facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Restoring a 490

01 Jul 2019 10:53 01 Jul 2019 10:54 by webfluid.
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #1
Haven't been here for a while as been doing other stuff. Managed to find a home for my 83 IT 250 a project that i started last year and with the money i managed to purchase a 'cheap' 490. If there had been another one about at the time i would have bought that gladly with what i have learnt about the bike since purchase.
These restoration bikes don't come up to often in the UK so i snatched at it

what a pile of bits it was, thrown together and sent over to the UK.
It has some good bits although they are few:
a tank that holds fuel and a full DG system a frame that isn't broken................and most of the bearings seem good
But that is about it, kick starter is loose which intern has chipped the case which has broken the clutch basket into the trans and chipped off 2nd gear and also broken the numbered crank case.
to cut a long story short i am fortunate enough to have a lot of spare parts and the case has been welded up. It looks ok and i can only work with what i got . so onward we go
spare clutch basket will go in the bike<spare tank spare linkages air box etc etc
welded up

The swing arm is so scratched and chunked i opted for respraying it as i did the frame , although that is a good frame as far as the rest of the bike is concerned

managed to get the bearings out with any issues, so now have to wait for the expensive parts as i am running out of jobs i can do, i will refurb the wheels at a later date but finally at a point where can start putting things back on .
The list of jobs is endless so i would imagine it will be a while for the update
The following user(s) Liked this Post bluntz465, Super90

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jul 2019 18:01
bluntz465
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Restoring a 490 #2
let us know if we can help find stuff!

1957 Cushman Eagle 1969 Honda 90 ATC 1969 Honda CB250
1973 Yamaha AT3 1974 Kawasaki KH440 1974 Honda XR75
1975 Suzuki TS75 1975 Kawasaki GreenStreak 90 1975 Suzuki GT550
1975 Suzuki TS250 1976 Suzuki GT550 1976 Indian Chief
1976 Yamaha YZ80 1978 Yamaha IT175 1980 Suzuki GS550
1982 Yamaha IT465J

04 Jul 2019 19:11
mdscott
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Restoring a 490 #3
Nice , what a beast, I use to own a 87 YZ490, liked the bike.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

05 Jul 2019 07:02
Biknflyfisher
Open Class
Open Class
More
Restoring a 490 #4
Good find!
I’ve had my 1983 IT490 since 1991 and it’s a real blast to open up that throttle and let her rip.....
There are lots of used parts on eBay, at least here in the USA so perhaps you can source some of what you need from there.
Keep the pictures coming, we like pictures
Biknflyfisher

1983 IT490K; 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300,
2003 KTM 450exc
Too many fly rods,,,

16 Jul 2019 04:47
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #5
Thanks for your interest in this beast. i have wanted a big bore two stroke since about the age of 8 and. now i have one, a. bit if me wishes it wasn’t this one!
It’s difficult to know where to go with this bike, i do wonder if it is a parts bike as some bits look hardly worn and some look like they have had a hard life.
The frame is immaculate as are the wheels, every frame bolt still has its nickel plating on from new. but the swing arm looked battered but intact. even has a chain guard, which i believe broke as soon as the bike started from new and fetch silly money in the U.K.
i can’t bring myself to go all in with a full restoration as it costs thousands, and i don’t want to be the owner of the worlds
most expensive IT.
Parts wise i think i have nearly everything apart from a few clips and a piston kit. i’ll keep costs down and give it a lick of paint, rebuild rear shock ( these K models feel fantastic with a properly gassed and non leaking shock ) , re wire it get the few bits it’s missing for the headlight and rear
mudguard, use my old 250 k side panels and i am pretty much there.
just about to start rebuilding the trans bearings / bottom end and put the case halves back together so hopefully will have some more pics soon
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, 2fishkev, bluntz465, Wheel mad

25 Jul 2019 09:56 25 Jul 2019 10:02 by webfluid. Reason: missing file
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #6
not much to update but started a lot of jobs painting. stripped wheels and painted rims and hubs, sent barrel and head of to bead blasters. Banged all the bearings in the cases and pleased to see welds holding strong. Re -assembled transmission after locating a 2nd gear from france. absolutely amazed how heavy the trans is . The whole thing shafts , selectors barely fits in the cases. managed to get it selecting gears and moving as it should . will hopefully have the crank fitted in next couple of days . so i can get the bottom end back in the frame and off my kitchen table. such a big engine, i had to remove the barrel whilst in the frame when i took it out as it ohysically doesn’t fit out of the frame assembled unless i am doing it wrong
Attachments:

25 Jul 2019 14:43
Wheel mad
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Restoring a 490 #7
As a former 490 owner, the best advice I can give is ... Loctite everything.

Riding mine one day and my right foot kept slipping off the peg, looking down I see my boot covered in oil. The primary drive nut had come loose and was machining it's way out thru the side case. That bike gave me a bit grief from memory, maybe it was it was a dud, maybe it just needed more maintenance than I was willing to give it. This was 30 years ago, and all I wanted to do back then was ride.

31 Jul 2019 02:22
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #8
so i was looking through my manual today checking torque settings before i put the case halves back together. to my eye initially i see 87ft lb. i scratch my head and think that’s awfully tight, but could explain why the cases were so hard to split.
i did actually cross check the Nm measurement and noted 12ft lb is adequate.
But why would yamaha print there manual with no decimal point between the 8 and 7? obvious to the well trained but for the home mechanic , that is how things get broken.
Attachments:

31 Jul 2019 05:10
MarkT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
Restoring a 490 #9
I don't know if the Internet is big enough to catalog the errors in early Yamaha literature...

Yamaha made great bike... documentation? Not always so great.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post Snglsmkr

06 Aug 2019 11:43
webfluid
Open Class
Open Class
More
Topic Author
Restoring a 490 #10
Had a clear weekend so set about the task of tidying up the wheels. Had a good set of yamaha spokes from my previous 250 build that i buffed up and left in the shed for the day i need them, and today was that day.
The wheels were really chipped up, the rims especially. plenty of dead spokes to cut out before painting the rims and hubs. Had the usual brain freeze getting started with the re- spoking but got there in the end and still managed to save 2/3 of the spokes for the next build. its good to have spares and that is another good thing about a U.S. import as everything is rust free.

Not my finest work but for this particular bike but there is only so much a man can do in a shed on a boiling hot day.
More by accident i opted for gloss finish on all the black metal work on the bike. which is growing on me, and forcing me to do a nice finish with no runs. I will re do the exhaust as i am really not happy with the texture and colour of the VHT simoniz Black. But that can be rectified with PJ satin black. It looks spot on for that stock finish.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post MarkT, bluntz465, shyted, Snglsmkr

Moderators: DEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinVinnieJames Hart