facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT360A front brake cable fitment problem

DT360A front brake cable fitment problem 14 Mar 2019 17:18 #1

• Trigbe
  • Trigbe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I purchased a Yamaha front brake cable #1m1-26341-00-00 which was listed to fit the DT360. Going to fit it on the bike and it was not the same as the original cable. Although the exposed inner cable was the same length the vinyl sheath was about 3 1/2 " longer. Also at the drum end the newer cable had a threaded adjuster sleeve with a lock nut.. This does not fit through the lug on the brake drum. In the photo I have the two cables next to each other. So has anyone ran into this? If so should I drill out the lug for the newer cable? Or just have a cable made?
Thanks
Trig
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT360A front brake cable fitment problem 15 Mar 2019 01:45 #2

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Trigbe

I too have a DT360A. I am in the UK, my bike is a US import and the person I purchased it from had started the resto work, but had then given up.

It came with new replacement cables. The front brake cable, like yours, was an incorrect fitment in that it had the threaded end. I bought a correct one and the wrong one is in my box of parts waiting to be sold on. The difference in the length of the 'sleeve' appears to be common and I recall one forum member just put some shrink wrap wire cover over theirs!

The correct part number for the DT250 and 360A front brake cable is 438-26341-00 - the part that you bought is for the later DT250 and 400B and C.

The trouble is that some of these manufacturers of reproduction parts, either deliberately or accidently, advertise their parts as fitting bikes that, actually, they don't. Just because the DT360 and DT400 have quite a few common parts, it doesn't mean to say that all parts are interchangeable.

My DT360A also came with the wrong new reproduction clutch cable (too short when routed correctly).

My RT2 also came with the wrong reproduction clutch cable. As well as that, the throttle cable outer cover needed shortening, although instructions were enclosed for that.

My preference when buying cables is always to go for genuine parts, even if it is new old stock (NOS).

I hope that this helps.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Trigbe

DT360A front brake cable fitment problem 15 Mar 2019 02:49 #3

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
If the cable is usable except for the adjuster i'd either drill the lug to let it slide through or drill & tap it to 6mm--looks like 6mm? like all the smaller trail bikes had. Whatever--even if 8mm, just drill & tap is so you can get good adjustable use out of the adjuster. Might have to get a spare nut & run a double width hacksaw split through it to get over the cable to use as a lock nut with one above & below the lug on the brake plate. That's mainly if you're going to drill the lug so its free to slide then with two nuts you can lock it at any level of adjustment with one nut above & one below the lug. Can't beat a nice new cable with a bit of lube through it!!.

DT360A front brake cable fitment problem 15 Mar 2019 08:55 #4

• Trigbe
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Thanks for the feed back. Found a NOS cable on EBay. The problem is the Yamaha part fiche also lists the newer cable as a replacement but does not show the original part number.
Trig

DT360A front brake cable fitment problem 15 Mar 2019 09:48 #5

• DEET
In 1975, the DT400 switched over to a larger diameter conical hub. The brakes were larger.
The cable mounting and length could be different.
You could post a photo of your hub and brake backing plate to provide additional data.

Yamaha@nc.rr.com

Where the Yamaha Enduro is still a current model...

DT360A front brake cable fitment problem 15 Mar 2019 09:56 #6

• Trigbe
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
So the newer cable fits the later hub. The problem is it does not fit the DT360 brake plate without modification. Also the fact that Yamaha and aftermarket sellers show that the later cable will work. As stated above just source a NOS cable which are around if you don't want to modify the brake plate lug.
Trig

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart