facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

YZ pipe on a 1979 it 250

• MrDrSirMan
  • MrDrSirMan's Avatar Topic Author

YZ pipe on a 1979 it 250 was created by MrDrSirMan

So I recently got a 1979 it 250 and I have been looking around for possible upgrades to the bike and I havent really found any. However, I know that DG made a pipe for the same year YZ. Because both of these bikes use the same cylinder will this fit? Also, will I see any power gains from it?

Here is the pipe/ exhaust if anyone is wondering. 
www.dgperformance.com/dg-performance-mod...979&prodType=Exhaust
19 Jan 2022 11:19 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic YZ pipe on a 1979 it 250

If it fits then i'm sure it'll go better providing you buy their muffler for the end & don't use the IT original. I'm surprised the It uses the YZ cylinder & thought they'd be milder ported by a little. But yep, same part number. I see the head number is different but pick looks the same so wonder if its got a higher compression in the YZ head. IT shows two head gaskets so ditch one if yours still has two. I remember on later IT490's they came with a restrictor ahead of the carb in the rubber manifold--just a restrictive washer. Unlikely with yours i'm sure being a 250. I bought a DG overstock pipe & muffler for my YZ490K "83 about 10 years ago. Was a bad fit & had to heat & bend it to fit square on to the cylinder--side angled exhaust flange--DG just having a bad day i guess. but annoying at the time as cost the earth & bought for my specific model of bike. Yours looks a central port so hopefully no problems fitting.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...linder-head-cylinder
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy...linder-head-cylinder
19 Jan 2022 13:50 #2

• MrDrSirMan
  • MrDrSirMan's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by MrDrSirMan on topic YZ pipe on a 1979 it 250

Thanks for the response. I cant be the first one to have thought of this though.
19 Jan 2022 17:38 #3

Replied by RT325 on topic YZ pipe on a 1979 it 250

Actually thinking again the IT frame would be a bit different in the rear subframe so hope nothing gets in the way of the pipe or muffler.
19 Jan 2022 18:51 #4

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart