facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Exhaust Paint Opinions?

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 06 Mar 2019 07:33 #11

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
EnduroTex, yeah prepping is very important, I probably didn’t do as good of job as you are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 06 Mar 2019 23:40 #12

• Wessi
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I brought my exhaust to a company, where it was sand blasted and flame sprayed with melted Aluminium. The surface is quite rough, but an ideal base for paint adhearance. Al-coated pipes will never show any rust again, paint stays perfect. For the painting, i used 800°C spray, but the result is matte, not shiny. Costs were about 100 Dollar total.

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 09 Mar 2019 11:30 #13

• EnduroTEX
  • EnduroTEX's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Well I was able to take advantage of some good temps in North Texas yesterday and got the exhaust painted. I am really pleased with how it all turned out as I was committed to trying the slow road by hand sanding and a rattle can paint job.

Here is what I did to prep and finish - I will report after some time on the bike to see if I get any peeling and how it holds up. My initial post has the before and after sanding pics- here is the finished product.

1. Used Heat gun and propane torch to burn the carbon out of the pipe- did this at night so the neighbors would not call the fire department. It smoked pretty good. Lightly tapped with rubber mallet after wards to knock loose any deposits.
2. Hose inside and out with cleaner/degreaser....
3. Complete Wet sand with 220 then moved to 320 for a final final prep.
4. one more round of cleaner/degreaser and final dry.
5. Wiped down entire pipe with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.
6. Painted entire pipe using VHT Caliper Paint (rated 900 degrees) in Satin Black available at Autozone. followed directions of painting with mutitple coats leaving 10 minutes in between coats but finishing the job in under and hour. I think i got a solid 3 coats on there.
7. Let dry overnight and then put in the oven at 200 degrees for one hour to cure per instructions. Pulled it out and let it cool for another hour or so and then ran another 1 hour in the oven at 200 degrees.

appreciatte all the feed back for recommendations and other posts on the topic on the forum.
Will install on bike and take more pics.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: RT360Fan, DouglasDT, darinm, KennyV, Schu, Von

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 09 Mar 2019 21:10 #14

• RT360Fan
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Came out great, good job!

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 11 Mar 2019 05:59 #15

• Rimneck
  • Novice
  • Novice
Looks great - will be following to see some long term results.

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 15 Mar 2019 16:34 #16

• Legup
You might try the VHT ceramic header paint. It does have a clear coat. I painted a cast iron exhaust manifold with this product and it remains the same finish as originally applied
It can be cured in an oven or bolted to the motor. I followed the curing interval recommended, 3 heat cycles. The header and pipe on my DT 400 is getting this treatment

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart