facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

465 crankcase

03 Aug 2020 22:00
nijalninja
More
Topic Author
465 crankcase #1
In a while I will go and get some pictures of all this but for now I have general questions.

This 465 crankcase has been seized on the bottom end, presumably from running on no oil mix, and also has some cracks and broken off walls inside the case. The cracks aside, is splitting the crankcase to get to the main bearings and at least remove the crank and conrod and inspect the gearbox really as terrifying and precise as I have been told?

From some people I know I have been told to not even touch it because once pulled apart they are not likely to go back the exact way they came apart, but I figured and have found out there are dowel pins in there to ensure the alignment of everything. However, what side would I pull the casing off so I don't have half the gearbox falling out on me? Or should I not touch it at all?

The cracks are terrible but from what I can tell the motor had been running for some time even with these cracks.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Aug 2020 00:07
nijalninja
More
Topic Author
465 crankcase #2
Ok so here should be the photos of everything so far including two breaks both near the kickstarter.

Considering there is a little hole in the case looking into the gears below the one break so I am thinking it is ultimately fine.

Ideas?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

06 Aug 2020 22:16
nijalninja
More
Topic Author
465 crankcase #3
Gonna guess that not many people on here have a bottom end just laying around, or the means of splitting the case in mind.

07 Aug 2020 02:37 07 Aug 2020 02:41 by RT325.
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
465 crankcase #4
Welcome. From where you are with the motor its pretty straight forward to dismantle. Sprocket off & undo every case screw & also take off the roller arm running on the selector drum star. Might be able to leave the star in place --can't remember-- & might have slots for the star high points to pass through the case if you line them up. Then if there's nothing left on the crank like a spacer where the crank gear was, then the cases should come apart from the right side as crank has to pass through the right crank bearing but is only a sliding fit. Oh, & the kick idler gear must come off too. Then with the case off everything is visible & gearbox can be removed. Then go look for the missing piece of alloy from the hole. Could be ok without that broken piece. Thing 'is' what caused it to break. My 465 yz broke the stop on the kick shaft --was my 490 come to think but same horse--& the broken stop let the kickstart lever go right forward until it hit the outer cover. But still shouldn't break the case as yours did. Or did the kick gear lose a tooth & get forced through there. Maybe something with the first gear big wheel in the box which is directly below the hole. After all that the crank will still be in the left case as is a super tight fit in that bearing & you'll have to devise a way to press it out unless you're lucky & the bearing isn't as tight as it should be in the case. Anyway, that's enough bull s#%t for one session.

07 Aug 2020 19:14
nijalninja
More
Topic Author
465 crankcase #5
Thank you very much that is all of the information that I needed. When I finally get a moment I will pull it all apart and report back. Cheers!

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart