NOTICE: If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!
Putting in some good work man! I'm catching up at work after the flu fiasco, hoping to get back into the shop tomorrow. My gas tank is pretty messed up as well...was thinking of taking it to a local paintless dent repair place and getting a quote...
I'm not counting how much this is costing me. Don't need that negative energy LOL. Although I did get decent deals on the bikes so I should still be under a grand..depends on how much the powdercoating ends up being.
Thanks Man!!! I'm not powder coating, (The old frame cleaned up pretty well actually) and regarding the tank I just want to pop out the dent to a reasonable hieght so I can put some Bondo on it. Bodywork should not be a cost factor for me.
I got a bit more done on the DT this weekend. I didn't take too much pictures but everything is coming together fine.
Started the day off by making the frame a true rolling chassis:
To reiterate what I said about buying new brake shoes immediately, this is what I meant. I took apart the back drum annnnnnnddddd:
OMG!!! this would have contributed to an abrupt end to a potentially fun trail ride. Luckily I bough new shoes.
Here it is with the rear wheel back in place:
Following that I went to work on the engine...
The rings on the piston from the original DT were in fine shape. The rings from the RT engine...not so much. I swapped RT the rings over to the DT, honed out the DT cylinder. I also swapped the flywheel and stator from the DT engine to the RT engine.
I made a new base gasket with karrok .4mm paper from Canadian Tire ($8.00), it worked out very well, and I still have a template, and a bunch of gasket paper for future projects.
After buttoning up the engine on the bench, I bolted it to the bike. After fiddling with the wires for a few minutes I managed to get spark.
I hooked up the compression tester and got it up to 90 PSI, I then realized that I was not totally seated in the spark plug hole, but then my wife began calling me to help her with the baby... I should be well over 100 without gobs of oil in the cylinder.
I cleaned up the carb too, It was pretty yucky, but all of the orfices should now be clear after the Pine Sol soak and copious amoundts of brake cleaner.
Managed to get around to the gas tank this weekend. I basically filled it with water, ground it, welded some bolts on it, pulled them out with a bridge. following that I ground the tank some more, found a pin hole, welded the pinhole into a nice fine biger hole, then patched it with a scrap piece and bondo'd the patch. Finished off with primer. here are the Pics:
Start Pulling, used a combination of 3/4 dowels and rolled up cardboard.
All in all it took this as a learning experience. Prep is everything, I was doing this between baby naps and helping my wife with the baby, so I rushed things. It will still look good one I sand some more and shoot the paint and clear.
I'm gonna POR/KREEM the tank next weekend before painting.