facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing.

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 15 Mar 2019 16:16 #1

• TB2blazer
  • TB2blazer's Avatar Topic Author
My father has a 1974 DT175 that if you take the flywheel off and put it back on the spark plug will spark for the first 2 kicks then will not spark at all until you remove it and put it back on again. I have replaced the points and the condenser, checked for proper gap per the manual, replaced the spark plug cap/boot, removed the wires from the kill switch and tried turning over no change, and tried brand new plugs in it. When I went to take the side cover off there was a good bit of water in it I guess from where my father washed it (case had a chip taken out that was letting water in). I blew off everything I could with the air compressor and wiped down all I could and let it sit for about an hour but it still sparks on the first 2 kicks till you remove the flywheel and put it back on again. Anyone know where I should start to get this thing sparking again? Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 15 Mar 2019 21:24 #2

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
First try cleaning the points, point file and contact cleaner. Did you check the timing.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 16 Mar 2019 02:14 #3

• Wheel mad
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
If that same pattern is repeatable and the crank taper,flywheel and key are all good.
I'd suggest trying another coil.

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 16 Mar 2019 04:20 #4

• Rob
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Sorry for cutting in but I have a 1975 dt125 with a 1977 engine fitted has no wiring I want to fit lights indicators horn but cannot get wiring diagram a member said your bike might be similar to mine if it's not to much trouble could u take pictures of wiring and where regulator and other electrical parts go that's if u have wiring harness fitted thanks rob

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 16 Mar 2019 06:19 #5

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Rob wrote: Sorry for cutting in but I have a 1975 dt125 with a 1977 engine fitted has no wiring I want to fit lights indicators horn but cannot get wiring diagram a member said your bike might be similar to mine if it's not to much trouble could u take pictures of wiring and where regulator and other electrical parts go that's if u have wiring harness fitted thanks rob

Rob

Try the section on electrics towards the end of this manual from the Tech Library.

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/se...a-b-c-service-manual

However, you might have some fun and games, as I believe that the DT125 was 12v and had an electric start and the DT175 was 6v and didn't.

Good luck!

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 16 Mar 2019 08:04 #6

• Scootern29
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Check the connection of the spark plug cap.

Question authority, think for yourself!

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 16 Mar 2019 17:01 #7

• TB2blazer
I have cleaned the points and checked the spark plug cap and everything is good there. I'm not sure how to check the timing, maybe I can find a manual online or something so I can check that. I might need a new coil because I have taken the flywheel of and back on about 5 times and the result is always the same. Kick twice spark, after that no spark. Is there a way to test the coil with a multimeter? Thank you all so much for your help with this!

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 16 Mar 2019 18:29 #8

• Schu
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Try push starting it. Get a few good physically fit people to help. A gentle decline or a slight downhill grade always helps if you are doing this solo.
I typically have someone pull start me, but that's A Hole Nuther Ballgame and I'm not about to suggest that method.

Schu

"If it's possible to do it two ways, do it the other way first to save time"

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 16 Mar 2019 19:04 #9

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
This is a strange issue that really doesn't make sense. I was thinking it might not have dried out and I'm still thinking that might be it. It just doesn't make sense pulling the flywheel fixes anything.

Check the wiring under the flywheel to see if anything has rubbed.

I'd try disconnecting the kill switch(es) and checking the connection in the wire from the stator to the coil... maybe disconnect the harness and run a wire from the stator to the coil and bypass everything else...

74 might be one of the years the 175 had a diode in the wire from the points to the coil. Diode could be bad? A picture of the engine wiring harness plug where it connects to the main wiring harness would be helpful. Does it have an extra black wire not connected to anything?

Wiring diagrams and manuals are available in the Tech Library here.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT325

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

74 DT175 spark first 2 kicks then nothing. 17 Mar 2019 12:58 #10

• TB2blazer
I didnt have much time to work on it today but I did hook up an in-line spark checker and it will barely make the light glow just a little when I kick it. So I know it's getting current to the plug it just seems to be really weak.

Last Edit: by TB2blazer.
  • Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart