plug hole, but then my wife began calling me to help her with the baby... I should be well over 100 without gobs of oil in the cylinder.

I cleaned up the carb too, It was pretty yucky, but all of the orfices should now be clear after the Pine Sol soak and copious amoundts of brake cleaner.

Her is the bike as it sits now:

(Thumb) :p

Attachments:

Last Edit: by vantangler.

DT 100 Resto-mod 13 Feb 2019 06:58 #13

• Kosmo
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Good stuff man! Are you going to swap the RT shocks over?

DT 100 Resto-mod 13 Feb 2019 10:52 #14

• Blackhat250
  • Collector
  • Collector
Great build threat vandangle" ,, cant wait to see her finished, B)

If you aint mixin gas " you aint haulin Ass
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart