facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Restoring a 490

18 Nov 2019 08:45
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Restoring a 490 #31
I made a plastic chain guard for my Bultaco. If there is a place near you to buy sheets of ABS you can mold it using a heat gun. The place near me is called Taps Plastic. They had remnants for a couple of dollars.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
'01 KDX220
'68 YG5T 80 Trailmaster
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Nov 2019 09:07
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #32
That’s really good i have often thought some of these plastic parts could be fabricated or 3d printed. my efforts repairing this 35 year old stuff is proving difficult. my side panel is an eyesore and my rear mudguard is a dogs breakfast. but until i can get this engine running i shall hold off such extravagance
The following user(s) Liked this Post FrankC

08 Dec 2019 06:01
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #33
Managed to get a couple of hours this morning as the weather in the UK is ok for a change.
adjusted front brakes so they actually do something now.
managed to avoid hacking the tank mounts around by literally turning the things around to gain over 5mm that i needed to get the tank aligned correctly.
Had a play around with the rear shock damping and managed to get it feeling better than it was. may need a rebuild in the future, its not leaking but my rebuilt shock on my 250 seemed to hold my weight a bit better and not sag as much as this one does. i shall have a look at the manual and do some measurements.
I still haven't tightened down the head as i am holding off doing a large order from motoduro.co.uk to get all the little bits to finish the bike off and i don't really want to undo the bolts on the head once torqued down and put the top mount on. ( if that makes any sense) .......and don't want to ruin my christmas should i encounter a problem when starting for the first time.

Managed to get the speedo mount rigged up using a fabricated piece of 2mm sheet steel, using the yamaha trip meter mount as a pattern. seemed to turn out ok but won't know until i get a headlight shroud to fit to it.
test fitted the saddle with the old seat cover and it looks a beast.
got to sort the throttle assembly out as its just too stiff, i think the cable news replacing although i will try cleaning it again to see if it loosens up.

This message has attachments images.

08 Dec 2019 07:21
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Restoring a 490 #34
Looking fantastic! :OnFire

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post webfluid

08 Dec 2019 07:49
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #35
Its not the masterpiece i would love to build and my OCD is really suffering :unsure: putting this bike together.
Once i get round to firing it up and see how it runs.....if at all i will be able to see what it really needs, but at this point i am just cleaning the parts up and putting them straight back on and replacing the really annoying little bits that snap off these bikes like clips brackets etc etc. i am trying to salvage the stand i have but i need to bother my friend again for a spot of welding to avoid the hack job that was on the bike originally.

08 Dec 2019 11:54
skimmer
More
Restoring a 490 #36
The tank sits a whole lot better now you made those adjustments. Hope it runs okay when you fire it up, engines make hell of a din being aircooled but can seem all worthwhile when you open the tap and it gets on the pipe, not easy to keep the front wheel connected to the deck in most gears.

08 Dec 2019 12:46
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
Restoring a 490 #37
Great work you guys do & way beyond me. Just need to say [& said it many times on all models] make very sure the flywheel is done up tight. My yz490K [same basic motor] came from California already broken off & not knowing that, first kick & goodbye to the kick & intermediate gears. Also it kicked back so hard i knew straight away what had happened, but wish the seller had mentioned he'd changed the stator--started it--then crated it. Bloody hurt too, limping for a while. Anyway--love your work. ps, & it shouldn't kick back at all as retards off for starting. Hard to kick over Yes--but kick back No, or maybe if you gave it a soft kick & if it 'did' kick back it'd be a very retarded timing warning shot, like it's saying [don't mess with me--do it properly]. Good luck.

10 Dec 2019 08:40
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #38
I have set the timing using the marks on the case and magneto, i will have a go using a strobe (timing gun) on it as i have one now.

23 Dec 2019 03:29 23 Dec 2019 07:36 by webfluid. Reason: spelling
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #39
Happy Christmas to all at Vintage enduros.com
So its very difficult to work on the bike due to continuous rain, but in-between rainfall i grabbed a couple of hours on the bike...........fixing not riding.
Had a guy in the UK buy a set of NOS hand guards from me and has been in contact a couple of times since. managed to talk me out of a U.S. model look it currently has .. which this bike is, and give me the yellow accents that make these ITs stand out from the crowd.
Now i have fitted the parts, swing arm decals and fork boots and fitted the headlamp shroud i have to say I'm converted!

So yellow shock gators and decals it is.

managed to sort the throttle out by re-routing the cable......didnt need the 490 throttle controller in the end ( as that would have resulted in buying a new cable, when this one will work) so ill hang onto the one i bought just in case i need it further down the line.

Have a IT wiring problem i have to sort out in the main forum if anyone can help please

This message has attachments images.

The following user(s) Liked this Post KennyV, Super90

23 Dec 2019 14:06
FrankC
Solution Contributor
Solution Contributor
More
Restoring a 490 #40
Beautiful bike bro!

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart