facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Interesting Issue with no spark DT360

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 14 Jun 2019 17:32 #1

• RussellPeterson
  • RussellPeterson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice
  • Novice
Hey everyone! So since I got my bike running I have done some cosmetic work and in that time somehow the spark has left it. There are a couple of things that may have caused problems but I can't seem to nail down the exact issue. So since it last had spark, it rained a little and since the bike was outside it seems that some things got wet.

Firstly the ignition coil got a little wet since the tank was not on, so I tested the resistance on it and it looked like it was bad, so I replaced it. Also unfortunately water found its way into the magneto cover (I have a points system). So I drained the water, aired it out and made sure everything was dry. Upon testing the voltage coming out of the magneto I was getting around 2.5 - 3 volts which I believe is normal.

Now hooking up the magneto back to the ignition coil there is still no spark. Seeing this I tried replacing the spark plug and even the plug cap but still no spark. I am very confused but there must be something that I am missing, any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 14 Jun 2019 19:51 #2

• Wheel mad
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
The moisture may have left a film of corrosion on the points contacts.
Run a bit of fine sandpaper between them and then a clean cloth.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: asco

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 19 Jun 2019 15:32 #3

• RussellPeterson
  • Novice
  • Novice
Tried cleaning the points but no luck. I suppose that it's possible that both of the ignition coils that I had lying around are bad. Maybe a new one might bring some luck.

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 19 Jun 2019 16:20 #4

• Pillsbury
  • Site Contributor
  • Site Contributor
If you have an VOM meter they are not to difficult to check. Here are some basics.
www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-test...il-by-eduardo-ruelas

1970 DT1-C Grand Prix race bike
1970 DT1-C Street tracker
1968 Honda CL90
1971 Honda Sl 125
1973 Honda CR250
1974 Honda MR-50
1966 Triumph Tiger Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V700
1970 Suzuki TC90
1947 Mustang
Last Edit: by Pillsbury.

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 24 Jun 2019 16:02 #5

• RussellPeterson
  • Novice
  • Novice
So after checking again, I realized I was reading the volt meter wrong :/ whoops. I'm not getting 2.5 volts from the points but instead it is 0.25 volts. I was avoiding buying a flywheel puller for as long as I could but it looks like it is finally time for one. Any ideas of what to look at once I pull it?

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 24 Jun 2019 18:17 #6

• DaveHunter
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
Russell from what you’ve described / left out in the rain and the points perhaps getting wet or at least being exposed to moisture,,,,& realize that you cleaned them ... but you may want to go back make sure the points are making a good electrical contact ( zero ohms ) when closed.
Only saying this as most other electrical components like coils / condensers relays etc are sealed in epoxy or have tin covers to shed water.

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 24 Jun 2019 18:48 #7

• apex
  • Content Contributor
  • Content Contributor

DaveHunter wrote: Russell from what you’ve described / left out in the rain and the points perhaps getting wet or at least being exposed to moisture,,,,& realize that you cleaned them ... but you may want to go back make sure the points are making a good electrical contact ( zero ohms ) when closed.
Only saying this as most other electrical components like coils / condensers relays etc are sealed in epoxy or have tin covers to shed water.

+1 on DaveHunter's comment. The contacts must be exceptionally clean as even a slight amount of film will prevent grounding the circuit when the points close. Also, you don't mention the wire you're testing voltage on, which I assume is the wire leading from the stator to the coil? That wire must be tested using the ACV setting, as the voltage generated by the mag is alternating current, while kicking it over at the speed you would kick with your foot (not by hand, spark plug out). This isn't an easy task by yourself, a helper makes it easier.

The ignition coils on these bikes are stout, rarely fail. Most ignition issues can be traced to dirty point contacts, missing/sheared rotor keys, or bad connections. I would put my critical eye on the point contacts, clean them very thorough using a points file, or worst case sandpaper/brake cleaner/compressed air. Make sure all connections are rock solid.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Devin, MarkT

Allrighty Then

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 25 Jun 2019 17:59 #8

• RussellPeterson
  • Novice
  • Novice
So I've really gone to work on the points, used a points file, tried a little bit of light sanding and then cleaned them with some business cards in between and blew them out with a compressor. Still no spark :/ I have noticed however that the parts of the coils in the magneto that brush past the magnets (not sure what they are called) are pretty rusty from the water. I tried sanding them a bit with the flywheel still on which got a little rust off of it, but they are still pretty bad. I will probably have to pull the flywheel to clean them off properly. Could this be the source of the problem?

Interesting Issue with no spark DT360 25 Jun 2019 22:44 #9

• liferbiker
  • Collector
  • Collector
Not really, the magnetic field would still be produced, you need to buy a puller, 8bucks! com'on! I would see if points actually opening as seen through slot, its possible rotor (flywheel) broke key and point opening off from source coil energizing

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart