facebook1   youtube1   twitter1   instagram   linkedin1   pinterest1

logosmallNOTICE:  If you are not a free registered member of the site, you will not see the photos in the forum, and you won't be able to access our premium member content. Please consider joining our community!

DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER

23 May 2020 14:15
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #11

Bbd83 wrote: Can I get a dial gauge indicator locally, special order, or make my own with an old plug?? Which is best?

Harbor freight may have what you need, or you can use a short pencil or length of wire (don’t drop it all the way in!) and find TDC. If you search on the site, I believe DEET posted a timing how to somewhere.

IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
The following user(s) Liked this Post mdscott, Bbd83

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 May 2020 16:22
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #12
If you clean out the decomp into the cylinder the little bit of carbon won't hurt 'might foul the plug' but soon go out the exhaust. But also poke wire or an old spoke up from the port outlet straight up to where you'll see it arrive with the decomp valve removed, as that's where it exits too--can see it with pipe off. Make sure flywheel key is in one piece as doesn't take much to shear it off if the nut isn't super tight. Shouldn't really kick back especially if you're kicking it hard. Exiting times getting an old girl going after a long rest.

23 May 2020 21:32
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #13
Went back after her today as I had pulled the battery and put it on a charger overnight. Reinstalled that at 6.8v (not sure about cranking amps), it is an old batt. Was hoping to get lights...nope. Looked into the wiring towards the rear of the bike, put together a couple connections to no avail and cleaned out the decomp hole. Maybe a bit of carbon buildup but not too terrible. Left the decomp valve out of the bike, cable unhooked. I wore some burly boots this time and mustered up the courage to give it all the gusto and really watch my kick procedure. Turned gas on, after the bowl fills it comes steady stream out the drain hose so I just shut it off then to give it a try. Got the kicker arm right and went for it...fired right up on the first kick and felt like it should, no kickback. Gave it some revs and then took her off choke thinking it'd be my maiden voyage. Put it in first and she died. Tried and fired again and did the same again. When giving it another go it immediately started kicking like a mule again BADLY so I parked it and moved on to my AT1. I'll attach some pics of the wiring stuff in case anyone has advice or feedback off the top of the head or per color or whatever. Haven't got into the wiring diagram yet and I tend to suck at that anyway. Pic of flywheel too. Fairly discouraged here and I have yet to find a step by step timing tutorial for someone who's never done it before.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

24 May 2020 06:27 24 May 2020 06:29 by Makotosun.
Makotosun
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
More
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #14
Headlight only lights up with the motor running. Taillight should light with just the key on. Looking at your wiring, it needs a thorough cleanup with proper connectors added, or at least tape up the twisted together ones!

I don’t think your kickbanK/running issue is the wiring, however. Unless one of the CDI wires is twisted together and has a poor connection. Start by sorting out the wiring. There should be a decent color diagram in the tech section. While you are doing that, I would seriously have DEET test your CDI, as I’m still thinking that’s where your problem lies.

The flywheel does take a special puller - M27X1.0 LH Ext - motion pro Part No. 08-0026 - under $15 on Amazon. There are others about the same price on EBay and elsewhere, but get the Motion Pro and you won’t mess up the threads. (Note the AT125 takes a different puller.)

IF it isn't one thing, it's another.
The following user(s) Liked this Post Bigdog302, ScottMalv

24 May 2020 07:22
ScottMalv
Mini Enduro
Mini Enduro
More
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #15
I had similar issues when i first got my DT250, posted similarly here, sometimes taking a week to recover, limping all week at work, thought it was timing, ordered the dial guage, adapter, and sound box from HVC cycle. But it was my kicking technique. Now I kick it through 3 - 4 times with the key off to get the piston in the right position(TDC?), then turn the key on , and kick all the way through.

But i would get all that wiring cleaned up and have the box tested
The following user(s) Liked this Post Bbd83

24 May 2020 11:33
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #16
Ya I wasn't thinking it was a wiring issue that's just what I ended up fiddling with after hooking up the batt cuz' I saw a couple unconnected connections. That yellow that's twisted together I did quickly because it was part of that white terminal in pic but broken. I was just trying to get lucky and see taillight without getting into the diagram. Posted the pic in case someone would say this is that or the black is a ground or whatever. I've been doing some reading/youtube veiwing on setting timing so I'm gonna try to figure that out. At least find TDC and see if I can find a fire mark or kind of make some progress with learning timing. Will dm DEET about cdi or just splurge on the new one. Gonna do more odds n ends with it today, clean carb, set float height, drain gas, etc. and give it the gusto, maybe make it around the block before I save my foot. You should see the sole of my foot...PURPLE. Getting a dial gauge today probably and will report back. I did feel the difference between getting the kicker where it wanted to be and fully kicking but ya, beating a dead horse here saying it still kicks back hard as soon as it doesn't wanna react properly. If anyone has a link for a simple timing video or tutorial I'd love to see it.

Thanks guys

28 May 2020 14:42
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #17
Had to order a dial indicator, tdc is easy enough to find but I can't see any timing marks on my flywheel or case due to wear. Also ordered a flywheel puller as I think that's essential too, I don't know how you could do what's needed through the windows. Was able to get DEETs email so I'm msgn him about the CDI test. Probably smarter to do that and wait than try a use cdi from eBay. Guess I'll have to practice some patience.

28 May 2020 18:36
RT325
Collector
Collector
More
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #18
Think i've been here earlier but timing set on where you can see the plates always been from marks made by the screws should be pretty good, especially with cdi. Wth points, the gap will vary timing a bit. Could strobe it while someone kicking or spinning the wheel in gear, but it'll show retarded doing that as is how it should be for starting. I'll go & have a read later incase i'm off the planet.

29 May 2020 09:39
Luke
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
More
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #19
There's a "special tool" for holding the dial in the plug hole, but cutting an old spark plug in half and drilling it out to 3/8" worked perfectly well for me. The first time I used a dial for this was with the mag base, and it works, but is much clumsier.

29 May 2020 10:26
Bbd83
Sportsman
Sportsman
More
Topic Author
DT400 ANKLE-BREAKER #20
That's the plan Luke! Got ahold of DEET, timing first, CDI second.

Moderators: yamadminDmanEnduronutMakotosunDEETVinnieDevinJames Hart