facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

IT 400 dual sport, 12v electric?

14 Feb 2020 19:03
Dunk
More
Topic Author
IT 400 dual sport, 12v electric? #1
I picked up a '77 IT400 last week. Headlight and tail light filaments were blown when I got it. I got new 6v bulbs and the lights work, but inconsistent. Maybe loose connections in wiring or the switches as it's intermittent. The brake light works 100% of the time off a switch in the front brake, but is very dim at idle. Plenty bright at RPM though. As is the lighting it good enough for my immediate use, brief pavement pounding between trails and don't plan to be out after dark.

I would like to have consistently functional and bright lighting suitable for use at night on road though, and add turn signals. Is there a stator or lighting coil available that will get me 12v at idle? I assume I could use any of the typical reg/rect units such as Oregon Motorcycle Parts or cobble my own from digikey or wherever. I'm thinking a quality H4 reflector with an XT500 bucket and brackets would probably fit the IT. For the rear just swap the 6v bulb for a good 12v 1157 style LED. For turn signals I could use an XT500 left control, flasher, and whatever signals I find that mount easily. Beyond that a small battery or capacitor should be easy enough to mount somewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Feb 2020 22:11
trailhand
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
IT 400 dual sport, 12v electric? #2
A venerable query....sounds like you no need assistance :)
Nonetheless, once upon a time I used (with light mod) a 6v CT1 Battery holder/holding bracket,
as found beneath the seat of said steed. And I bolted it up, 1 bolt to the front left fuel tank
mount.... ran lines from there, rectifier under seat.... It made nice the 6v system
at the time. More is desired these days no doubt. Enjoy :)

Toby L
Yamaha CT1 175
Yamaha DT1 250
Yamaha RT1 360 (restorider)
Yamaha RT1 360MX (sold)
04' Yamaha XT 225
05' Honda XRL 650
99' Suzuki DR 350

20 Feb 2020 18:39
DirtPirate
More
IT 400 dual sport, 12v electric? #3
You can convert the existing lighting coil to 12V. I'm going to do it on my 1979 IT175. There is full 12V conversion thread on the Aussie IT forums, just google it.
I have already sourced the new regulator and bullet connectors needed, very inexpensive to do if you are handy.

20 Feb 2020 19:37
Dunk
More
Topic Author
IT 400 dual sport, 12v electric? #4
I've never rewound a coil or stator before but I'm not opposed to doing it if I have some direction. The Australian IT forum is password protected for everything. I submitted my registration to the yamahait.com.au forum on the 5th and it is still awaiting admin approval. I believe I tried registering years ago as well, when I was considering another IT, and my request was never approved. It was a heck of a struggle for a dumb American to figure out the beer riddle, but I did eventually. In any event, if you know someone over there who can approve my registration request I would greatly appreciate it if you could put in a good word. From the google excepts it seems like a wealth of knowledge.

21 Feb 2020 19:41
DirtPirate
More
IT 400 dual sport, 12v electric? #5
Can't help you with the login, just answer the questions correctly, I know it took a bit of research before I got them all right.

The 12V mod does not require any rewinding, you are only "floating" the ground and adding in a 12V regulator. Even if you do rewind, it won't net you that much, again, plenty of info can be found on that topic.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart