facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carburetor cleaning guide for 1974 DT175?

Carburetor cleaning guide for 1974 DT175? 03 Jul 2019 14:06 #1

• chhst30
  • chhst30's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
Hello, I am wondering if any one has a definitive carb cleaning guide for a 1974 DT175? I am pulling bits and pieces of understanding from the many posts regarding carb issues on the forums here, but want to tear into my bike with a full walk through guide as backup (never had the heart out of the machine and in my hand before).

Does anyone have a guide or can link me to one that that have used? Any and all advice and cautionary tales welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carburetor cleaning guide for 1974 DT175? 03 Jul 2019 16:23 #2

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
I have recently rebuilt a 74 174 carb. I used my 8 or 9 previous tear downs and rebuilds as a guide. I can answer, maybe even with pictures, any misgivings you have. I suggest you just take a lot of digital pictures in the beginning, as you are tearing down, and then when you are stuck, refer to your pictures. Yamaha and Partzilla as well as some of the other sites and manuals have good exploded diagrams as well, and I would suggest you order as many parts as you can in advance. Then start the job. My first one was spread out over two weeks, as I ordered parts after I opened the chest cavity, and the order was delayed two weeks awaiting some lousy little part. I forgot where things went in the meantime. Get the parts, and when you are ready, get back in this thread, and I'll be watching your work. You'll be fine.
Did I mention I spent 28 years as a teacher?
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT, 2fishkev, chhst30

Carburetor cleaning guide for 1974 DT175? 10 Jul 2019 13:42 #3

• chhst30
  • chhst30's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
Due to the forums here and much YouTube research, it was a quick teardown and remount. Carb was pretty clean, blew out needles and ports; no significant wear. Played with idle set screw after remount and got to where I wanted to go after running in and backing out 3 turns. Thank you all!
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Gr8uncleal

Carburetor cleaning guide for 1974 DT175? 10 Jul 2019 15:45 #4

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
Good news. Usually a snap. Were the jets in it Mikuni jets? Small overlapping boxes logo? And if it had one, how was the condition of the small black rubber O-ring on the jet setter, the needle jet, where it goes into the float bowl?

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart