facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 15:34 #1

• THEarmpit
  • THEarmpit's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
Back in 2010 in my Junior year of college I stumbled on a 1972 RT2 360 on craigslist in pretty rough shape and decided to grab it as a project to keep myself busy as my course load eased up. At the time I had only basic knowledge of motors and nearly everything I have learned has been through this bike.
I was able to get running back then but when I tried to register it the SCDMV wouldn't allow it. I tried and tried over the years but always was turned away. I ended up just ripping around some trails, getting in some trouble with the department of natural resources, and even made it to a motocross track where it definitely was out of place.

It made it through 2 moves with me and I recently was looking at it in my garage and decided it was just time to sell it, after 3 years of outdoor storage under my parent's deck while I was living in an apartment and 3 years in a garage, it wasn't looking too hot and it never ran after coming back out from under the deck due to some rain buildup behind the stator cover.

Within a few hours I had someone that called me and asked why I was selling; "Because I can't get it registered and don't want to put any time or money in it without being able to ride it on the street". He convinced me to give it one last shot and try a loophole with the Vermont registration and see if that would work for me. Well, it did! And now I'm fixing it up to be the kind of bike I always wanted it to be, which to be honest I don't know what that is yet :) I have a feeling it will end up being something that can either be defined as street tracker or scrambler when all is said and done.

I had a build thread here yamahaenduro.com/showthread.php?t=17927 if you'd like to view more detail on the prior work I did on the bike
For this thread I'll stick to what I've done since getting it registered a few weeks ago.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by THEarmpit. Reason: moving photos to the second post for ease of readability on future pages

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 15:41 #2

• THEarmpit
  • Novice
  • Novice
When the plate arrived I IMMEDIATELY dragged it out of the garage, didn't care that it was raining, and stuck the plate on it with some magnets to get some photos. Then I got to work on getting it running again and then get it street legal.

...Fast forward a couple days...

She's rough. But she runs good!
I'm very happy how easy it was to get it back running this time - adjusted the points and spark came right away, then cleaned the carb which was already clean because I closed the petcock and ran it out of gas before storing it so many years ago.

I forgot to close the decompression lever back after starting so the revs were a little slow to come down.

I ordered some DOT tires and planned to run through everything for safety, with the goal of having it out for a cars and coffee meetup the following weekend here in Charleston SC

I tidied up my garage so I have a better space to work and designed a wiring harness today that should work for what I'm after. It's late so I won't be wrapping it and putting it on the bike tonight, I plan on that first thing after work. My cat "Sushi" is acting as a placeholder for the rear brake switch

This is when I encountered one roadblock - the clutch won't engage (disengage?). When I pulled the lever it was EXTREMELY stiff, like, won't move at all except probably just the cable stretching. I took the cover off the sprocket side and the actuator mechanism moves freely but I noticed the rod it pushes is bent a little where it protrudes from the case. I ordered a new one of those, but I think it's a combination of that and clutch plates that have become stuck to each other from sitting. I've read that sometimes kicking it into gear will jostle the plates and free them up, I planned to try that first.

A few days later I wrapped and installed the wiring harness and made an aluminum switch plate. I now have a running light switch, front brake switch rear brake switch, kill switch, an accessory switch, and a trail tech dash.

Also added a fuel filter and air filter.

And last but definitely not least, I fixed the stuck clutch using the method above that I probably shouldn't have done..... But hey, it worked... I started the bike up, held light pressure on the stiff clutch lever, held the rear brake down and kicked it into 1st gear. It lurched forward and died but the clutch lever immediately softened up and the clutch now engages (disengages?) properly

Video of the wiring harness and switches in action:

I had an issue where when I connected the battery and the regulator/rectifier to frame ground I would lose spark... I thought I had the R/R wired incorrectly but ended up resolving this by drilling a fresh hole and sanding the paint away for a clean ground connection rather than trying to use an existing rusty bolt connection.

Mirror and DOT tires and then I'll be ready for cars and coffee if my test ride goes well!
Attachments:

Last Edit: by THEarmpit.

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 15:45 #3

• THEarmpit
  • Novice
  • Novice
The new tires came in, I winged it with the order because it's hard finding modern tires in 18 and 19 matching sets for the style I wanted.
The front is a little smaller than I would like but I plan to remove the fender to replace with one mounted higher by the fork triple in the future.

Also got a new universal throttle tube and cable, new clutch cable, new brake cable, small mirror, and the replacement clutch push rod.

Also took it out for the first test ride today! Things went well but it needs some work. I was smiling from ear to ear the whole time

I have an idea for a headlight.... we'll see how it turns out, hopefully just a weekend project.
Front brake shoe, rubber tank mounts, and a friend bought me some Castor 927 because he heard I was using lawnmower 2-stroke oil....

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC, Taps

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 15:49 #4

• THEarmpit
  • Novice
  • Novice
My first trip goal after getting the tag and registration was to make it to a local "Cars & Coffee" event. Normally this is about a 30 minute interstate trip from my house, but I wanted to avoid the interstate since this was the first real shakedown ride. Overall it went well, but I have a fuel starvation issue where after maintaining a cruising speed of 50 or so for about 5 minutes I'll just lose power. It happened three times today and each time I was able to just pull off, do nothing for about a minute then start back up and get another 5-10 minutes of riding out of it. Stop and go it doesn't seem to have any issues with.

I'm also having issues with it popping out of gears and into either the next gear or a false neutral while I am at cruising speed, never seems to happen under harder accelleration... Not really sure what this could be, I saw something about a similar issue where the problem ended up being worn out "gear selector springs", anyone have ideas on how I can try to diagnose this without pulling the case apart?

I seem to have developed an oil leak... Noticed it ever since I changed out the clutch push rod with the one I got on ebay, it had more pitting than evident in the listing photos but I figured it was better than the one I already had... I think I'll be switching back to mine after attempting to straighten the bent portion back out since it has no pitting in it.

Since overall everything seems to be going pretty smoothly, I can now start to lean more toward work on the cosmetic side of things. I have a seat on order that should come in sometime this week and I'll be cleaning the motor up and starting work on prepping the tank for some bodywork to get that dent less noticeable on the rusty side. Hindsight 20/20 I wish I hadn't removed the barn-find patina that was on it when I first purchased it, but I guess that's as good an excuse as any to come up with a cool paint job for it!
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Snglsmkr

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 16:13 #5

• KJB
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Looks good the way it is - guts not glitz (and that works every time)

KB ( Australia)

'71 DT1
'72 AT3
'86 DT175
'06 PW50
'70 Suzuki T350
'73 Suzuki T500
'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
....... and a mob of '70's Honda 70's......

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 17:53 #6

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
I'll read it all tonight but man i'm impressed. Great that you didn't sell it too. Rear shock look like TT500 style which i have a set of somewhere. Looks slightly taller at the rear due to those shocks but actually looks spot on like that. Think when i had mine on a bit of a bitza yz250a frame thingy i ran them upsidedown but if they have a gas separating piston inside [which i think they do?] you could run the the right way up [old style right way up] without them "big word" emulsifying. Must go find mine as sold the frame & kept the shocks--i feel a project coming on!!. Cheers.

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 17:58 #7

• THEarmpit
  • Novice
  • Novice

KJB wrote: Looks good the way it is - guts not glitz (and that works every time)

Thanks! I agree but I think it will look even better cleaned up and with some fresh paint down the road. We'll see! Probably going to work more on figuring out the transmission issues before doing anything major though

RT325 wrote: I'll read it all tonight but man i'm impressed. Great that you didn't sell it too. Rear shock look like TT500 style which i have a set of somewhere. Looks slightly taller at the rear due to those shocks but actually looks spot on like that. Think when i had mine on a bit of a bitza yz250a frame thingy i ran them upsidedown but if they have a gas separating piston inside [which i think they do?] you could run the the right way up [old style right way up] without them "big word" emulsifying. Must go find mine as sold the frame & kept the shocks--i feel a project coming on!!. Cheers.

Yep, good eye they are 79 TT500 shocks. The original shocks were seized when I bought the bike and I picked them up for 22 bucks after making sure they would fit. I love the look the extra travel gives and they have adjustable stiffness, too. When I was originally working on the bike I was focused on offroad handling, but now that has changed a bit but I'm planning to leave the shocks

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 18:20 #8

• RTD2
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
For the oil leak, check the seal on the shifter. For the fuel starvation, clean the gas tank and petcock again.

68 DT1, 70 DT1C MX, 71 CT1C, 71 RT1B, 71 DT1E MX, 73 AT3MX, 70 Husqvarna 250 Cross, 57 Matchless G80CS, 76 Honda Elsinore; 2015 Yamaha FZ-09

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 19:10 #9

• THEarmpit
  • Novice
  • Novice

RTD2 wrote: For the oil leak, check the seal on the shifter. For the fuel starvation, clean the gas tank and petcock again.

I swapped the clutch push rod back to my original today and there hasn't been any leaking since. I have a brand new petcock installed but yeah the tank is in bad shape I think you're probably right about that being the culprit.

armpit's RT2 Resto-Mod Scrambler 06 May 2018 20:05 #10

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Did you happen to replace the gas cap seals? MDScott had an issue at Cal Dreaming recently where one of the brand new parts swelled up and blocked the air vent passage....

He got pretty good at pulling the key out of the ignition, popping the cap to let air in, closing cap, key back in ignition and ride some more... nursed it back and then removed the bad seal and ran without it. Seemed to be fine after that.

He has a 74... not sure if the cap is the same as the 72 but air venting would be a good thing to check on yours.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Moderators: DEETDevinDmanEnduronutMakotosunVinnieyamadminJames Hart