facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

'81 465 Project

14 Feb 2020 22:18
nijalninja
More
Topic Author
'81 465 Project #1
G'day there, first time posting in here :).

My father has picked up this IT 465 which sadly has been abused and butchered and then mistreated for a long time. For now the main issue I am asking about is how the frame seems to have been snapped and broken and then bodgily welded back together. My questions are mostly ideas for fixing up the frame and tidying it before I have it painted. Where the bolts are welded in I was going to just grind back and file away carefully until the weld was gone and replaced the bolts, but I think there is meant to be a loop that extends out and over the rear guard which is completely missing, as well as the left hand side plate that is meant to bolt to the fender and keep it in place. They have also plugged the frame here with weld.

In another place they seem to have welded a badly shaped bit of hollow round bar around the frame to repair something underneath. I planned to grind it off and at least see what was under there and perhaps have a more experienced welder repair it then grind it all back flat. Its also missing the kickstand mount which has been broken off.

I will have more to talk about later since the motor will need to be rebuilt, but for now the crankcase is pretty toasted and needs to be replaced. So essentially any ideas about actually fixing and tidying the frame and things to look out for in the future with the rest of it will be appreciated.

Cheers.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Feb 2020 00:31
Gr8uncleal
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
'81 465 Project #2
Welcome! from the UK.

From your introduction, I'm assuming that you're 'down under'?

If you're not worried about maintaining the matching engine and frame numbers (assuming that they do match!), then the easiest and cheapest option might be to try and source another frame. If that came with other useable parts that you need, then even better!

15 Feb 2020 01:04
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
'81 465 Project #3
That’s a tough decision to call, there are people around who can repair these frames, but only a big jump tells if it’s safe or not.
if the cases are knackered too it could turn into a very dear project that will be hard to move on should you sell it.
you could get a 250 /465 frame around the same year that most of the stuff fits into.. YZs don’t have the hoop on the rear . the engine will also fit into K/L models but most other parts are different.

15 Feb 2020 02:25
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
'81 465 Project #4
I had an IT250 frame from "84 that had rust like yours & had rotted right through the front down tube from the inside out. They might've gone thinner materials for those laer models but was a bit of a worry as was only 'just' visible from the outside. Was given it for the Alloy Swinging Arm so scrapped the frame before someone got hurt.

08 Apr 2020 17:42
nijalninja
More
Topic Author
'81 465 Project #5
Finally got back to this topic. I'm gonna try and remove some of the worst of the welds and see what is exactly under there, but in the meantime I have been having trouble tracking down a crankcase. No wreckers in australia seem to have any so I figured I might ask if anyone knows collectors or mates or so on who have an old one lying around that needs to be put into a bike?

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart