facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '75 dt400 shocks

'75 dt400 shocks 10 Jul 2019 06:58 #1

• fossilrider
  • fossilrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
Hey guys, Steve here. I am getting close to wrapping up my DT400 redo and am trying to decide what to do about the rear shocks. I have the oem units and would like to rebuild them, if the repair parts are still available.? I realize most shocks from this era are "OK" at best and some have been described as wretched! I will not be riding the bike a whole lot, since it is one of a garage full, and will ride it very little, if at all, off road. That said, I don't need a great performing suspension set-up. The oem units just look "right" on the bike and I would prefer to use them. So, if anyone has info as to rebuild parts, please let me know. Thanks, Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'75 dt400 shocks 14 Jul 2019 06:04 #2

• Don Dieago
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Makotosun, WAsage

'75 dt400 shocks 24 Jul 2019 08:47 #3

• DT400BYam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I’m in same situation there’s a lot of similar looking shocks on eBay and even though they are cheep they’ll work a lot better than our 45year old shocks ,there so cheep I may give a set a go just to do a test. I have a Elsinore mt250 the shocks are renowned for being bad so I’ll fit a set on that bike set them up and do a bit of a write up ,My original shocks looked horrible still full of Colorado sand but took them apart and they damped perfectly dipped springs and abusers in acid for a short time to get rid of the rust and refinished cooling fins
I love those. They seem to work like new and look like new, I’ll post a few picks .
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB

Last Edit: by DT400BYam. Reason: Wanted to a picture of shocks on the bike

'75 dt400 shocks 28 Jul 2019 20:20 #4

• Don Dieago
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
I rebuilt mine too was pretty easy. The way you polished the reservoir fins looks good

'75 dt400 shocks 29 Jul 2019 18:29 #5

• DT400BYam
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Cheers I thought if I polished the reservoir fins they’d match the head and they do
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: JayB

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart