facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries.

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 06 Aug 2018 13:33 #1

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Right my lovelies, as I haven't raised any of my daft questions for a while, I thought that I'd raise two at the same time!

1) My DT360 came with new RFY 'piggy back' rear shocks already fitted. They have been fitted with what I assume is the reservoir at the top (ie the opposite to Yamaha originals). However, fitted this way, said reservoir fouls the tail pipe when I try to fit it. Has anyone else had this problem, can I just fit the shocks the other way round? I would post photos, but I don't have a camera and my photographer (ie 'er indoors) is currently in Scotland, having just been daft enough to run in some 42 mile race!

2) I suspect that at some time the original ignition switch was broken and a previous owner has purchased a second hand replacement. However, the replacement is fitted with a 4 pin block connector, whereas the block connector on the main loom is of the spade type. I assume that the spade type is the correct fitment and I should be able to change my block from pin to spade without too much hassle (famous last words!). What is causing me a little confusion is that second hand ignition switches with both fitment types are being advertised on that well known auction site as being suitable for the DT360. Does anyone know which model the pin type connector was used on, or did Yamaha chop and change the fitment for the DT360?

As always, thanks for all of your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 07 Aug 2018 03:30 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Hi, just looking at a pic of a dismantled one of 'that' brand & type' & looks to have a bladder so therefore you could run it on any angle you like. To prove a point you could remove the spring & feel the damping inverted & upright but with a bladder it'll be ok unless it's leaked oil out. The old 'gas girling' gas/oil shocks which arrived along with the suspension revolution in the "70's 'had' to be run inverted as the gas was in with the oil but the difference is so obvious in operation you'd soon know if t was wrong--but weren't rebuildable anyway.
Not sure on the switch sorry but is yours "74 as in DT360A not the older RT3 up to "73 like i'm used to. Cheers. ps, man your wife must be super fit. Hope she did well. Doubt i could bike that far lol--well, not in one day.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal

Last Edit: by RT325.

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 07 Aug 2018 03:58 #3

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Many thanks RT325.

I shall have to remove the rear wheel shortly and so I might 'switch' the shocks round at the same time (I find this task easier with the wheel out). If it wasn't for the RFY lettering being the right way up with the shocks as currently fitted, I would swear they are upside down!

Re the switch, bike is definitely DT360. I have managed to obtain a block which holds the 4 female spade connectors and I am now just awaiting delivery of the connectors themselves. Once received, I can just cut the wires from the old pin block and fit the female spade connectors. Wire colours match exactly.

Matters aren't helped, I feel, by some sellers advertising parts as fitting bikes that they clearly do not!

I keep telling the missus that man didn't learn to ride horses, invent the wheel, combustion engine etc just to carry on running (for pleasure?!). Thanks for your supportive comments anyway. As it happens, the bike is for her and so when it is eventually finished, perhaps I can persuade her to ride it instead of running!

All the best.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Hammer, Snglsmkr

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 08 Aug 2018 12:09 #4

• meadeam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I'm thinking in the interest of time and money I may order up a pair of RFY shocks for my '74 DT360. I was curious myself if they would fit, given that it looks like they want to be mounted with the reservoir on top. The '74 pipe is different; perhaps the shocks will work better on mine? I'm looking for photos and info if anybody comes across anything useful.

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 09 Aug 2018 13:29 #5

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Thanks for your post meadeam.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I think that there is only one model of the DT360 (1974, DT360A) and therefore our bikes should have the same exhaust systems.

Since my original post, I have noticed that the tail pipe also fouls against the rear tyre (standard size). Basically the reservoir/bladder forces the tail pipe in towards the rear wheel.

As suggested by RT325 in his reply, I shall try re-fitting them with the reservoir/bladder at the bottom. This is likely to be next week when I shall have the rear wheel off to fit new brake shoes. I'll put up a new post letting you know how I get on.

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 09 Aug 2018 14:17 #6

• darinm
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Meadeam, RFY shocks on a '72 DT2, obviously different exhaust but at least you can see them on the bike.

Mounted upside down/right side up depending on which era one is from, on a 72 CT2. Reservoir is the same on both sizes of shocks so I was worried about it rubbing on the CT2. They work better than the old stock shocks both these bikes had, but killed one on the CT2 in about 1k miles.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: meadeam

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 09 Aug 2018 14:39 #7

• darinm
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Went out to the garage and snapped these so these so you could better idea of their size/clearance on a 250 frame.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: meadeam

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 09 Aug 2018 18:52 #8

• meadeam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

Gr8uncleal wrote: Thanks for your post meadeam.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I think that there is only one model of the DT360 (1974, DT360A) and therefore our bikes should have the same exhaust systems.

I believe you are correct. I must have been thinking you had an RT3.

I ended up going with Progressive Series 12 shocks. A bit more money, but hopefully they will work nicely and have no fit issues.

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 09 Aug 2018 20:47 #9

• darinm
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Probably last a lot longer too.

DT360 rear shocks and ignition switch queries. 10 Aug 2018 00:06 #10

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Thanks darinm. So what you are saying is that, even if I don't change the RFY shocks now, I may end up doing so a few months down the line anyway......??!!

All the best.

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart