facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 07 May 2018 05:40 #11

• B.C.
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I was wondering if the longer shocks cause the chain to cut into the swing arm?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by B.C..

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 07 May 2018 05:43 #12

• THEarmpit
  • THEarmpit's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice

B.C. wrote: I was wondering if the longer shocks cause the chain to cut into the swing arm?

Yes it does, I don't have one yet but plan to add a plastic chain slider to protect it from wear

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 07 May 2018 20:03 #13

• THEarmpit
  • Novice
  • Novice
Just snagged a great deal on a gas tank that looks to have good seals and most importantly has very little damage so minimal body filler should be needed to get a nice finish, hoping that will arrive around the same time as the seat and I can just make a day out of getting a bit of the first stage of the cosmetic work knocked out.

Last Edit: by THEarmpit.

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 09 May 2018 17:41 #14

• THEarmpit
  • Novice
  • Novice
I stumbled on this little exhaust baffle, decided to give it a shot.
I have guests (for the rest of the week, gah!) so it's too late for me to crank up to test it, it seems less restrictive than the factory baffle, definitely looks a lot cooler!

The replacement tank should come in tomorrow and the seat is now scheduled to come Monday, so in the meantime I'm going to give the carb another cleaning and make sure the float height is kind of where it should be so I can just slap on the new parts and go for a ride early next week!
Attachments:

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 09 May 2018 19:14 #15

• Pillsbury
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Kool, another rescue in progress!!

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Dirt bike
1968 Honda CL90
1971 Honda Sl 125
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 09 May 2018 21:20 #16

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
I've used one of those baffles in something, can't think what now but won't quieten it much, just take the sting off it. Does yours still have the original spark arrestor piece deep down in the back?, non removable [well we have ways lol]. I bought a DT2 [same] pipe a while back for my 'rat bike' RT2 & was complete & unmolested & i was pleasantly surprised how muffled it was!!. Those piped are buggers for falling to bits inside over the years with vibration etc. At work yamaha send instructions for some models where the internal baffles or divider thingies had let go & we were told to drill a hole in both side & insert a small steel rod right through & weld it in to stop the ringding resonating sound. Think it worked when we had to do it. Was just trail bikes not nice chrome road bike pipes although could have done the same if necessary except for burning the chrome by welding. Sounds pretty rough i know lol.

Last Edit: by RT325.

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 09 May 2018 21:33 #17

• THEarmpit
  • Novice
  • Novice

RT325 wrote: Does yours still have the original spark arrestor piece deep down in the back?

I sure hope it has the spark arrestor in it still!!! I plan to get this to a trail in the Francis Marion National Forest here soon and they require it.. I'll pretend I didn't hear that it can rattle apart over time!

Yea I'm hoping that it just takes a little bit of the sound away, I know my neighbors are starting to get tired of hearing this thing idle in my garage while I'm trying to dial in the carb

The long-term plan is to get an expansion chamber pipe from a KTM 360 EXC and get a buddy to weld it up to the manifold on the factory pipe (or a spare scrap one I find from someone on the forum), but that's months away even optimistically; we'll see how the project unfolds, I may decide to keep the factory pipe, maybe get it sent off for an internal expansion chamber mod I've seen others have done.

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 09 May 2018 22:21 #18

• darinm
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
I use the same little silencer on an otherwise stock DT2 and it really works better than I expected, sounds about the same as my stock CT2.

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 09 May 2018 23:46 #19

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
yes you can see the spark arrestor///silencer easy enough if its still there, just look in the end and quite visible at the end of the tail piece. just don't look if ya realy don't want to know lol. it's a bit like looking into the front of a jet engine i recon and will be pretty obvious if its been knocked out.

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 10 May 2018 12:38 #20

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

THEarmpit wrote: I stumbled on this little exhaust baffle, decided to give it a shot.
I have guests (for the rest of the week, gah!) so it's too late for me to crank up to test it, it seems less restrictive than the factory baffle, definitely looks a lot cooler!

The replacement tank should come in tomorrow and the seat is now scheduled to come Monday, so in the meantime I'm going to give the carb another cleaning and make sure the float height is kind of where it should be so I can just slap on the new parts and go for a ride early next week!

Hey, where did you get that muffler insert. May work on some of my projects.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart