facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Speedo "gear unit ass'y"

Speedo "gear unit ass'y" 11 Mar 2018 21:42 #1

• 95 imp
  • 95 imp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Ok... this weeks question....

I need to tear apart the speedo drive because A) need to get it powder coated and B) it seems the gears are seized. I can't turn the larger one by hand.
The problem I've got is the "spring pin" holding the "bush" (speedo cable threaded connection) in. It looks like the pin is in a blind hole. What's the trick to popping the pin out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by 95 imp.

Speedo "gear unit ass'y" 12 Mar 2018 19:38 #2

• 95 imp
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
There has to be someone as stupid as me who has taken this unit apart.......:huh:

Speedo "gear unit ass'y" 12 Mar 2018 19:59 #3

• FrankC
  • Solution Contributor
  • Solution Contributor
What year and cc. I had not followed your other posts to this point. Is it something like this no. 19 in diagram, although only luck it is correct year and model.
www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorc...T%20WHEEL/parts.html
Still available taboot

Last Edit: by FrankC.

Speedo "gear unit ass'y" 12 Mar 2018 20:05 #4

• 95 imp
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Sorry... 1978 and 175 That is the unit. Here is a better breakdown:

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...8/it175e/front-wheel

#31 is the culprit. The problem I have is the hub is going to be powder coated which means I need to powder coat this piece as well so it matches. Between sandblasting and an oven, the seal and grease are not going to be very happy. :(

Last Edit: by 95 imp.

Speedo "gear unit ass'y" 12 Mar 2018 20:21 #5

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Darn, I was going to reply last night and forgot!

The only way I know to get that pin out is drill the other side as close as you can to where it should be... I use a larger drill bit and found it's easy to "feel" when you hit the steel pin. I wish i could give you more advice but I ended up destroying the one I tried to take apart... it was seized up so I'm going to say that had a lot to do with it. :whistle:

I think the threaded brass cable fitting is pressed into the aluminum so heating the housing after you get the pin out might help remove the fitting.

Complete assemblies are still available new on ebay or from Yamaha or I got a very nice used one on ebay for $10... if you manage to get it apart, please share how you did it! :Buds
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Speedo "gear unit ass'y" 12 Mar 2018 20:49 #6

• 95 imp
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Uh Oh... I'm beginning to feel like Columbus exploring the "new world"....

AAAAIIIIIGHT! Cover me! I'm going in!

It looks like the opposite side of that pin lands in the edge of the seal area. Maybe I'll try drilling the pin out. If I can, and there is enough meat left. I'll get a blind tap to thread it for a screw incase it needs to be torn down in the future.

Who was the idiot that came up with this magnificent engineering feat? :Ugh
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC

Speedo "gear unit ass'y" 13 Mar 2018 12:40 #7

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I don't think they were designed to come apart... which makes it odd that they list some of the parts.

When I drilled from the back, you're right... I do remember drilling through the "shoulder" that exists outside the seal... I did not damage the surface the seal rides on though. I had planned on using JB weld to fill in the hole if the repair was successful... that wouldn't work for you so well if powdercoating.

There are some ideas if you Google... filling with grease and a small punch tapped down the center hole apparently often removes the pin with hydraulic pressure.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

Speedo "gear unit ass'y" 27 Mar 2018 20:26 #8

• 95 imp
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I ended up drilling the back side "almost" straight and used a couple of finishing nails to punch it out. The nails bent easier and kind of followed the angle better and pushed it out far enough for pliers to take over. The main gear is rusted on its shaft and I can't get the driven gear out. Ended up with a ebay part. I'm gonna just paint it rather than tear this one down.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT

• Page:
Moderators: DEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinVinnieJames Hart