facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Question This cannot be good!?

• msavitt
  • msavitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by msavitt on topic This cannot be good!?

Thanks for the addition suggestions and thoughts, I will run these down today. A bit more info:  when I said clutch “in” meant disengaged; clutch “out” (when noise occurs when riding) means engaged. 

when I did ride it I shifted up and down all 5 gears and neutral, albeit while never exceeding 5 mph. I wanted to get this data but didn’t want to chew up whatever sounded like it was chewing !

thanks again gents - I am going to check starter assembly against schematic and other suggested items  more info to come. 
24 Nov 2021 07:49 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by RT325 on topic This cannot be good!?

Ok, just to add--"i keep adding sorry"--clutch in or out the three kick gears are still revolving spun by the clutch drum direct from crank. So on the face of it--it sounds like problem will--or might--be internal. But if you got through 5 gears & back to neutral--i don't know. Might be three gears i can think of that could be fitted back to front but i feel the dogs wouldn't engage enough for the drum to revolve to the next gear. 25--23--& 7 in the link. I'll stop annoying you now & hope i'm very wrong.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcy.../dt400e/transmission
24 Nov 2021 12:44 #12

• msavitt
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Hey RT, thank you and others. 

so I studied this mechanism and the manual and what I learned is that the kick idler and the kick gear are always engaged. And I do believe - could be wrong - that the missing / wrong parts (26, 277 are designed to move the ratchet 21 out axially so once running the kick gear rotates smoothly vs click click click which I think is my issue…or my sincerest hope!  We will soon see 
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
24 Nov 2021 13:38 #13

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• msavitt
  • Away
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Check out my big miss and what I believe caused my mystery noise in this video

I didn’t closely inspect the trans after cleaning it because the gears looked so good. As you can see the output shaft has issues; 1st has like 1mm of slop due to a burnt bushing and 3rd not much better. Next time I complete disassemble transmission so that I can really see and feel what’s going on which I think is more difficult to do assembled. 

I decided to keep things cheap and easy so I bought a nice looking complete transmission set for <$30 on eBay that reportedly ran when parked. 

So that’s my noise and my mistake. I hope that I am buzzing around before Christmas, which was the plan all along. 

02 Dec 2021 18:59 #14

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart