facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DT250 Autolube tutorial

DT250 Autolube tutorial 11 Dec 2018 15:09 #1

• jscott14
  • jscott14's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
I've been gone from this forum for a long time (like 2 years) after my barn find DT250 gave me fits with the electrical. I had DEET redo my magneto (which looks like new now, obviously), but realized AFTER having him do the work that my coil isn't for my DT250. I don't know WHAT it goes to, but it's not my bike. So, just FYI, I have a beautifully restored coil to SOME Yamaha bike if anyone has interest. :)
Anyway, I got my PowerDynamo system all hooked up and the whole system is rewired using a brand new wiring harness. Everything now works 100%! Runs like a top and every single bulb and indicator works. My very last step was to verify the autolube system (since I had just done the test runs of the bike using premix). I couldn't find any great tutorials/explanations on these autolube pumps, so I decided to just make a video on the process.
It's long-winded... perhaps TOO long-winded. But it's not targeted for people who already know how these pumps work. I wanted to simplify the concept of the pumps so that they would hopefully be a bit de-mystified. I just thought I'd share it here. If you have half and hour to burn and want to potentially learn a bit about these little pumps, give it a gander!

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Enduronut, Devin, Blackhat250, FrankC, KJB, yamahahaha, Snglsmkr, pabdt, PDXtyist, Zozr, StukaGruppen13, Mr Vegetable Trousers, Camp3, Iwride, Dad637, Von, Trigbe, blazeone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT250 Autolube tutorial 11 Dec 2018 15:48 #2

• Zozr
  • Novice
  • Novice
Great stuff. Can never have too many how to videos for these old bikes. Mine is deleted and running premix right now but I do have a spare pump I might give a shot one day.

Again nice video!

DT250 Autolube tutorial 11 Dec 2018 17:28 #3

• johninga
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Nice description. Thanks for posting. John

DT250 Autolube tutorial 11 Dec 2018 19:59 #4

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Nice video! Awesome explanation of the basic principles! :likey

You saw how that initial cable adjustment can make a difference if the marks are not aligned... It is very easy to have excess cable slack in the lower throttle cable so that the oil pump pulley (or adjuster plate as you call it) rotates quite a bit before the throttle slide starts to lift. So you really need to rotate the throttle grip until the slack is out of the throttle cable and the slide just starts to lift... and then check the alignment of the pin and mark. Not twisting the grip to take up the cable slack at the slide is a common reason for an over-oiling pump on models that have the pump cable adjustment at idle.

P.S. Yamaha specs for many pumps is the same output volume per 200 strokes... it's important to note that this does not mean the pump system on a 250 is identical to the pump system on a 360 or 400. Different size engines have different pump drive gear ratios (often the internal worm gear driving the pump) so the pump on one size engine might be pumping slower or faster at a given RPM than a pump on a different size engine.

So 200 strokes delivers the same volume of oil but at say exactly 1000 engine RPM a smaller engine might reach the 200 count in 45 seconds while a bigger engine with a different internal worm gear might reach 200 strokes in only 35 seconds... Bigger engine is spinning the pump faster and getting more oil at the same engine RPM.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: FrankC, Zozr, Dad637

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
Last Edit: by MarkT.

DT250 Autolube tutorial 12 Dec 2018 07:37 #5

• jscott14
  • jscott14's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Thanks, everyone! MarkT, I actually thought about bringing up the various final drive ratios of the pumps between the various models, but since it was already too long in my mind, I decided to skip it. Especially since the output values and measurements are still the same.
Regarding the slack in the THROTTLE branch of the cable... THANK YOU! That didn't even dawn on me, and there is a very high likelihood that this isn't going to be right on my bike. I'll dig back into it tonight to double check it. It seems so obvious in hindsight, but I guess that's true of many things in life. Thanks for elaborating on some more of those "gotchas".

DT250 Autolube tutorial 17 Dec 2018 12:12 #6

• Luke
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Great video! My pump is still in the pile of parts, not yet touched, so this is great prep for future adjustment. Seeing some trial and error is good as well, rather than the 2 minute video with "adjust to factory specs and BAM you're done!"

DT250 Autolube tutorial 20 Dec 2018 09:00 #7

• AirborneSilva
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Great video and thank you for making it! I was left scratching my head trying to figure out what in the world they written explanation was trying to tell me, this video made it very clear. I now am confident that I can check my autolube for proper adjustment and if needed make the necessary changes. Thanks again!

DT250 Autolube tutorial 20 Dec 2018 13:55 #8

• Iwride
Thank you for the video on the autolube pump. The written directions I have seen were very unclear. This has helped a lot.
Also available are small syringes such as 1 milliliter or 3 milliliter to accurately measure the low out put amounts of oil.

DT250 Autolube tutorial 22 Dec 2018 06:20 #9

• RWag
very helpful! Thanks!

DT250 Autolube tutorial 31 Mar 2019 18:25 #10

• Scottddove
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Is the specs for each bike in the tech library? Specifically the oil amounts that you should be getting at idle and wide open throttle at 200 strokes?
I’d like to check my bikes.
71 CT1
71 RT1
71 DT1
72 JT1
73 LT1
73 CT3
I need some piece of mind.

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart