facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram google plus linkedin1 pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: After market headlight wiring question

After market headlight wiring question 04 Mar 2019 02:35 #1

• Theo
  • Theo's Avatar Topic Author
greetings to all ,Im a new member to this forum but reasonably familiar with Yamaha ,s as own an Rd 250.
My issue is I have a 1981 DT 175 and purchased a new combined headlight/turn/horn switch that looked the same externally but the wiring differs.
After a lot of searching I found the correct circuit for wiring for the bike but of course does not match up with the switch.
The switch differs in that the light is powered by yellow /white as earlier models but is not bridged inside the switch with the yellow as was my original and also has a green /white and green / red common with the white wire depending which position the switch is .
The wiring circuit however shows all colours going to each and no mention of the green/white or Green /red.
I could strap the yellow power from magneto with the yellow white inside the light as earlier models show strapped inside loom .
Just a bit confused .
my bike has the 2 white wires from the rectifier and single yellow /white to the regulator.
Just dont want to damage any components as happened to another bike I have,a Honda 750 chopper when an eth wire broke ruining its regulator,and boiling a battery from over charging.
I,m sure those 2 wires serve some purpose .
My old plug had 5 wires in it,s 6 pin plug where as this new switch had 6 and strangely yellow did not mate with yellow in the pins.
Another thing about the Ozzie model is piston heights differ by 1mm as I soon found out as some one had fitted a 1980 cylinder and new piston was to high.
My Rd 250 C is similar in that points and alternator unique to all other countries and have since fitted a power dynamo as was just to difficult to find a replacement stator.
Hitatchi versus Mitsubishi and nothing is interchangeable.
Thanks ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

After market headlight wiring question 15 May 2019 05:33 #2

• Microcentrum
  • Mini Enduro
  • Mini Enduro
If your model is anything like the US version, the yellow wire is actually an AC current, so you'd need to figure out another rectifier or something. It's also a 6v system so you'd need to figure something out for a bulb.

After market headlight wiring question 15 May 2019 13:26 #3

• Wheel mad
  • Sportsman
  • Sportsman
G'day Theo
Glad to hear your only a bit confused, which is more than I can say for myself !
If I were to offer some generic advice, it would be to ignore wire colours,
And work on individual circuits. For instance, using the continuity tester on your multi-meter identify the 3 wires for the blinkers in the switch, 2 circuits 1 common wire. Match that with the bikes wiring. I suppose what I'm saying is that if your not using genuine parts you've got to make it your own.

• Page:
Moderators: VinnieDEETyamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDevinJames Hart