facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT360A conversion to points

DT360A conversion to points 08 Jul 2019 03:43 #1

• Gr8uncleal
  • Gr8uncleal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
My DT360A came with a points conversion. However, I didn't realise this at first and thought that someone had just been arsing around with the wiring. I actually ended up spending a small fortune on all the parts needed to convert it back to CDI.

Given that I am not absolutely sure that the pulser works, I am contemplating sticking with the points.

I have a new reproduction DT360A harness/loom fitted (from Yuniparts/Yuniworld before they packed in) - photographs of this and the wires from the points/magneto are attached.

My question is this, if I put a black wire into the vacant hole in the male block connector shown and connect this to ground on the frame, fit the wires from the magneto loom into a new female block connector and connect the two block connectors, is that the correct way to ensure that lights, ignition, charging etc will function as they should?

Many thanks.

Alan

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Gr8uncleal. Reason: more text

DT360A conversion to points 08 Jul 2019 06:22 #2

• RT325
  • Collector
  • Collector
I can't think straight at the mo--tired. But bottom line with points is the black from the mag in a points mag needs to find its way to the main coil. I dunno, but if the magneto black went to the coil, then from that a black/white from the main switch was attached to the coil also to kill it through the switch to the black [earth black from switch], also with the kill switch if it's a two wire type where sliding the switch or pushing the button will join black/white [which is coming from coil] to black earth. Better stop there as not really answering your question!!. I gather you're wanting to use a CDI loom for a magneto system. Lighting charging side is probably the same on both. CDI would have had a Brown from source coil plus Red/white & a Green/White from the double trigger coil. Bit of guessing there from a lifetime ago. Someone will be along with better info soon.

DT360A conversion to points 08 Jul 2019 06:39 #3

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Yes, you can add black to wire block. That's where it would be on a 250 with points. As RT325 said Black (Black/white) from points goes directly to ignition coil, not to ground.

The key and kill button (if fitted) tee into the black from the points and ground it to kill the spark with switches off,

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

DT360A conversion to points 08 Jul 2019 07:32 #4

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Thanks chaps.

I think that I'm halfway there!

The black from the points doesn't, via the 4 pin block, go to earth then, as I first suggested.

The black from the coil picks up another black coming out of the harness right next to it (see attached photo). I therefore need to try and find where/what the black from the points connects to in the harness.

There is an older style 3 pin plug, containing 2 black and 1 black/white wires, and this would ordinarily connect to the corresponding plug coming from the cdi unit, which has 1 black, 1 orange and 1 black/white wires coming from it. Photos are attached. Should my black points wire connect with one of these, and what happens with the other 2?

I have read that the conversion to points was common practice so hopefully it shouldn't be beyond me.

Thanks again.
Attachments:

DT360A conversion to points 08 Jul 2019 18:31 #5

• johninga
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Gr8uncleal, I would be interested to know if your DT360A was ever in Georgia. I once owned one and the CDI unit went out. I was a POOR student and did not have the $ to replace the unit. I converted it to a points system where I fit what I remember to be a magneto system from a DT3 or RT3 (as best I remember). If you don't mind, could you post a photo of the flywheel? I had to do a little rough (ugly) machining to the flywheel to get it to fit into the case. It would be interesting to know if this DT360A is still out there. BTW, my DT360A serial number was 446-019216.

DT360A conversion to points 08 Jul 2019 22:21 #6

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Looking at the wiring diagram, there should be an existing black that goes from the stator area of the CDI harness to the CDI box area... There is also another black at the CDI box area that goes to the ignition coil. Finally, there is a black/white at the CDI box area that connects to the kill switches.

If you connect your points wire from stator to the black that goes to the CDI box area and at the CDI box connected that black to the black that goes to the ignition coil and also to the black/white at the CDI box connectors, the ignition should work fine.

Who's on first? :ROFLOL

Seriously, hope that all makes sense.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

DT360A conversion to points 08 Jul 2019 23:46 #7

• Gr8uncleal
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor

johninga wrote: Gr8uncleal, I would be interested to know if your DT360A was ever in Georgia. I once owned one and the CDI unit went out. I was a POOR student and did not have the $ to replace the unit. I converted it to a points system where I fit what I remember to be a magneto system from a DT3 or RT3 (as best I remember). If you don't mind, could you post a photo of the flywheel? I had to do a little rough (ugly) machining to the flywheel to get it to fit into the case. It would be interesting to know if this DT360A is still out there. BTW, my DT360A serial number was 446-019216.

John

Thanks for your post.

My number is 007337. If anyone on the forum used to own it and was wondering where it ended up, it's near Salisbury in the UK!

DT360A conversion to points 09 Jul 2019 15:51 #8

• johninga
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Thanks, Gr8uncleal for the update. After my post last night, I dug thru some old documents and found the name of the buyer of my DT360A. I am going to try to locate him to see if it is possible he knows what happened to it.
It would be cool if someone could give you some history on your DT360A.
It might be a good idea if there was a place to post s/n's of bikes and see if others my have it.

DT360A conversion to points 14 Jul 2019 06:09 #9

• Don Dieago
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman

johninga wrote: Thanks, Gr8uncleal for the update. After my post last night, I dug thru some old documents and found the name of the buyer of my DT360A. I am going to try to locate him to see if it is possible he knows what happened to it.
It would be cool if someone could give you some history on your DT360A.
It might be a good idea if there was a place to post s/n's of bikes and see if others my have it.

That would be a shot in the Dark Tons of people converted to points. I have bought 2 complete 250's only thing they were all missing flywheel and stator. Guess where they went

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart