facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

New Accounts require admin approval

Due to a recent unauthorized access to the site, New accounts will need admin activation. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Register for an account, and an admin will review and approve your account in short order. our user security is our prime concern so this extra hurdle is necessary for a short while. Thanks for your patience. Mako

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trying to revive 74 dt360a

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 16 Apr 2018 22:36 #1

• orangechicken007
  • orangechicken007's Avatar Topic Author
Hi all, been lurking here for about a couple of weeks. Last week went to look at a facebook listing for what i thought was a dt250 and low and behold it was a 74 360a! also got pieces of 4 other bikes that came with it. well worth the 100 dollars. my long term goal is to get is to back running and street legal. It is pretty complete, it is missing the rear running lights, turn signals, oil tank (looks like the oil pump was disconnected awhile ago, like to get that back so I don't have to run pre mix) one sparkplug wire and the flywheel cover. the tank is in great shape and should clean up nicely outside and inside. The carb will obviously have to be gone though and I pulled the flywheel and the points and coils are filthy, also I may need a new flywheel/magneto since one of the magnets is broken. is it possible to replace the one magnet or will I need to replace the entire assembly. The points/coil magneto assembly is all new to me. any help with this particular bike I would gladly appreciate. Will post pictures soon thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 17 Apr 2018 02:39 #2

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
Post up some pics - the DT360A SHOULD be a CDI ignition, so your stator should NOT have any points in it. If it does, the ignition may have been replaced with the setup from a DT250.

You can download the service manual from out tech library:

yamaha-enduros.com/index.php/workshop/se...ctory-service-manual

Welcome! To the site!

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 17 Apr 2018 13:18 #3

• TerryM
  • Collector
  • Collector

orangechicken007 wrote: ... It is pretty complete, it is missing ... one sparkplug wire and the flywheel cover...

The DT360A only had one spark plug wire. The head had two plug holes in it, with one originally being blocked off with a bolt. Most people removed the block-off bolt and replaced it with a spare plug so they could simply move the plug wire over to the spare plug when they fouled the first one. Others replaced the block-off bolt with a decompression valve that operates on the same principle as the 18-wheeler Jake brake to slow/stop the bike without assistance of the brakes.

If you have two plugs in the head, then one is a spare and is not connected to anything.

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 17 Apr 2018 20:42 #4

• orangechicken007
Hey thanks for all the responses guys. Good to know about the spark plug wire that was really confusing me lol!!! Here are a few pictures. There are no points but that took a minute to figure out because it was so dirty, can these be cleaned or are they to far gone?

TerryM wrote:

orangechicken007 wrote: ... It is pretty complete, it is missing ... one sparkplug wire and the flywheel cover...

The DT360A only had one spark plug wire. The head had two plug holes in it, with one originally being blocked off with a bolt. Most people removed the block-off bolt and replaced it with a spare plug so they could simply move the plug wire over to the spare plug when they fouled the first one. Others replaced the block-off bolt with a decompression valve that operates on the same principle as the 18-wheeler Jake brake to slow/stop the bike without assistance of the brakes.

If you have two plugs in the head, then one is a spare and is not connected to anything.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Vapidbruiser

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 18 Apr 2018 11:43 #5

• run103
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
YIKES I have seen some projects in my enduro experience and this is going to be a big one. You need a new flywheel and the pulser looks to be broken also. Take pics as you go as I am curious how this one goes
Doug

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 18 Apr 2018 14:50 #6

• orangechicken007

YIKES I have seen some projects in my enduro experience and this is going to be a big one. You need a new flywheel and the pulser looks to be broken also

Since I am going to have to replace parts anyway im thinking about upgrading to 12v. If I am going to have to spend money on parts I think it would make since to start upgrading it now and not later. What do you guys think? many people do that around here?

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 18 Apr 2018 15:26 #7

• run103
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
That looks like a new charge coil and new pulser or actually a complete different stator and flywheel and also the crank has a gouge in it. Look for a complete motor on ebay. Sometimes you can get them with electrics. I have done a dozen of these and the stock stuff works good as long as you keep the stator area clean. The pulser is easily damaged by water and misc parts of the inside of the magnesium cover coming loose. Cleaned up and sealed up they haven't failed me yet. One thing I also did was installed 6 volt regulators an all of them which has nothing to do with the ignition but fixes the lighting. While your on e blank look for a rear fender and seat pan by the look also. This looks like a 50 to 100 hour project to me
Doug

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 18 Apr 2018 19:30 #8

• Makotosun
  • Site Administrator
  • Site Administrator
  • Admin is in the House!
After seeing the pics, it appears to be an ignition from a 77-78 DT400. Actually that is good. It was a refinement from the 74-76 and uses a different (more reliable) pulsar. That being said, yours looks to have been tampered with a bit. Might be a job for DEET.

Those ignitions tend to be less expensive on eBay than the earlier ones. They use a different CDI box as well.

Check out pricing on a Powerdynamo as it will include a brand new flywheel, stator, coil and regulator. It may run about the same as all the parts you will need. And it will give you 12 volt lighting! The only tricky part is the battery as finding a battery that fits in the stock spot is difficult.

No Good Story ever started with a Salad . . .
Last Edit: by Makotosun.

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 19 Apr 2018 04:11 #9

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
Gosh, you have a bit of work to do there, but you say you got pieces of 4 other bikes with it which is good. Is there any mag bits with it because it'd be good to get it fired up & then sit back & have a think, then make a list of the costly stuff & see how it adds up. I had one the same color a lifetime ago to ride to work, was good too.

Trying to revive 74 dt360a 19 Apr 2018 15:31 #10

• JayB
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Sweet exhaust expansion chamber. Anyone know anything about that?
Jay

Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart