facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked?

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 05 Dec 2018 19:43 #1

• Zozr
  • Zozr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
For a 74 Dt360, or really anything with a similar engine. I have a paper service manual which does the job well enough, but I always enjoy bigger better pictures to make some things more clear, among other reasons.

Does anyone have a resource like this that they know of, where the pictures are not dead links? (A big problem I run into looking for old threads!)

If so it would be really appreciated if you could link me to it. I'm used to my newer bikes with a lot easier to find places where people document engine rebuilding steps and tips.

Thanks folks

Obligatory pic of bike...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 06 Dec 2018 13:00 #2

• TerryM
  • Collector
  • Collector
Not a bad looking DT360A, other than the wires hanging out all over the place. Looks like it has a later model front wheel with the conical hub and the brake cable routed in front of the fork tube, along with that lovely looking fork brace. My DT360 has the symmetrical hub with the brake cable routed behind the fork tube.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Zozr

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 06 Dec 2018 13:38 #3

• Zozr
  • Novice
  • Novice

TerryM wrote: Not a bad looking DT360A, other than the wires hanging out all over the place. Looks like it has a later model front wheel with the conical hub and the brake cable routed in front of the fork tube, along with that lovely looking fork brace. My DT360 has the symmetrical hub with the brake cable routed behind the fork tube.

Thanks a lot. It is in pretty nice condition overall. Minimal rust.

The bike has no spark right now. The wires were all wrapped and tucked away until about a month ago, I had to undo miles of electrical tape because it's a bit of a mess, so I could see the colours of them. I'm in the process of tracing it all and making sure its wired properly. I set the tank back on for a picture.

I have a second set of wheels that I believe are the originals.

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 06 Dec 2018 14:51 #4

• run103
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Bike looks good until you remove the mag cover and look behind the flywheel. Probably a damaged pulser coil. It must have hot or cold 90 ohms plus or minus 10 %. Its amazes me how the magnesium cover dissolves on the inside and then the particles trash the pulser coil.
Doug
The following user(s) Liked this Post: mdscott, Zozr

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 06 Dec 2018 17:36 #5

• Zozr
  • Novice
  • Novice

run103 wrote: Bike looks good until you remove the mag cover and look behind the flywheel. Probably a damaged pulser coil. It must have hot or cold 90 ohms plus or minus 10 %. Its amazes me how the magnesium cover dissolves on the inside and then the particles trash the pulser coil.
Doug

Just did that tonight in fact, my puller finally came from eBay. Not sure what I’m looking at yet as I need to read more but here it is.

It’s certainly dirty in there. Lots of corrosion and general grime. I don't expect anything in there to be working.

Also the three screws holding the plate on are butter and already pretty stripped. No luck with those. I think I will try just using vice grips and turning them that way. Soaking in penetrating fluid right now.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by Zozr.

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 06 Dec 2018 23:48 #6

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Zozr wrote:

TerryM wrote: Not a bad looking DT360A, other than the wires hanging out all over the place. Looks like it has a later model front wheel with the conical hub and the brake cable routed in front of the fork tube, along with that lovely looking fork brace. My DT360 has the symmetrical hub with the brake cable routed behind the fork tube.

Thanks a lot. It is in pretty nice condition overall. Minimal rust.

The bike has no spark right now. The wires were all wrapped and tucked away until about a month ago, I had to undo miles of electrical tape because it's a bit of a mess, so I could see the colours of them. I'm in the process of tracing it all and making sure its wired properly. I set the tank back on for a picture.

I have a second set of wheels that I believe are the originals.

Just some random thoughts here:-

1) If your budget stretches to it, you could simply buy a new wiring loom/harness. There is a company here in the UK that sells them (Yuniworld) or (and I don't want to put words into his mouth!!) I think that form member/Moderator DEET makes them.
2) Before deciding on your wiring solution, decide what you are going to do with the ignition system. Are you going to stick with the CDI as originally fitted to the bike (either original or aftermarket) or might you replace the CDI with the points system that was fitted to the DT250A (as a number of owners have done)? No point buying a new 360 harness if you then have to chop it to take the wiring for points!
3) Interesting comment on the front wheel. I have read somewhere on the forum that it can be quite tricky to fit the fork brace with the original cable guide still in place. I will need to investigate further as I have a brace of my own that I want to fit.

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 07 Dec 2018 00:15 #7

• Zozr
  • Novice
  • Novice

1) If your budget stretches to it, you could simply buy a new wiring loom/harness. There is a company here in the UK that sells them (Yuniworld) or (and I don't want to put words into his mouth!!) I think that form member/Moderator DEET makes them.
2) Before deciding on your wiring solution, decide what you are going to do with the ignition system. Are you going to stick with the CDI as originally fitted to the bike (either original or aftermarket) or might you replace the CDI with the points system that was fitted to the DT250A (as a number of owners have done)? No point buying a new 360 harness if you then have to chop it to take the wiring for points!
3) Interesting comment on the front wheel. I have read somewhere on the forum that it can be quite tricky to fit the fork brace with the original cable guide still in place. I will need to investigate further as I have a brace of my own that I want to fit.

Thanks for the heads up those wiring harness' exist. I am not at that point of going for a whole new one, but I'm glad to know its out there. Looks like about $120CAD from Yuniworld on ebay.

I probably will not be going to points (at least I don't imagine I will) I've had a points bike before and I don't wish to go back to that, I really like the CDI system, when it works. :) I don't know whether to take the jump into a power dynamo-like aftermarket ignition system or not. It's not exactly cheap at about half of what I paid for the bike! Still early stages of diagnosing the bike, just tinkering around for a little while each day. If I decide its the best option I will be going with the new cdi ignition kit over points. Unless the points kit is super cheap or something then its a different story haha. I know you need a different flywheel and stuff so I wasn't sure how plentiful/affordable those parts are. Or what other modifications need to be done to the bike to convert to points. Haven't looked into that much.

I am not sure what you mean about the cable routing with the fork brace. Was the previous post calling the fork brace "lovely" pointing fun at it being hideous or a genuine remark? :) Was not sure if people actually like those!

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 07 Dec 2018 00:30 #8

• Rick C.
  • Open Class
  • Open Class

Zozr wrote:

run103 wrote:
Also the three screws holding the plate on are butter and already pretty stripped. No luck with those. I think I will try just using vice grips and turning them that way. Soaking in penetrating fluid right now.

If they are really bad, Head on down to Harbor Freight and get a set of, " Left Handed Drill Bits. " That will get those stripped head screws out.

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 07 Dec 2018 00:39 #9

• Zozr
  • Novice
  • Novice

Rick C. wrote:

Zozr wrote:

run103 wrote:

If they are really bad, Head on down to Harbor Freight and get a set of, " Left Handed Drill Bits. " That will get those stripped head screws out.

Does it need to be left handed in particular? What benefit does this have vs drilling them out with a regular bit?

No HF here but I'm sure I could find them cheap somewhere.

Edit: Found a video on youtube. Makes total sense knowing the theory, instead of tightening the screw more it's working the stuck screw the proper direction. :) Did not realize the bit it's self bites and turns the screw. I thought it was a multi step process like with an easy out type of system. The left handed bit seems much simpler.

Very clever. Thanks, learning a lot here.

The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C.

Does anyone have any good engine rebuild resources bookmarked? 07 Dec 2018 00:42 #10

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

Zozr wrote:

Thanks for the heads up those wiring harness' exist. I am not at that point of going for a whole new one, but I'm glad to know its out there. Looks like about $120CAD from Yuniworld on ebay.

I probably will not be going to points (at least I don't imagine I will) I've had a points bike before and I don't wish to go back to that, I really like the CDI system, when it works. :) I don't know whether to take the jump into a power dynamo-like aftermarket ignition system or not. It's not exactly cheap at about half of what I paid for the bike! Still early stages of diagnosing the bike, just tinkering around for a little while each day. If I decide its the best option I will be going with the new cdi ignition kit over points. Unless the points kit is super cheap or something then its a different story haha. I know you need a different flywheel and stuff so I wasn't sure how plentiful/affordable those parts are. Or what other modifications need to be done to the bike to convert to points. Haven't looked into that much.

I am not sure what you mean about the cable routing with the fork brace. Was the previous post calling the fork brace "lovely" pointing fun at it being hideous or a genuine remark? :) Was not sure if people actually like those!

No, no pointing fun occurring - they are nice and people do like them. However, on the left fork, they share the same mounting points as the original (and quite large) guide for the speedo and brake cables - have a peek at any old photos to see what I'm rambling on about!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Rick C., Zozr

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart