facebook1 youtube1 twitter1 instagram linkedin1 pinterest1

NOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community! REGISTER AND MAKE THIS BOX DISAPPEAR!

Tank decal removal

• msavitt
  • msavitt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Tank decal removal was created by msavitt

I would like to be able to peel these off, adhesive and all, in one easy pull expending zero effort!

these are on tight, put some propane heat on a corner and top surface comes off with effort but leaves majority of thickness and adhesive behind. 

does anyone have a process that makes removal a snap? I would like to be able to peel these off, adhesive and all, in one easy pull expending zero effort!

these are on tight, put some propane heat on a corner and top surface comes off with effort but leaves majority of thickness and adhesive behind. 

does anyone have a process that makes removal a snap?
16 Oct 2021 09:41 #1

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by asco on topic Tank decal removal

Advise against using heat near a fuel tank.

Just warm in the sun and peel.

It’s a two part process to remove the decals and then use lacquer thinner or acetone to remove the residue.

You will absolutely need to re paint in any event. 

a
YAMA-LAND RESTORATIONS, 818-521-2109 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 1971 CT1-C (BRANDY) 1970 DT1-C (MONICA) 1973 100cc Hodaka Combat Rat (ABBY NORMAL) 1972 AT2M (ARNOLD ZIFFLE)
16 Oct 2021 09:45 #2

Replied by loner on topic Tank decal removal

I had a fuel tank on a 1980 Honda 900 custom. Removed decals with WD40 where a break in the decal was and clear coat was absent and warmed by the sun.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: MarkT
16 Oct 2021 11:06 #3

Replied by Sneezles61 on topic Tank decal removal

Maybe applicable... Use to remove formica tops that were contact glued on, with Lacquer thinner... wouldn't take much..
Sneezles61 
16 Oct 2021 11:27 #4

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Replied by msavitt on topic Tank decal removal

Thanks all. 

no way the sun or WD40 is going to remove mine, I’ve tried and they are tight. I will try lacquer thinner, hopefully that works.  
19 Oct 2021 21:22 #5

Replied by MarkT on topic Tank decal removal

Adhesive on those stands up to gasoline so doubt anything short of something that removes paint will touch them.

Heat was probably the best chance but super tricky to get hot enough but not too hot.
1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Amsterjam
19 Oct 2021 21:58 #6

Replied by ksours on topic Tank decal removal

Are you going to repaint the tank? If so then paint stripper is your best bet. Let it sit twice as long as recommended. If you do not paint the tank then the paint under the decal will be brighter than the rest of the tank and you may have some work ahead of you polishing.
The following user(s) Liked this Post: Sneezles61
20 Oct 2021 08:04 #7

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Hello gentlemen - yes I plan to repaint Yamaha Competition Yellow to match the original color scheme and the bi**hing DC plastics I bought.  This decal is tough....ever try to saw a block of nylon?? it is that tough.  So I think I will baste it in paint remover...will post some pics too, which will be incredibly exciting and action-packed!  If I didn't need a smooth surface I would run one of those spiked wallpaper remover poke holes so it penetrates gizmos over it!
20 Oct 2021 17:03 #8

Replied by MarkT on topic Tank decal removal

Scoring with a razor blade or something is probably a good idea if using a chemical remover. 

This image is hidden for guests.

1963 YG1-T, 1965 MG1-T, Allstate 250, 1970 CT1b, 1971 R5, 1973 AT3MX, 1974 TS400L, 1975 RD350, 1976 DT175C, 1976 Husqvarna 250CR, 1981 DT175G, 1988 DT50, 1990 "Super" DT50, 1991 RT180, 2017 XT250
20 Oct 2021 18:17 #9

• msavitt
  • Site Supporter
  • Site Supporter

Okay, this was not easy but I am almost “there”, taking about 20 reps of paint remover. I am going to take my sweet time getting this baby smooth, working my way up to 1500 grit…does that make sense?  I am very paint insecure so all advice appreciated. 

since I ended up at bare metal on the aesthetically important surfaces I plan to prime with etching primer made by manufacturer for this paint. Then I paint.  After I paint I want to clear coat with this amazing glamour stuff. My question is, do I clear coat then apply decals then reclearcoat, or do I apply clear coat after applying decals over paint?

thanks for your help, painting is not my thing and I want to do a terrific job!

Okay, this was not easy but I am almost “there”, taking about 20 reps of paint remover. I am going to take my sweet time getting this baby smooth, working my way up to 1500 grit…does that make sense?  I am very paint insecure so all advice appreciated. 

since I ended up at bare metal on the aesthetically important surfaces I plan to prime with etching primer made by manufacturer for this paint. Then I paint.  After I paint I want to clear coat with this amazing glamour stuff. My question is, do I clear coat then apply decals then reclearcoat, or do I apply clear coat after applying decals over paint?

thanks for your help, painting is not my thing and I want to do a terrific job!

26 Oct 2021 14:48 #10

This message has attachments images.

Moderators: yamadminEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart