facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Exhaust Paint Opinions?

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 05 Mar 2019 05:43 #1

• EnduroTEX
  • EnduroTEX's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I have taken the slow/poor mans approach and am hand sanding the exhaust on the 75 DT175 vs blasting . I will proably take it to a 600 grit or so and it should be ready. I have seen some pics in other threads of the VHT Caliper paint in Satin black and feel that is the preffered look for me on this bike.

However, this is not my forte so was curious as to other "must do's" before getting started on the paint itself.
1. Is a primer a must for the application prior to painting? being high heat caliper paint I wasnt sure
2. Is a final clear coat recommended after painting - In trying to duplicate other pics i saw with this paint was not sure if clear coat was used or if the satin paint was the final application. I would imagine the clear coat would bring an extra shine that the satin finish paint alone does not bring?

Everytime I do a search on various topics I get more impressed with the work that our members do on this fine machines. I aspire on the other bikes I will be working on to get close but the 175 being my first effort is some trial and error... Thanks to all
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 05 Mar 2019 06:39 #2

• StukaGruppen13
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
You'll definitely need some sort of high-heat paint. The product it self will have instructions as to if primer is needed. My guess is not. There is no need to take it to 600, it's just steel and you won't make it any smoother than say 400. Yes the clear coat would make it shine more, but you might need to get some high heat stuff. What I did for my exhaust was paint it with Por 15's high heat black paint. I brushed it on, and it came out nicely.

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 05 Mar 2019 07:46 #3

• LETSJET
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
The higher heat rated spray paint doesn't flow as nice as the lower temp paint, that's all you need. A satin or low gloss black is what I like. Flat looks terrible after a few hours where as the satin kinda burns in with a good color. You can always pop off the exhaust, paint it again, so touch ups are easy. The exhaust is kinda hard to keep showroom finish so I don't worry how it looks too much.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco

Last Edit: by LETSJET.

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 05 Mar 2019 11:51 #4

• asco
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I am about ready to start on the exhaust painting in the next couple of days. It will be on the Bonnie Bell post, if the bike does not sell. Normally after removing the pipe I put it on my 4 foot rolling scaffold I grab my goggles, or face-mask using a wire wheel on the drill. It takes about 45 minutes or more to rotate the pipe and baffle. I use VHT SATIN BLACK from AUTO ZONE. Before painting I use a can of brake clean and last a good rubbing alcohol clean rag rub-cleaning. The entire process takes 2.5 - 4.0 hours start to finish. I did this on Crosseyed Mary and was happy.

NOTE: Cap nuts ( baffle ) are easily broken threads, use a light touch, it will double time if the threaded rods break.

a

YAMA-LAND
818-521-2109
MINIBIKESERVICE@AOL.COM 1971 125cc AT1-C (DOROTHEA) 1971 175cc CT1-C (BRANDY) 1970 250cc DT1-C (MONICA) 1973 100cc Hodaka Combat Rat (ABBY NORMAL) 1975 DT400 (BONNIE BELL)

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 05 Mar 2019 15:22 #5

• mdscott
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Not sure if it was my thread on the VHT caliper paint, the caliper paint on the header pipe peeled when engine got hot. I repainted with VHT exhaust Flame Proof paint, its flat black. But I applied over with VHT Flame Proof satin clear.

Thanks Mark
Roseville, Ca.

'76 Bultaco 143 Frontera
'06 GL1800
07 DL650
74 DT360
75 Norton
73 CB500K
63 C200
87 PW50
64 McClane Edger

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 05 Mar 2019 15:25 #6

• sprints
  • Novice
  • Novice
Several years I restored an XT500 and found that they have a hi-temp black powdercoat - it's amazing and you'll never paint again
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mauser

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 06 Mar 2019 05:32 #7

• EnduroTEX
  • EnduroTEX's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Thanks all for the feedback. mdscott I did see your thread on caliper paint and some others and after seeing that it was rated nearly 400 degrees higher than even engine paint felt that would do it- however you say you experienced peeling. I know prep is critical as well as the baking (if able to) or mutiple heat cycles that the pipe needs to go through after painting for a proper cure/adhesion- which I am sure you probably did.

After reading the directions with caliper paint no Primer was recommened which seems counter intuitive to me with such an application but what do I know- sounds common per Stuppas comment on this high heat stuff. My issue with other off the shelf at Autozone paints was i did not want flat/matte or high gloss. compromises all around.

I am going to move forward and stop sanding (thank you Stuppa as I was going to up a bit further but am at 400 or so now) and give this VHT Caliper paint in Satin Black a try with proper heat cycles to cure. I will post some pics when complete and report any peeling.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV, StukaGruppen13

Last Edit: by EnduroTEX.

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 06 Mar 2019 06:12 #8

• StukaGruppen13
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
The only time you would need to sand over 600 would be if you were sanding visible parts that you want perfectly smooth. Car panels, gas tanks, etc..

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 06 Mar 2019 06:34 #9

• Rimneck
  • Novice
  • Novice
Something to keep in mind when using hi temp paint, most have a recommended curing procedure. Some say ie: bake at 200° F for 20 minutes, or run engine at idle for a few minutes then allow to cool, restart and run for 20 minutes and allow to cool, etc. In other words, don't just spray it on and wait for it to dry, then turn and burn all day.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: KennyV

Exhaust Paint Opinions? 06 Mar 2019 07:27 #10

• KennyV
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
I'm also going to try the satin black caliper paint. I'm in the process of sand blasting the pipe to bare metal. Hopefully the sand blast finish will help the paint adhere.

Hopefully it will warm up enough today to get outside with my portable sand blaster and bag of Play Sand and finish blasting.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: StukaGruppen13

71 Z50 Minitrail
72 RT2
74 250A
78 XT500E
06 F650GS Dakar
  • Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart