facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT175B - USA to Scotland

DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 06:54 #1

• Yammiedodger
  • Yammiedodger's Avatar Topic Author
Hi all, loving this site and reading through the great content.

So... sat around bored and randomly surfing my phone this April, I came across a bike remembered from teenage years and somehow the iconic image therein on the tank decals stuck in my mind and compelled me to bid on a bike I'd never seen up close but "looked tidy", ha ,ha. That's when it all started.

All looked fine enough and the sellers description said "has a few parts missing - mirrors, indicators, chain guard & one of the headlight bolts! Maybe a flat battery" . Sounds like its almost ready to ride. So two weeks later and approx. £2k spent the bike is delivered and initially all looks okay - a bit smaller than I remembered but otherwise ready.

Only then, when you start cleaning and checking comes the realisation of what's needed! Thoughts of my last resto, a (KZ900-A4) in 1995 came flooding back. This is gonna be expensive and a whole lotta time.

I crack on and start pulling things apart - the intention being to tidy up and clean only, ready for a summer action & ride-to-work. Make a list list of defects: Rusting and dented fuel tank; Petcock riser pipes/mesh screen dissolved; Fuel and breather lines perished; carb completely gummed up; air filter disintegrated; wiring missing & botched up - all bulbs blown. Sprockets and chain goosed, Flat tyre on rear, both tyres perished. Aftermarket front mudguard, both mudguards drilled randomly for mudflaps. countless perished rubber dampers non original fasteners etc. Missing luggage rack (where do the indicators go?? Questions of how should it all go together what goes where. Oh and that sticky red mud all over the hard to reach bits. No amount of pressure washing chemicals etc. shift it. All that works is a wooden scraper - I wonder whereabouts the bike was ridden back in the US?

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I've spent the last couple of months tracking down all the parts needed to complete the bike. Rack, chainguard instrument dampers and other stuff from the US. Side cover from Thailand, multiple OEM parts from CMSL in the Netherlands, tyres from France and the rest from the UK. With a couple of exceptions (battery band and unobtainable special bolts), its all together.

Along the way the temptation to restore has been kept at bay (for now) albeit the wheels, swinging arm and thermal flow shocks got disassembled and a cosmetic make over with rattle can paint.

All this effort paid off last week when fuelled up she ran on the 4th kick with no real engine work, just a few checks to the levels & Autolube. The bike rides well enough and when I swap the front tyre for a new Heidenau that's everything sorted. Now registered as a classic UK bike there's no annual test or road licence fee. I now have a very sound commute bike and a solid base for a wither resto. when the time comes.

Attached photos show the progress - enjoy
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Mothersbaugh, RT325, JayB, darinm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Yammiedodger. Reason: More Photo's

DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 07:06 #2

• Yammiedodger
More photos
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Super90

DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 07:10 #3

• Yammiedodger
More Photos 2
Attachments:

DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 07:23 #4

• MarkT
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
Congratulations! Very nice work. :OnFire
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Yammiedodger

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250

DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 08:02 #5

• Mothersbaugh
  • Collector
  • Collector
Excellent! You have now joined the ranks of fellow Enduroholics!

DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 08:10 #6

• Devin
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Supporting Moderator
  • Cell 805-914-8299
Welcome!

That is a great looking bike.

Re:DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 09:29 #7

• Yammiedodger

Devin wrote: Welcome!

That is a great looking bike.

Cheers Devin, love the USA model, short seat, rack & thermal shocks. These bikes are just art. Making one of these DT’s nowadays with the same manufacturing processes would be so expensive, they couldn’t justify the price tag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 17:48 #8

• KJB
  • Open Class
  • Open Class
Congratulations on "just getting in and doing it.... " Great project -purchase , import, restore , use... Ended up as a good bike. Very "user friendly " bike - I had a new one for work in the mid seventies.

KB ( Australia)
'69 Yamaha DT1 S
'71 Yamaha DT1 .................................. '70 Suzuki T350
'72 Yamaha AT3 . ................................... '73 Suzuki T500
'86 Yamaha DT175 ..................................'68 Fuji Rabbit Hi Super 90
'06 Yamaha PW50

DT175B - USA to Scotland 29 Jun 2019 19:02 #9

• Midlife Motor
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Way to go! Nice job getting her going again.

It's better to remain silent and be considered a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
  • Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart