facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
02 Sep 2019
Your admin has not been on the site much as of late as my main computer apparently seized up :( I have had limited access, but will be back soon. Thanks. Mako
  • Page:

TOPIC: IT 490 kick start issue

IT 490 kick start issue 19 Aug 2019 12:14 #1

• webfluid
  • webfluid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
One of the few things i noticed on this bike as the gear rattled around on the end of the shaft. on inspection it had no washer between coil spring and starter gear. i managed to source one and it seems to work better but i am still thinking to get a new spring .
can any one tell me if the small hole on the shaft is for oil to flow or is it a spring retainer? my spring has a nipped end where it locates into the nylon bush
i don’t remember seeing the hole on my 250 i did but then again i didn’t have an issue with kick start
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IT 490 kick start issue 08 Sep 2019 08:00 #2

• webfluid
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
update obviously my question was not worded well enough.
so i put the side case on my IT 490 and the kick start return does not work , so i assume i may have answered my own question.
so should i replace the kick start spring as it seems to have a nibble of the end of it that clips into the nylon roller (see pic) so my question was does the end of the spring locate into the hole in the kick shaft? which i have also shown in lower pic with arrow pointing to hole.
i am assuming it does else the spring cannot gain tension ......... but i would rather someone else said yes or no because i can't find anything anywhere on the subject
Attachments:

IT 490 kick start issue 08 Sep 2019 10:32 #3

• Biknflyfisher
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Hey Webfluid:
It was 4 years ago when I last had the side cover off the clutch side of my IT490, but as I recall, the spring tang did go into that hole.
But that is just a recollection......
Biknflyfisher

1983 IT490K; 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300,
2003 KTM 450exc
Too many fly rods,,,

IT 490 kick start issue 08 Sep 2019 12:57 #4

• webfluid
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
thanks, i am surprised it’s not mentioned in the manual. i shall oder a new spring

IT 490 kick start issue 08 Sep 2019 16:06 #5

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Is clip 3 there as can't see it in your pic as that makes the gear move out into mesh & return out of mesh. That big washer must be there to limit the gears travel 'out' & clip 3 mentioned has tension on it & the ear fits in a slot so it can travel out & back with the gear. Sorry if i'm not following the subject properly but will have a read this evening. The kick start stops on those let go so the shaft turns forward on return & unwinds the spring. If your stop is ok & not split & turning then your lucky & have a good one. Sprin definitely fits in the hole so the spring ear has to be long enough to fit safely in. The large washer protects the spring & limits the gears outward travel. Not a good system but tis what it is. Check that cast steel stop on the shaft though. Will be obvious if damaged.--Till Later.

IT 490 kick start issue 08 Sep 2019 20:55 #6

• webfluid
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
clip 3 is on the back of the wheel, i have tested it to have a minimum of 1.2kg of resistance as per
manual. i get how it works and it would make more sense if the spring tang did go in the hole

IT 490 kick start issue 09 Sep 2019 01:38 #7

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Also wondering how the plastic bit ended up with two grooves for the spring. I guess was done before you bought it though.

IT 490 kick start issue 09 Sep 2019 01:46 #8

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
This probably isn't helping but just saw it so thought i'd post it for a look. Just wondering if your spring that broke has left the broken bit in the hole & stopping a good spring engaging fully & causing it to escape. Can you reverse the plastic spacer & carve another notch--not that it realy matters like it is.
thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1274642-82-...lem-breaking-spring/
The following user(s) Liked this Post: webfluid

IT 490 kick start issue 10 Sep 2019 06:03 #9

• webfluid
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Hi weather the kick spring caused the gear to chip and smash a lump off the clutch basket is difficult to say as i bought the bike from an idiot, who had obviously had a go at fixing it himself ( but denied he'd ever touched it!) he omitted the washer that holds all the kick mechanism together.
the nick on the end of the spring tang was probably done at the same time the case and basket cracked , because there was no washer holding it all together i assume the spring popped out of the retainer which caused the kick starter gear to scrape the case internally thus sending debris into transmission , breaking the clutch basket and then that fragment breaking the 2 nd gear and the debris from all that popped the crank case.... i don't know i wasn't there , but that's what i think could have happened....... or maybe the cases were so over tightened ( as i couldn't get them apart due to the tightness of case bolts) .
i am fairly confident it will all work again providing its put back together right.
never come across a kick starter issue before as all the bikes i have had in the past have had a working kick starter although i may have asked the same thing on the 125 i had ....but cannot remember.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325

IT 490 kick start issue 11 Sep 2019 06:28 #10

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Case screws might've seemed overtight but it's just the Japanese threads are designed to sort of lock when tightened to stop them easily coming loose [or maybe i dreamed that bit years ago] but they're always difficult to crack free after years of being tight. Best way i find is a new 'quality' No3 impact tip in an 8mm long-ish T-bar & tap it to seat it in the screw & it'll crack free but if it slips just once then its downhill from there. But if that happens then flat punch the head of the screw back into shape then seat the impact tip & try again pushing hard to stop it climbing out. & if that doesn't work then 'i give up' & used the impact driver. Not a fan of them but if needs must--!!, well not a fan for tightening things that's for sure.

• Page:
Moderators: DEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinVinnieJames Hart