facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
18 Feb 2019
Sorry - I had to take the site offline for about 15 minutes tonight. Emergency repair. Please review the Site Upgrade Post for more information which will affect you. It's all good.
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT 100 Resto-mod

DT 100 Resto-mod 02 Feb 2019 08:38 #1

• vantangler
  • vantangler's Avatar Topic Author
Seeing how much fun my wife had noticed that I was having on my DT 250 ( thread here ), she intimated that she wished she could come out with me for "rips" once and a while. Interpreting her passing thought as an unyielding demand for me to immediately get her a bike, I acquiesced and bought her a 95/96? RT 100 for a few hundred bucks. Since the RT 100 is essentially a DT/MX with different plastics and no lighting coil, the person I bought the bike from tossed in a donor DT 100 for free (I don't know the year).

I was going to transfer the better components/electrical to the RT and or 250, but I decided that it would be for the best to transfer the RT parts to the DT 100. I don't intend for this to be stock, but It will be a lot nicer than the RT platform in terms of class.

Here are some pics:

They should swap over fine, I already got the flywheel off and the 100's engine apart. Its clapped, but the RT engine should swap over fine.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: 1971DT250, Blackhat250, Dfeustel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by vantangler.

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 05:08 #2

• Kosmo
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
oof, VERY excited for this! :D

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 16:03 #3

• vantangler
The RT 100

Ok a bit of work happened over the weekend. Here is the RT that I will be ganking parts from. PO painted the frame pink.. don't care because I'm not using the frame, but there is so much overspray that many of the parts have taken on a pinkish hue, the paint cleans up ok, so I guess this is kind of a hidden blessing as it forces me to meticulously clean parts as I transfer them over. I bought the whole package for $500.00 CAD last fall which is not a smoking deal, but not a terrible one for rural eastern Ontario. My wife concurs with my assessment that vintage is cooler than this:

Attachments:

Last Edit: by vantangler. Reason: added attachments

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 16:15 #4

• vantangler
Engine Removal DT

Here is the engine out of the DT. I alluded that I was no good, the crank bearing was rusted solid. The piston and head looked ok, and the jug could use a milling. The clutch basket looked pretty good as well, I will keep some of these parts for spares.

Pretty Rusty in there The carb was stuck open so in think water just seeped down into the crank case.

Bleh.

Next I move onto the Gas Tank
Attachments:

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 16:25 #5

• vantangler
Gas tank

This will be a production. As you can see I tried to pull the dent with some studs, I started with hot glue, worked up to epoxy, and I think next weekend I will break out the welder. In the mean time I filled it with vinegar and let it sit for two days. I took some sheetrock screws and shook them around for 15ish minutes, AMAZING. I forgot to take Pics of before and after, but vinegar is the bees knees, I was surprised how well it worked. here are some fruitless attempts at dent removal:

Ughh.

Gah!!

Dear God!!

Didn't work :(
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 17:07 #6

• 1971DT250
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
It's nice that you have a wife interested in this! Does she have a sister?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: vantangler

The hours spent riding my Enduros is not deducted from my life span.

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 18:45 #7

• vantangler
Here is the DT engine out of its old home and getting prepped for it's swankier digs. As I want to be careful with this crank, I ordered a Yamaha flywheel puller and exercised some restraint. The engine was pretty grody from years of neglect/farm hi-jinks, put it cleaned up reasonably well.

after a light cleaning (engine on Left)
Attachments:

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 18:49 #8

• vantangler
Also here is a list on some of the items I bought to get this baby up to speed. As a lesson to the kids out there, (for resto-mods not full-up restorations) make a reasonable budget and try and stick to it. Account for everything you spend on the bike, to include all cleaning products, disposable items etc.. AND CHANGE YOUR BRAKES IMMEDIATLEY!! those can delaminate without notice and your gentle trail cruise will come to an abrupt and untimely end. Here are some price in Canadian Dollars (each CAD is worth about 3/4 of a USD)

My goal is to have a reasonable good looking, and very reliable bike for under a 'g note". Lets see how I am doing so far:

Rear Tire $34.99
Inner Tube $10.03
Steel Handlebar $26.95
Grips $11.95
Brake Shoes -$19.80
Brake Shoes rear $19.80
Clutch Lever $18.36
Brake Lever $17.47
Fork Seals $10.13
Flywheel Puller $17.47
Yamaha Stickers $6.59
Front Sprocket 14T $9.87
Clamp-On Mirror $17.60
More Stickers: $13.96
Spray Paint, Brake Cleaner, Shop Cloths, hot glue $40.00
Diesel for garage heater $30.00
ATF for Fork oil $7.00
Gasket Paper $8.00
Vinegar for Gas tank: $4.00
Reproduction Front Fender - 40.00 (offer still out on Ebay)
OEM Throttle cable and brake cable: 80.00 (ish)
Add 13% for tax and.......

$458.74
+$500.00 original purchase.

Amazing how the price climbs. This is near the upper limit though, only thing I foresee buying is some vinyl for seat recovery (unless I have some kicking around), a cheap rear sprocket (I think 45T) and an offshore handlebar controls. So think around $100.00 will get me close. So I'll be a little bit over my goal but within 5%.

For the 'mericans here, that should equal just under 800.00 for a snazzy little 100cc whip.

I think that is reasonable monetarily. The biggest de-valuer is the time spent, but I happen to enjoy doing this, so not a waste of time at all.

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 18:59 #9

• vantangler
Weekend of work complete. Managed to get the front wheel on and I changed the fork seals and cleaned up the front forks. Next weekend this will certainly be a roller, and hopefully I'll have the engine back in. I'm gonna clean up the RT Shocks, (they are factory red so that is a boon), demonstrate my welding prowess (or lack thereof) on the gas tank, and subsequently test my bondo skills on the gas tank and rear fender. It all sound fun! We will see how it all goes I guess.
A good weekends worth of work:

RT 100 Stripped Root Down (cause that's how I kick it;))

I am not too crazy on these handle bars, they sit too low for my liking, but my KDX has a mangled pair of the same profile bars that need replacing so it was a low risk purchase.

The original chrome bars are noticeably bent, any tricks for bending them back? I like the chrome and the height of the OEMs.
Attachments:

DT 100 Resto-mod 05 Feb 2019 19:36 #10

• vantangler
@1971DT250:

Yes I certainly know how to pick them! She also took an interest in snowmobiling after going through pretty much the exact same set of circumstances over the course of a winter, she did not want to be left out of all of the winter time fun! Naturally I relinquished to her request by getting her an old Polaris Indy. Got a build thread for that too!
www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forums/26-pol...nging-back-dead.html

Well that is enough Enduro speak for one evening. Regrettably I am enrolled in university correspondence courses, and I must now post on some forums that are considerably less interesting than this one.

Last Edit: by vantangler.
  • Page:
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart