facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Close but no cigars

14 Jan 2020 08:40
Pillsbury
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Close but no cigars #1
In the off season I play with the race bike to try to improve things. One thing I have been trying to do is to get a straight cut gear set for this old DT1 motor. In 2 years I have not been able to locate a set.
I do a lot of research on what I can find, sometimes it works, this time it did not (yet?)
I picked up an '89 YZ250 clutch pack & engine pinion gear. The clutch fits perfect, it is a bolt in replacement, bearing thrust washers everything!:likey

The problem is..........the spacing between the gears is farther, so the stock pinion gear is 1 tooth to small to mesh correct. It uses a 22 tooth (fits motor spline perfect) But needs a 23 tooth to fit, which would increase the primary drive ratio. Not a bad thing on a road racer but would suck on a dirt bike. From what I have searched, there is no 23T pinion gear available from Yamaha.

So, back to searching for a DT1 (MX) set:Ugh

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1970 Suzuki TC90
1947 Mustang
1974 Suzuki TC185
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2020 13:59
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
Close but no cigars #2
The junk men of old at the salvage yards probably could have helped back when,but alas that knowledge has disappeared unfortunately. Probably be bucks to have a gear made unless you know somebody. It is good to know you found a clutch basket that works if the ring gear is swapped out. That is an awesome find brother.

15 Jan 2020 14:46
Enduronut
Founder Moderator
Founder Moderator
More
Close but no cigars #3

My son and I have discussed making a limited production run of both the smaller AT/CT set, and the DT/RT set, but the soonest we would move on that, is a couple years up the road ... when he retires from the US Air Force.

Wish I could help, but the ones I have will be needed as prototypes. If we do move on this idea, we'll probably only make a dozen sets of each, because it's a fairly substantial investment.

Control your thoughts . . . or your thoughts will control you!.
You can't accomplish . . . what you haven't dreamed!
Don't aim . . . and you'll hit your target every time!
A wise man knows . . . he isn't!
Failure squared . . . equals success!
The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC

15 Jan 2020 16:05
Pillsbury
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Close but no cigars #4

Enduronut wrote: .

My son and I have discussed making a limited production run of both the smaller AT/CT set, and the DT/RT set, but the soonest we would move on that, is a couple years up the road ... when he retires from the US Air Force.

Wish I could help, but the ones I have will be needed as prototypes. If we do move on this idea, we'll probably only make a dozen sets of each, because it's a fairly substantial investment.

Good to hear, put an add in the AHRMA monthly mag and you might sell quite a few.

1968 Honda CL90
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1970 Suzuki TC90
1947 Mustang
1974 Suzuki TC185

15 Jan 2020 16:09
Pillsbury
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Topic Author
Close but no cigars #5

FrankC wrote: The junk men of old at the salvage yards probably could have helped back when,but alas that knowledge has disappeared unfortunately. Probably be bucks to have a gear made unless you know somebody. It is good to know you found a clutch basket that works if the ring gear is swapped out. That is an awesome find brother.

Yes, much more area on this clutch & stronger springs, should not slip. I'm still looking as it seems Yamaha used the same motor spline even on the 500. This fits too good not to happen!!! :huh:

1968 Honda CL90
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1970 Suzuki TC90
1947 Mustang
1974 Suzuki TC185
The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC, Dirtboy

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart